Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    The candy is good my friend!! I've road it on my fixed street set-up and still currently ride it on my road bike. Some people say or tell me to switch over to road because they experience "hot spots". I however have not experienced this at all. I've done a few century races and had no problem.

NOW since I have 0 experience behind road pedals. I don't know what the difference is. IMO they work well and I don't see why I would have to change untill I save money up to get some fancy road shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quick question: I know that Keen makes clipless mountain bike shoes, but does anyone know if Chacos makes a pair?

Carless
    I use Crank Bros on all my bikes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I used my mtb pedals then got some speedplay and love them

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    When I got my Trek 1220- I just used sneakers with its Toe Clips and rat Traps. It was just small recreation for me, but I always had foot numbness. I had that bike from 1998 to 2005.

Then I got my Lemond Sarthe- and I figured get the double even though I lived on a steep 3mile climb. I decdied right then to get REAL pedals- but didn't know much about them- and still don't. I wanted the ability to walk if I needed to without hearing the clack-clack, and at least be somwhat comfy. Having the Double made me think I'd be walking on hills.

I got the Shimano M-520's, but don't remember what the shoes were- I do know they are fairly stiff. I just pulled the pedals off my Lemond to put on my new Supersix, but I will get a new pair of Shimano 540's for the C'Dale.

I have no problem with SPD's on a Road Bike.

Chris
    2005 Lemond Sarthe(the Creamsicle)
    2011 Cannondale Supersix 5

RoadBikeReview Member
    If the pedal/shoe combo works for you, then use it. It's that simple.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I'm thinking about getting a steel cyclecross bike, and putting on some MTB pedals, for my commute, which takes me through very rough roads.

Not your typical Cat
    Im so glad I came across this, I have PD M785's on MTB and was worried I was going to have go through the whole new shoe new pedal thing, Im not nearly as avid a rider as most are, and bought my Secteur as an exercise road bike when Im not off roading, Im looking into the M530's as nice budget pedal for my roadie. Thanks for this info.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I suppose one advantage of having MTB pedals on your road bike is that you only need one pair of shoes for both.
    Quote Originally Posted by CabDoctor View Post
    I agree 100% I think
    Computer Repair Sacramento CA

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    nice to know that lots of people here wear mtb pedals. I dont need to learn how to use a new clipless pedal. and dont have to buy a new shoe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks again to everyone for the replies. We've had a couple of pretty cold weeks so I still have yet to try them out but I'm hoping today is the day I can go out for a bit. Thanks to all of these replies, I'm confident that I'll be happy with them. Any other advice is certainly welcome!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just got back from my first 10 mile ride with my Crank Bros. and I gotta say clipless helps A LOT. I actually find it harder to get into them than to get out. Clipping in is pretty easy and getting out is even easier. I was pleasantly surprised at the ease of unclipping.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It sounds like you found a nice bike shop and a rep that listened to your needs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I did. However, for better or worse, despite several smaller local bike shops around, the best prices and selection, and arguably the best service, was found at my local Performance. The LBS staff that I purchased our bikes from are really nice too but their selection is limited and the prices limitless!

Regardless, the two folks I've dealt with at Performance are very nice, knowledgeable, and helpful.

YMMV.

Not your typical Cat
    Not to hijack this, but tell me if I should start another thread.....Im going to put mtb pedals on my road bike to keep my budget down (same shoes) after the recommendations from this thread., I was considering something like Shimano's PD M530 because it mimics the PD-785 on my bike now, but Im curious if the smaller pedal like the PD-M520 would be better? Most of the road pedals are a larger pedal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain Pedals on Road Bike-pd-m530.jpg   Mountain Pedals on Road Bike-pd-m520.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I have Speedplays on my road bike. Smaller than either.

If your shoe is pretty stiff, you should be fine with either. If your shoes are a little flexy, bigger might be better, or it might not help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    If you run MTB SPDs, I recommend the Wellgo RC-715 or MG-8 pedals. They're cheap, and quite light (~250g/pair).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro S View Post
    I run the same SPD pedals on my MTB and road bike. Double sided pedal, walkable shoes, and same pair of shoes works on all my bikes. What's not to like?
    Agreed...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticCat500 View Post
    Not to hijack this, but tell me if I should start another thread.....Im going to put mtb pedals on my road bike to keep my budget down (same shoes) after the recommendations from this thread., I was considering something like Shimano's PD M530 because it mimics the PD-785 on my bike now, but Im curious if the smaller pedal like the PD-M520 would be better? Most of the road pedals are a larger pedal.
    I was looking at the 520's before my sales guy talked me into the Cranks. They seem like good pedals. Although now, I can officially say check out Crank Brother Candy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The pd-a520 will actually give you more contact with the sole than the any of the others. It is more of a "road" pedal but with the SPD cleat. I tried several different ones and much prefer it.

Not your typical Cat
    Mufasa, I did look at the Crank Bros' at my LBS, and he actually preferred the Shimano's along with several other riders in the shop that day, Im not a weight weenie but I did notice the CB's are lighter. I forgot to ask if the the CB's are compatible with my shoe, but more then likely I'll go with the Shim's, simply because Im pleased with my 785's.

craigh-krph, Thanks, Im leaning towards the 520's, I was considering the 780's, they're the same pedal as my 785 without the bigger platform. thye're a few bux more, just not sure a rook like me would even be able to tell the difference.
    Thanks for replies guys.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Mufasa, I did look at the Crank Bros' at my LBS, and he actually preferred the Shimano's along with several other riders in the shop that day, Im not a weight weenie but I did notice the CB's are lighter. I forgot to ask if the the CB's are compatible with my shoe, but more then likely I'll go with the Shim's, simply because Im pleased with my 785's.

craigh-krph, Thanks, Im leaning towards the 520's, I was considering the 780's, they're the same pedal as my 785 without the bigger platform. thye're a few bux more, just not sure a rook like me would even be able to tell the difference.
    Thanks for replies guys.
    That 520 is a good pedal. I use them for any long rides with alot of walking involved. Ragbrai comes to mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I forgot to ask if the the CB's are compatible with my shoe,...
    CrankBrothers use the same 2-bolt cleat pattern as Shimano SPD.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using TapaTalk.
    Scott Addict, Niner Jet 9, Cutter 801 CX
    Facebook, Blog, Amazon Author Page

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    just got my shimano 540s delivered and they will go on the roubaix.
    2004 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Disk
    2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Bishopweather.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have used MTB (SPD) pedals in every road bike I've owned for the last 8 years and never had an issue....from the pedals or from other riders.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast