Thread: Im hooked!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012

Im hooked!

After months of researching online and getting advice from friends and LBS around my community i decided on a bike to invest on, a used 2009 Giant Defy 1. Its been about 6 weeks since i brought it home from the bike shop and have used it for my work commute at least 3 days each week since, a couple of rides with coworkers and short family rides with my wife and lil one in a trailler hook up.
    In between rides i think of tons of questions i want answers for, i browse through the forum and right before i get to type out my question i come to realize the best answer i will get will be "just keep riding and enjoy your bike, dont overthink it!" And im happy with that so i move on...
    Im tracking my rides with Endomondo and are amazed how quickly the total miles are adding up, im excited to go 2 weeks without having to fill up on gas (i was getting gas at least once every week) and love the feeling of being exhausted yet energized that i get after the longer rides.
    Im truly hooked on this biking thing, i hope to keep on racking up miles and enjoying it every step of the way...

Cycling induced anoesis
    Congrats on the new (to you) Giant Defy, and welcome to the world of road riding.

It's refreshing to read that someone's actually buying into the just ride and enjoy your bike philosophy. With ~six weeks under your belt, you're off to a good start - and your enthusiasm comes through.

Nothing wrong with asking questions along the way, though. Part of the beauty of cycling is that we're always learning... always looking for ways to improve.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Congrats, I have a Giant Defy too - nice ride.

Overthinking is what people here do best. I mean you haven't lived until you've tracked down the inventor and his/her thought process behind the tread pattern on your tires
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I totally understand how you feel. I have been riding for about a month and its more fun than I imagined! My only issue is that I bought a mountain bike instead of a road bike, i'm now shopping for a road bike so that I can do things right! I have put 120 road miles on the current bike, my longest ride being a 21.5 mile ride. I got into cycling to lose weight and figured that a Mountain Bike would make me work harder and be better for the weight loss. I now think that my thought process was flawed. I cant wait to get the road bike in the garage and really see how fun this can get!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    If you use your MTB for its intended purpose, you'll find that it's more fun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    If you use your MTB for its intended purpose, you'll find that it's more fun.
    I completely agree. I'm lucky enough to have a nice trail system about 2 minutes from my house AND a long bike path about 4 minutes from my house, as well as a nice 15 mile (one way) commute. I have a lot more fun on the MTB but I rarely do it. I ride the road bike or commute 5 days a week. I don't know why I prefer riding road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I'm more of a mountain biker by preference, but I have to drive for at least a half hour to get to trails. That also adds messing around with loading and unloading my bike, packing a bag, changing, etc. etc. I can walk out my front door and ride my road bike, and while my commute's much shorter than yours, I have that too. So, much more road riding by volume for me too. When I think about it, I miss going to college at a campus on the side of a hill and with a big trail network accessible a short ride away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I have a mtb, I want a road bike. I am tweaking my bike a bit to resemble a road. If I lose 20 pds and keep riding my wife will let me spend about 2g. I'm already shopping and asking away at lbs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    The place that I ride is right around the corner from my house, any good trails require me to drive a bit to get there. I won't get rid of my MTB, a road bike will get more use..

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I'm glad not to have to get permission to get my bikes.

Still, seems an odd accomplishment/reward order - I find it easier to ride volume on pavement on a road bike, in terms of being comfortable on the bike and having fun. So I think it would be a big help in the weight loss. Maybe there's a lower number that you can just go and do this afternoon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by theplumber View Post
    I have a mtb, I want a road bike. I am tweaking my bike a bit to resemble a road. If I lose 20 pds and keep riding my wife will let me spend about 2g. I'm already shopping and asking away at lbs
    i mean an old mtb, 7 posts 3 more to go smile

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I'm glad not to have to get permission to get my bikes.

Still, seems an odd accomplishment/reward order - I find it easier to ride volume on pavement on a road bike, in terms of being comfortable on the bike and having fun. So I think it would be a big help in the weight loss. Maybe there's a lower number that you can just go and do this afternoon.
    Well, that's just the way it is. I have 8k in photography equipment collecting dust in the closet. I could buy new road bike but problenms would ensue .I'm gonna sell that stuff this weekend. I have to show her and myself i will stay with it. so i have to peddaled off 20 pds on my mtb first.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    LOL, I've managed to get published with a point-and-shoot. There were some circumstances...

If you sell your photography gear, it seems like you shouldn't have trouble plowing a bit of that money back in for a bike. You also really don't need to spend $2000, even for a bike to compete on. It's important that it fit you, and it's nice to have bearings that won't quit in your first season. The rest is details.

At least get some big honking bar ends for the MTB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    LOL, I've managed to get published with a point-and-shoot. There were some circumstances...

If you sell your photography gear, it seems like you shouldn't have trouble plowing a bit of that money back in for a bike. You also really don't need to spend $2000, even for a bike to compete on. It's important that it fit you, and it's nice to have bearings that won't quit in your first season. The rest is details.

At least get some big honking bar ends for the MTB.
    Oh great, now when my wife sees that post she will tell me the same thing, re not having to spend 2k, edit your post plz.lol

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Like everyone else what we need and want are 2 different things

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Well done, cycling is a great sport and pastime.

Latest offers available <here>

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Like everyone else what we need and want are 2 different things
    When I think about cycling, I don't think about how awesome my bikes are. I've got them all to where they work well for me, what I remember is stuff like getting to the top of the singletrack climb in a 50-mile MTB race I did last year, or getting around one more guy at the end of it, or finally ticking over 100 miles in a single day, or how bizarre it feels to be in a peloton on the road. I have to admit I get a kick out of showing my cheap aluminum or less cheap steel (depending on bike) chainstays to people on carbon fiber wonderbikes. But I also know that bicycles are a pretty mature technology and there's very little efficiency left to gain.

The OP's stoked on a three-year-old bike that retailed for a lot less than the figure you're whining about. It's going to last him many years unless he crashes it into something, and if he wants to race, it's quite sufficient. If you want a toy, you should know that you're competing with people who spend $2000 on wheels alone.

Which is not to say that I'm not drooling over a $2600 hardtail lately. It'll be nice when I'm in the right place to get it, or something comparable, but it's not a barrier - I have a hardtail that gets 'er done, and when the rest of my life permits, it sees a lot of hours and plenty of races. I guess that's what's making me react, because these forums are full of people who think they need to spend a lot more than they do on their bikes - you're letting it be a barrier to you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    The OP's stoked on a three-year-old bike that retailed for a lot less than the figure you're whining about. .
    Did I come off like i was whinning, sorry. Good point. I want carbon, sram and good wheels, any suggestions Im 53 and want an awesome bike out of the box, I don't want to get in the modify game. Thanks, whats an op, just kidding, i forgot about him, im very self centered, forgive me plz.

newb
    Apr 2012
    Did I come off like i was whinning, sorry. Good point. I want carbon, sram and good wheels, any suggestions Im 53 and want an awesome bike out of the box, I don't want to get in the modify game. Thanks, whats an op, just kidding, i forgot about him, im very self centered, forgive me plz.
    2g's for a sram bike thats nice out of the box and carbon? I'd go with a Scott CR1 Elite, will probably have to get last years model to reach your budget.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dspiel View Post
    2g's for a sram bike thats nice out of the box and carbon? I'd go with a Scott CR1 Elite, will probably have to get last years model to reach your budget.
    Thanks, i went by a dealer yesterday that sold Scott, but I have an old friend that name, and bad memories surface, it can't be named Scott. Thanks again