RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

leg warmer slipping

Newbie question.

I have leg warmers and they keep slipping. I tried putting them over and under the shorts (under seemed to work best. However they always tended to slip.

Perhaps I'm not pulling 'em high enough, doing something wrong or have the wrong fit. They feel great when I pull 'em tight and don't seem baggie.

Thanks
    Not enough money/skill for higher end bike but
    owner suffers from GAS (gear acquisition syndrome)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Suspenders? Garter belt?

sorry

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by juicetain
    Suspenders? Garter belt?

sorry
    you made me chuckle. However I'm still trying to find out what I should do here.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I wear tights. I've never found leg warmers that wouldn't slip. The drive me nutz. If it warms up while I'm on a ride, I'll just remove the tights & stash'em in a pocket. They hardly take up any more room than the legwarmers anyway. I always wear cycling shorts underneath the tights.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

P=NP?
    Aug 2006
    I use leg warmers all the time. You definitely want them under the shorts. Make sure they are pulled up all the way so they aren't bunched to begin with. Depending on the brand they may be single directional so make sure they are on the correct leg/facing the correct direction. Beyond that, I've heard that if you fold the top elastic over it might stick to the shorts better than to your leg.

RoadBikeReview Member

They might be loose

If you're handy with a sewing machine you can make them fit better. You can also add gripper on the OUTSIDE as well as the inside, using rubber cement or silicone sealant. That way they're sticking to both the shorts and you. It helps if your shorts are tight enough.

I like leg warmers when I expect to warm up during a ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    If you are wearing leg/knee warmers under your shorts (which is the only way you should wear them) and they are slipping, my guess is that you need one size smaller shorts, warmers, or both. You are wearing proper bike shorts with elastic leg grippers, right? I have never heard of anyone having a problem with skipping warmers before.

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxted
    Newbie question.

I have leg warmers and they keep slipping. I tried putting them over and under the shorts (under seemed to work best. However they always tended to slip.

Perhaps I'm not pulling 'em high enough, doing something wrong or have the wrong fit. They feel great when I pull 'em tight and don't seem baggie.

Thanks

I've had the same exact problem and the only fix I've found is pulling them up higher. It would be nice if I could wear them so that they mostly fill that gap between my shorts and almost to my ankles but they don't seem to work that way. A few inches below the knee is all I can get out of them.
    Joined the other team in the name of the economy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifelover
    I've had the same exact problem and the only fix I've found is pulling them up higher. It would be nice if I could wear them so that they mostly fill that gap between my shorts and almost to my ankles but they don't seem to work that way. A few inches below the knee is all I can get out of them.
    +1

This is true of even the best leg warmers that don't slip!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Honestly, I like to use soccer socks when it gets cold. They'll pull right up over tights, which ends up being really warm, and they take up very little room if you want to take them off. Not to mention, they come in lots of colors, so you can match them to your bike. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member

Works for me...

staple gun. It just stings for a minute or two.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    It appears stretching the warmers as high up as I can get them while sitting on the bike is the best bet (If I walk in them or bend down the warmers slip down). Problem appears to be solved for the most part. Perhaps I could have gone a size smaller on the warmers, but they feel pretty snug.

attaque tous le temp
    Nov 2006
    ride more, your legs will get bigger.....

seriously though, it happens. shaved legs and they slip less (they tend to slip on hair) but they will still slip. pull them up high and they usually are ok. if its really an issue, i like to safety pin them to my shorts on my inner thigh (stealth).....easy to get off if you want to take them off, and they will generally stay up that way.....its sort of dorky (hence i try to hide my safety pin/make it as invisivile as possible) but it works, trust me.