Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New bike, to me

RoadBikeReview Member

First ride report!!!

FIRST RIDE REPORT!!!
    Woke up in Utrecht and took a train to the Amsterdam airport (Schiphol) and flew to Chicago. Landed and had a hour drive home. It was 80F in Chicago today, in the middle of March. Ran upstairs and changed into my new bibs, slammed a GU and pumped up the tires of the Allez. Eat a Honey Stinger Waffle and off for my first ride on a road bike in around 30 years.

I had added a new toy before leaving on my trip, a Garmin 200.

Had a great ride. The ride is stiff when going over rough roads. Started off just trying to get use to the bike (split 1), speed up and was headed into a light headwind (split 2), turned around and switched water bottles (split 3), hammer time (split 4), tried to take it easy and cool down (split 5).

Post ride picture.

Hope to do a group ride Saturday.
    Last edited by tipstall; 03-16-2012 at 04:01 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member

First group ride

OK, I had the day wrong, it was Sunday not Saturday.

Rode a St. Patrick's Day Ride, Wheeling Wheelmen Home, and had a blast on my first group ride, (and my second road bike ride).

The ride consisted of 2 loops a 21 and a 15 mile loop, both starting a stopping at the same point. We rode the 21 mile loop first and had a group of 6. I knew I was in trouble as after 2 miles the pace became hard for me to handle. The guys were very nice and waited for me at street crossings and one guy hung back to ride with me. I need to really keep with this as riding in a group is a blast. I had big problems on hills. When we finished the 21 mile loop I waved the boys on, I didn't want to hold them back and figured I had my fun.

Some data from the Garmin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This was your second bike ride you EVER did, and you rode 21 miles? What did you do before you started riding? I find it highly unusual for a 2 time bike rider to be able to go 21 miles on only their second time ever riding a bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    This was your second bike ride you EVER did, and you rode 21 miles? What did you do before you started riding? I find it highly unusual for a 2 time bike rider to be able to go 21 miles on only their second time ever riding a bike.
    2nd road bike ride. I have a mountain bike that I took on road/bike trail rides, never serious and no real plan or goal. Put around 500 miles on it in 4-5 years. I ran quite a bit last summer and play tennis. My knees said to stop and find something a little less stressful on them, (I also need to reduce my weight). I have always loved riding a bike. I rode the trainer a little over winter but man is that boring. The 21 miles was not bad. Being the slowest in the group really pushed me and that was harder.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tipstall View Post
    2nd road bike ride. I have a mountain bike that I took on road/bike trail rides, never serious and no real plan or goal. Put around 500 miles on it in 4-5 years. I ran quite a bit last summer and play tennis. My knees said to stop and find something a little less stressful on them, (I also need to reduce my weight). I have always loved riding a bike. I rode the trainer a little over winter but man is that boring. The 21 miles was not bad. Being the slowest in the group really pushed me and that was harder.
    Glad you explained that, because I was thinking, damn that guy's got some sort of God given talent!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bad cell phone picture from the ride, Bruce, who was nice enough to stay with me, is taking the picture but his better half is the blue Giant. You can guess which one I am.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great thread. I'm learning a lot from you all.
    Super looking bike. Not sure if red is faster though. lol

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy2302 View Post
    Great thread. I'm learning a lot from you all.
    Super looking bike. Not sure if red is faster though. lol
    Red is always faster. You want to know why? Because if your riding a red bike you know everyone is looking at you, so you do your best to go faster because red represents something very clear about your personality…normally associated with danger, excitement, passion, fire, love and of course speed. So you see, the next time you buy a bike make sure it's red.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just found my picture on the ride organizers website, it was about 1/2 - 1 mile from the end.

Hold on I'm watching this
    Looking fast and happy, great combination! Also, great job with the color coordination, you look like you know what your doing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    So the week after my St Patrick's ride I go out of town for the week. Man that will mess up any training. I get back on Friday and leave for vacation on Saturday. Now the good part, Sunday and we arrive in Palm Desert and I have a bike rental lined up. I get the bike Monday, more on the bike in another post.
    Monday, ride #1 on rental, 11.72 miles, 53:59 minutes, no path just wondering and getting use to new bike.
    Side bar > The Garmin 200 and courses. This is the ultimate out of town guide. I went on Garmin Connect ad plotted out a course, it shows bike lanes, elevation and distance. Following it is easy and makes you feel like a local and you can just ride.
    Tuesday, ride #2 on rental, 21.02 miles, 1:26:39 minutes, great ride and really pushed it.
    Tuesday, casual ride with my daughter, 1684 ft downhill, 18.51 miles, 1:18:33 minutes, on comfort bikes. Great scenery.

Wednesday, ride #3 on rental, 30.70 miles, 2:20:39, every emotion, starts out great, unbelievable scenery, beautiful golf courses, I get out of town and motor on, about a mile from when I thought I would be having a date shake my map/gps fails me. I did not zoom in enough to see the road did not go thought. Add to this a almost biff on a loose sand/gravel road. I turn north into a horrible headwind and blowing dirt on a rough rode. It is the opposite of fun. When it can't get worse I find a big dog causing me and he is not friendly, the acceleration to get away kills me. I finally get back on track and after a short period and realize I missed the date shake, I stop at a bus stop to suck down a mandarin orange GU, it's dusty and I'm tired. I get back on the bike and it's bad, I think about rule #5, Velominati › The Rules . I dig and it's tough but as I get into town the wind and dust die down. I finished strong and tired, for sure my best training ride.
    Last edited by tipstall; 03-29-2012 at 06:16 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If your still in Palm Springs you need to take a ride up Tram Way, it's a bit of climb, but it's a blast coming down, I reached 58 mph once. If you do decide to attempt the climb make sure when your coming down you prepare for the traffic light at the bottom. Don't ride your brakes down or the rims could get super hot and blow a tire...usually the front...not good. When you decide to slow down sit upright to let your body grab air, then hit the brakes hard for about 5 seconds then release for 10 seconds and repeat till you get down to sane speeds then stop like you would normally do. Even if you don't make it all the way up at least you know you tried and you can try again the next time your in the area.

Better get yourself a date shake too, those are really good especially on hot days which you shouldn't be having this time of the year, but their good regardless of the heat. I was going to have you send me shake but I'm going to be there myself this June so I'll just wait till then!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice bike!

I've literally just got back from riding my brand new bike from the shop in the glorious sunshine and it was great! I'm so pleased with it.

Have fun on it and let's hope we have a great summer to enjoy some great long distance rides...
    Giant Defy 1 - 2012, 105
    Kona Kikapu - 2005, LX

RoadBikeReview Member
    If your still in Palm Springs you need to take a ride up Tram Way, it's a bit of climb, but it's a blast coming down, I reached 58 mph once. If you do decide to attempt the climb make sure when your coming down you prepare for the traffic light at the bottom. Don't ride your brakes down or the rims could get super hot and blow a tire...usually the front...not good. When you decide to slow down sit upright to let your body grab air, then hit the brakes hard for about 5 seconds then release for 10 seconds and repeat till you get down to sane speeds then stop like you would normally do. Even if you don't make it all the way up at least you know you tried and you can try again the next time your in the area.

Better get yourself a date shake too, those are really good especially on hot days which you shouldn't be having this time of the year, but their good regardless of the heat. I was going to have you send me shake but I'm going to be there myself this June so I'll just wait till then!
    I just wanted to say that this is an excellent bit of advice that I shall try to remember. If I ever get up to anywhere near 58 MPH then I may need a new pair of shorts. I'm only just starting out properly, so we shall see...

Great tip, thanks again.
    Giant Defy 1 - 2012, 105
    Kona Kikapu - 2005, LX

RoadBikeReview Member

Froze,
    Thanks for the route idea, I did not make it over there. I did get a date shake, very good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    This thread is old, but thats a nice bike you have. How are you feeling about it now that the weather is nicer out?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been doing some group rides and last week I wasn't the slowest, what a nice feeling. I rode with the slow guy for a while and told him I was him a month ago and he just needs to keep with it. Had my LBS tune up my rear derailleur and they adjusted my brakes and trued my rear wheel. $20 talk about great service, thanks Lucky Brake.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got killed on a group ride Saturday. My group cancelled as it was going to be 35 in the morning so I went with another group. Nice guys, I had a flat at mile 2 which was fun to change, 36 mile ride and in trying to keep up I blew up. Had a hard time the last 2 miles as I really went past my limit in pace I'm guessing. Legs felt OK Sunday and rode 20 miles Monday, easy as I could still feel some soreness. I did have a great time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got killed on a group ride Saturday. .
    Dang, and your able to speak from the grave to all of us? It's a miracle!

Cycling induced anoesis
    I did have a great time.
    IMO, that's what matters. Kudos to you for your efforts!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    300 miles so far this year and that includes allot of travel time which cuts into my riding. Had a great 28 group ride this weekend. Got another flat, 2 out of last 3 rides. Yesterday I took both tires off and checked the last to tubes. Both times had a rear puncture, both tubes had holes. Found a hole in rear tire that must have been the problem. Checked the rims to be sure it was not a nipple problem. New tubes and tires, Michelin Race 3. All set to go when I get back Wednesday.
    OBEY THE RULES
    Rule #5
    H.T.F.U.
    Rule #9
    If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    very nice!

RoadBikeReview Member
    475 miles YTD and my first 50 mile ride yesterday. Rode the Udder Century (1/2 for me). Rode with a group at the beginning before getting dropped on a hill, rode by myself and than hooked on the back of another group. 2 friends were waiting for me a couple miles up the road and we hit the first rest stop and regrouped with the main group. I was eating every 45 minutes and drinking regularly. I got dropped again and my 2 friends and rode on to rest stop 2. After this we worked together and practiced drafting in both cross wind and head wind. The course designer was evil with a 2 mile uphill near the end, (it was 2 miles but not very steep). The last 4 miles were painful. Felt great afterward and so glad I did it. It was a very well run event.

New bike on order, (suspenseful teaser).
    Last edited by tipstall; 06-04-2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: larger image
    OBEY THE RULES
    Rule #5
    H.T.F.U.
    Rule #9

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Rode 1/2 hour on the trainer yesterday and today. Raised the seat a little more and reduced the clip in tension. I have a friend who rides/races and he is going to help give me a rough fit. I will than ride this spring and decide if I need a pro fit. I'm in Chicago so outside is random right now. I could have gone today or tomorrow but have to work. I'm OK with a little cold and have the proper gear but not ice.
    Nice, how much did you pay for it? Might need to pick me up something similar.

Anyways, here in SoCal we have perfect weather, but my insomnia is acting up again, and all I want to do after work is sleep.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Picked up the new bike today. Teaser photo.

My new Salsa Chili Con Crosso 2012
    OBEY THE RULES
    Rule #5
    H.T.F.U.
    Rule #9

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast