RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018

Issue with bike's front/back gears

I'm just a normal biker that rides for exercise. I've noticed lately I've been hearing clicking sounds when I apply pressure on my right foot, and it happens when my foot is 45 degrees parallel to the ground peddling downwards. Its also slightly making clicking on my left peddle as well.

I'm a complete amateur when it comes to bike repairs, but i'd think its something wrong with the front gears. I haven't tried switching the front gears and seeing if it sound different when I switch them. I just wanted to know what could be the possible issues with this. Is there a possibility that there might just be something loose? Or something that might have gotten into the bearings(if that's possible)?

Its not just a clicking noise, but it also feels like the right peddle gives a little when I push down on it. Very little, its like a clicking sensation, like it sorta went over a little pebble.

My bad if my spelling isn't on 100%. Not my mother tongue.
    Last edited by ChewytheNord; 06-07-2018 at 02:10 AM.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Those are good links. Clicks and noises can be notoriously hard to track down. From your description, I'd check chainring bolts first. There are many other possibilities, but that one is easy to find and easy to fix.

By the way, it's "pedal", not "peddle."
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Another option.. if you purchased the bike new from a bike shop, most offer free basic tune ups for life (I know my bike store does). Take it to the shop.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Another option.. if you purchased the bike new from a bike shop, most offer free basic tune ups for life (I know my bike store does). Take it to the shop.
    Except all shops are not created equal. A friend of mine has free tune ups on the bike she bought. And every single time they rip her off, up sell her, or screw something up.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Except all shops are not created equal. A friend of mine has free tune ups on the bike she bought. And every single time they rip her off, up sell her, or screw something up.
    Well that sucks.. I would name and shame them.. but that is me.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Pedal...pedaling.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Pedal...pedaling.
    As in "peddle my a$$ all over town", or something like that.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    As in, "peddle my ass all over town."
    you really need an adjective for ass to make this statement meaningful. some choices:

- cheap
    - hot, little
    - sassy
    - tasty
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChewytheNord View Post
    I'm just a normal biker that rides for exercise. I've noticed lately I've been hearing clicking sounds when I apply pressure on my right foot, and it happens when my foot is 45 degrees parallel to the ground peddling downwards. Its also slightly making clicking on my left peddle as well.

I'm a complete amateur when it comes to bike repairs, but i'd think its something wrong with the front gears. I haven't tried switching the front gears and seeing if it sound different when I switch them. I just wanted to know what could be the possible issues with this. Is there a possibility that there might just be something loose? Or something that might have gotten into the bearings(if that's possible)?

Its not just a clicking noise, but it also feels like the right peddle gives a little when I push down on it. Very little, its like a clicking sensation, like it sorta went over a little pebble.
    Simple answer: yes, something is loose.

Check crank bolts first. Then chain ring bolts. Then pedal spindle bolts. Then fine tune click shifters to make sure the chain isn't rubbing the next cog in in back, or the derailleur cage in front.

If that doesn't do it, the BB could be loose in the frame. To adjust the BB you have to take the crank arms off.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 06-06-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    As in "peddle my a$$ all over town", or something like that.
    I knew a girl who once did that. The vice squad ended up arresting her........

Or, did you mean "pedal"? One will get you where you are going, the other will result in a prostitution charge.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    If that doesn't do it, the BB could be loose in the frame. To adjust the BB you have to take the crank arms off.
    Chewy,

This is what I am thinking is the most likely cause. Or depending on the mileage on the bike, the bottom bracket could be shot. Not an expensive repair.

Guys, seriously, the OP said English isn't his mother tongue. If you're going to rag on him for misspelling one word, give him some helpful advice also.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    OP, I know heavier guys and hard riders can destroy bottom brackets. But for non aggressive riding or light guys that may not be the issue.

If you hold your crank arm firm and use your other hand to forcefully move the pedal up and down, does it move? If so, a bushing or bearing is worn. This is likely the cause as it sounds like you're getting the click when power is applied.

If your using clipless pedals they may just need a clean and lube.

These two have been the common causes for me in the past.

That and having a derailleur cable sticking out and burshing against my crank arm as it passes or hitting a spoke on the rear, making a click noise.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Russian Troll Farmer
    BTW, it's poor form to pedal on a downstroke with your foot @ 45° from the ground. Please learn proper pedaling form.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    BTW, it's poor form to pedal on a downstroke with your foot @ 45° from the ground. Please learn proper pedaling form.
    I guess it matters which 45°? Is that the joke? I don't get it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    I guess it matters which 45°? Is that the joke? I don't get it

An unfunny joke at that. It seems the "Russian Troll Farmer" is once again living up to his name.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein