Thread: Kickstand

RoadBikeReview Member

Kickstand

My bike is still rocking the kickstand. I would say I have never seen another Road bike with one. So is it just a weight thing or are kickstands just not cool?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Your bike is more likely to be knocked over, causing damage, when using a kickstand.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    As tig says, if the only thing keeping the bicycle upright is a kickstand, it's very likely to get knocked over. Yeah, if you have a thirty pound bike, this will be less likely. But if you have an actual racing style bicycle, one which weighs under twenty pounds or so, any decent breeze or clumsy passerby will send it to the ground. The bicycle will be much, much more secure if it is chained or cabled to something, even a parking meter...though, of course, it's very easy for a thief to simply lift your bicycle up and ooch the cable over the meter's top.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They're just not cool, as you suspected. Unless you like it and find it useful, as you well might. So that's cool, at least with me :-)
    Ubuntu: I am what I am because of who we all are.

Fecal indicator
    it's a weight thing, a function thing, and an appearance thing...

kickstands fail at all of them.
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    or if you take 3 foot drops off picnic tables with your road bike a kick stand can be a safety issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    They're just not cool, as you suspected. Unless you like it and find it useful, as you well might. So that's cool, at least with me :-)
    +1

I don't race, so the added weight isn't a concern for me. I use the kickstand as something necessary in a pinch, not to prop up the bike for long periods of time. It's certainly a better option than leaning your bike up against ___, only to see it get marred by ___ or worse, fall over. JMHO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've seen 30+ lb cruiser bikes get blown over in what I would term "moderate" winds. Like 15 mph winds.

The safest way to keep your bike when you're off it, temporarily? Lay it on the ground, drive side up. It can blow over even if you lean it against a solid object. Winds are notoriously capricious, especially in built-up areas. South winds can swirl around buildings and other structures, and hit your bike from the north, for example. Nothing short of a cat 2 hurricane can affect it laid down.