Thread: My Story

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tipstall View Post
    Andy,
    Can't wait to hear about your rides.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Andy2302 View Post
    I've spent three days reading through lots of stuff here. It's fun & informative.

I was in my mid 20s when my older sister sold me a nice Bianchi 10 spd road bike. I rode that bike until it got stolen 2 years later. Then I switched to motorcycles and later just stopped riding. My dear sis passed away at 73 last summer and left me her latest bike. Yes she liked her bikes even as a handicapped one legged rider. I didn't even know she still rode. Now I have this Hybrid road bike that really zooms along. I knew it was special with the first turn of the pedals.
    So here I am, a 66 YO former smoker recovering from quadruple bypass surgery with a cool bike. I had to retire so there's plenty of time to ride but my butt gets sore. The legs are wobbly after 10 miles too.
    I'm reading up on what I need to do to get a little more serious because riding is so much fun.
    Really awesome bike you have there!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been reading how to adjust the bike to fit me. The LBS owner wants the seat up but my legs are too short with a 28 inch inseam. Any higher makes my hips rock when pedaling. I'm 5' 6", my sis was 5' even before her hip replacement which added 2 inches. lol The straight bars are comfortable but look like they are too high. Is this the nature of a Hybrid or is the bike miss matched for me?
    Cycling shorts help a lot, I did 9 miles non stop a couple days ago with no problems. Another ride is planned for after lunch today.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy2302 View Post
    I've been reading how to adjust the bike to fit me. The LBS owner wants the seat up but my legs are too short with a 28 inch inseam. Any higher makes my hips rock when pedaling. I'm 5' 6", my sis was 5' even before her hip replacement which added 2 inches. lol The straight bars are comfortable but look like they are too high. Is this the nature of a Hybrid or is the bike miss matched for me?
    Cycling shorts help a lot, I did 9 miles non stop a couple days ago with no problems. Another ride is planned for after lunch today.
    Besides saddle height, there are a number of reasons why your hips may rock when pedaling, so unless you have no confidence in the LBS fitter, I'd be careful on second guessing them and going the do-it-yourself route. Preferably, get a second opinion from another fitter, because incorrect saddle height can lead to knee problems, so it's important to get yours positioned correctly.

Re: bar height, don't fret about the 'looks' of a bike fit. The purpose of attaining a good fit is comfort, which promotes good form and efficiency. Aesthetics alone, do not. That said, given that the bike was basically handed down to you, it's very possible that it's somewhat of a mismatch for you.

If you're planning on keeping the bike, my advice is to get a standard fitting from a reputable shop in your area. The expense will be minimal, but worthwhile (long term) if you're serious about continuing with that bike. It might not be an ideal fit, but at least it'll be as close as possible, given the circumstances.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Great stroy.

You might want to forget the idea of going clipless, or even using toe clips (rat traps).

Yeah, that stuff gives you the added ability to pull up the pedal but it comes at a cost. I guarantee you that evey one who's ever ridden clipless eventualy hits the deck a low speeds. Either because they didn't clip out in time when slowing down or because some one else does some thing unexpected.

Either way, hitting the deck at low speeds can really hurt. At medium speeds you'll slide a little bit. Maybe you'll get some road rash but it spreads out the collision over a longer period of time. That makes a huge difference in how 'hard' the fall is.

I ride ~6k miles a year with lots of hills. I ride platform pedals; no clips. Works fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12