RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016

Impression on Groupset

No stirring but I would like to hear OPINIONS and feelings on groupset choices. I'm asking becuase I have a few hundred miles on my first ever road bike and first experience with a double since 1992 ish.

I have been back to MTB since 2015 and have found the SRAM 1x system very reliable and smooth. My road bike is a Shimano Ultegra 6800 (full set) and I enjoy it a lot. It did come with a cracked rear D and it is now fixed. Cables are also readjusted after breaking in. The miles are almost completely on the cracked rear D but the new one doesn't immediately feel any different. The crack seems to have only been noticeable under heavy load.

I'm wondering where the Ultegra magic is? Is the magic in durability? My SRAM X1 (mid level mtb system, I'd say comprable to Shimano road 105) is like butter after I broke it in. I'm also running SRAM CX1 Force 1x on a Santa Cruz CX bike. Shifts are crisp and smooth.

I had very high hopes for the Ultegra but so far feeling flat. Not that I can say anything negative about it. It could just be that its an adjusting to it and getting in tune with it. Shifts don't seem crisp but they do seem like there is a short throw and a gear drops; thats good.

Wondering if anyone else had the same type of feeling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... When everything is dialed in correctly... the magic happens...

I'm running Shimano Ultegra 6800 cantilevers, with Shimano Ulterga cabling and front and back derailleurs, cranks are Shimano Ulterga 6700. Shifting couldn't be any smoother, like warm butter. Maybe its your setup, not adjusted correctly, cable worn... but something doesn't right to me!
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

Adorable Furry Hombre
    There are several shifting criticisms directed at Shimano mechanical road shift/brake-levers. One guy made a list of 6 things big and small:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdOGoO2gryQ

What is funny is the compare and contrast from how road and MTB handle shifting in terms of action and hand input.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by biscut View Post
    Not me. Works perfectly all time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    I do think I am in need of an adjustment. I'm thinking it's in my front D.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    There are several shifting criticisms directed at Shimano mechanical road shift/brake-levers. One guy made a list of 6 things big and small:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdOGoO2gryQ

What is funny is the compare and contrast from how road and MTB handle shifting in terms of action and hand input.
    I don't find the deadband a bad thing. It prevents accidental shifting. Hitting both accidentally and causing the upshift lever to go in and not shift was alarming at first, but you quickly learn not to do this.

The only valid complaint I have is that the rear shifter likes to chew up cables every 2000 miles.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biscut View Post
    No stirring but I would like to hear OPINIONS and feelings on groupset choices. I'm asking becuase I have a few hundred miles on my first ever road bike and first experience with a double since 1992 ish.

I have been back to MTB since 2015 and have found the SRAM 1x system very reliable and smooth. My road bike is a Shimano Ultegra 6800 (full set) and I enjoy it a lot. It did come with a cracked rear D and it is now fixed. Cables are also readjusted after breaking in. The miles are almost completely on the cracked rear D but the new one doesn't immediately feel any different. The crack seems to have only been noticeable under heavy load.

I'm wondering where the Ultegra magic is? Is the magic in durability? My SRAM X1 (mid level mtb system, I'd say comprable to Shimano road 105) is like butter after I broke it in. I'm also running SRAM CX1 Force 1x on a Santa Cruz CX bike. Shifts are crisp and smooth.

I had very high hopes for the Ultegra but so far feeling flat. Not that I can say anything negative about it. It could just be that its an adjusting to it and getting in tune with it. Shifts don't seem crisp but they do seem like there is a short throw and a gear drops; thats good.

The big change or "magic" as you call it is with the improvement going from the last generation 5700/6700 to the present generation 5800/6800. In this latest generation, Shimano added an extra detent in the front shifter on the way down. It used to be that when downshifting the front, you would go into the low gear's LOW trim position. In the newest generation, downshifting takes you into low gear's HIGH trim position. As a result, chain drops are virtually non-existent when adjusted properly.

This all being said, even the greatest drivetrain in the universe will shift like crap if 1) You have cheap or old cables and housings and 2) It's not adjusted properly.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    I found time to get out for a ride yesterday. I'm finding I can sneak away for a 26 mile ride more frequently. It's become my training run.

I can confirm I am need of an adjustment. Front D is not right. Going to check it out and try to adjust later this week.