RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

The journey of a thousand miles...

Starts with the first 1/2 mile. Went out again today and made it that same 1/2 mile I made the other day and was tanked. Told myself, "self, let's go further than 1/2 mile today". Self shouted at me when I got to the end of the road to stop or it was gonna kill itself. Legs were on fire. Lungs burning out of my chest. 1/2 mile, and im tanked. Sigh. Dont like it. No sir, dont like it at ALL!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy55 View Post
    Starts with the first 1/2 mile. Went out again today and made it that same 1/2 mile I made the other day and was tanked. Told myself, "self, let's go further than 1/2 mile today". Self shouted at me when I got to the end of the road to stop or it was gonna kill itself. Legs were on fire. Lungs burning out of my chest. 1/2 mile, and im tanked. Sigh. Dont like it. No sir, dont like it at ALL!
    I think you need to relax. It sounds like you are pushing way too hard. People who are totally out of shape and never ride bikes can get on one and put-put-put along for farther than 2500 feet. Find a pace that allows you to go much longer distances and then slowly increase the pace from ride to ride.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    I may have you beat. My first ride as an adult was home from the LBS. I had to stop and rest for five or ten minutes halfway home. Total distance was 0.67 miles. So yes, I had to stop and rest after only one-third of a mile.

I'm guessing the 55 in your name is your age? If so, I started at age 49. It takes some time for we grown-ups to re-adapt to cycling. I rode nearly every day despite the pain and embarrassment. In my fifth month of cycling, I rode my first 50-miler, although it was essentially five 10-mile rides strung together with half-hour breaks between them. Still, it was a significant improvement!

Seven years later, these days I snap off a 50-70 miler before lunch on Saturdays and Sundays after having bike commuted 125 miles during the week.

Keep at it, build up slowly, and give time time. You'll get there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by brucew View Post
    I'm guessing the 55 in your name is your age? If so, I started at age 49.
    Not quite. Im 47. The 55 is my number from college football.

RoadBikeReview Member

The journey of a thousand miles...

Do you have a bike computer? If not, I'd get one that measures cadence. However out-of-shape you might be, an inability to last more than 1/2 mile suggests you might be pounding big gears rather than gearing down (to the lowest, if necessary) and trying to spin at around 90 R.P.M. It sounds like a lot of work, but, actually, you'll have so little pressure on your feet that it will seem a lot easier

Cranky Old Bastard
    Yes, slow way down; don't push yourself that hard. You'll likely hurt yourself and end up hating riding.
    Exercise has to be fun or you'll quit; that's human nature.

Cycling is one of the most fun ways of getting exercise and one of the easiest on your body when you do it right.

When I started riding I did lots of short trips to the drug store or Burger King (back when they had good salads!) or the park and didn't care how long it took me to get there. I purposely didn't buy a cyclometer until months later. I sometimes practiced bike-handling skills by going as slow as I could.

When I got my new bike this past winter I bought a trainer with it. At first I'd only spin for 15 minutes at a time, a few different times a day, and that was the best way for me to get back into riding.

Relax and don't push yourself. Putter around, get your body used to riding and have fun on the bike.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Try to ride farther but don't worry how long it takes you. You should walk up big hills so you don't wear out so fast. Just cruse don't sprint.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks guys! Gonna slow down a bit and just ride for time and forget about distance for now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Has anyone helped you set up your bike? Along with cadence and pacing, that's HUGE in healthy and efficient cycling.