Thread: Neck Pain

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018

Neck Pain

I road the racer bike for about 10 miles first time and got the severe Pain in the back of neck. I immediately checked and found numerous ways to stretch and adjust the posture to avoid.. and I am trying.. Just want to check with all experts how do you manage the pain ..any novel way or accessories do one need?

a real member's member
    lower back, knee, and even foot pain, yes.

neck pain, not so much.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
    I road the racer bike for about 10 miles first time and got the severe Pain in the back of neck. I immediately checked and found numerous ways to stretch and adjust the posture to avoid.. and I am trying.. Just want to check with all experts how do you manage the pain ..any novel way or accessories do one need?
    It may just be an adaptation issue. If you just started riding, you might need to work on both neck strength and flexibility. Find some neck stretching excersuzes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    you probably just need to get used to holding your neck that way. Riding more is the answer!
    Quote Originally Posted by CabDoctor View Post
    I agree 100% I think
    Computer Repair Sacramento CA

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    It may just be an adaptation issue. If you just started riding, you might need to work on both neck strength and flexibility. Find some neck stretching excersuzes.
    Yeh.. Started that.. saw Exercise Videos and doing that...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Severe neck pain or for that matter, severe pain related to any part of the spine is not to be taken lightly. "Working through it" is not a good idea. Pain like this is not weakness leaving the body, it's your body saying "don't do this".

If you really want to ride in a race position, I recommend you ease into this slowly (after your neck pain goes away). Start in a more upright position with a more upright stem and all your fork spacers under your stem. After riding pain-free for a few rides, very gradually lower your position and do a few more rides in that position. Think baby steps.

Core strengthening exercises as well as flexibility exercises are a good idea, but choose carefully. Here again, don't work through pain unless it's just muscle soreness.

I was having some back issues recently and went to the sports med doc and did some PT. It turns out some of the flexibility exercises I was doing were actually making things worse. Everyone's body is different and you need to learn your body.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Thanks Lombard for the advise.. Was just eager to ride out but will wait out..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Another question. Is it advisable to raise height with steerer raiser on my Carbon Fork.. How much raise is advisable without compromising safety? I believe 2 - 3 inch would make lots of difference..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another question. Is it advisable to raise height with steerer raiser on my Carbon Fork.. How much raise is advisable without compromising safety? I believe 2 - 3 inch would make lots of difference..
    Do you mean a steerer extension? No, they are not recommended for a carbon steerer. Some carbon forks have an aluminum steerer and in that case, an extender would be OK. NEVER for a carbon steerer. You need to find out which you have.

Try an upright 40 degree stem like this one:

https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...e-236836-1.htm

https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-CYSKY.../dp/B0757HRNW1

I recommend fixed stems like those above with four handlebar attachment screws only. Don't get a stem with only two handlebar attachment screws. I also do not recommend adjustable angle stems as they can eventually creak and cause problems.

As I stated before, place all of your steerer spacers UNDER the stem as long as there is no steerer above the stem clamp.

Another thing you can do as tilt your handlebars slightly upward so your hands are higher when they're on the hoods. Be careful you don't go too far with this as it can cause pain in your wrists if they are bent up too far.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

I make Eagles fly
    Go more upright until the muscles all become stronger. The more I ride the stronger my core is and the lower I can set the geometry. It doesn’t happen overnight
    If you don't follow the liberal flock, you are called a troll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Do you mean a steerer extension? No, they are not recommended for a carbon steerer. Some carbon forks have an aluminum steerer and in that case, an extender would be OK.
    Neck Pain-steerer-tube.jpg

I had this photo so its Allu. steerer tube over carbon so I can put a raiser..I hope. What size is advisable without hampering the safety?..
    I prefer raiser as i can remove it later once I align myself into more lower position, without changing the stem... any Reco about Steer tube raiser?

Thanks for valuable help...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Yes.. i understand and got the massage packed with pain.. will try after 3 days more and with an upright solution hopefully.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steerer tube.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	322538

I had this photo so its Allu. steerer tube over carbon so I can put a raiser..I hope. What size is advisable without hampering the safety?..
    I prefer raiser as i can remove it later once I align myself into more lower position, without changing the stem... any Reco about Steer tube raiser?

Thanks for valuable help...
    https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...iABEgLOIfD_BwE

Follow directions to the letter! A mistake with a headset is a mistake you may only make once. If you don't feel confident doing it, take it to your local bike shop and have them do it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Sure will be able to handle.. Thanks a lot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    The 45 degree Stem looks good but its for Handle bar of 31.8 mm dia. I have 1 Inch handlebar. Is it ok to Wrap the Rubber tapes on handle bar and make it tight fit or one should look out only for 1 inch size STEM?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The 45 degree Stem looks good but its for Handle bar of 31.8 mm dia. I have 1 Inch handlebar. Is it ok to Wrap the Rubber tapes on handle bar and make it tight fit or one should look out only for 1 inch size STEM?
    NO, NEVER, NADA!!!!!! Get the right stem for your handlebar:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kalloy-UNO-...-/292131729381

https://www.google.com/search?q=high...w=1511&bih=707

Last edited by Lombard; 05-04-2018 at 03:09 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    lower back, knee, and even foot pain, yes.

neck pain, not so much.
    Same here, more on knee pain.