RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017

New bike of my OWN

Trading my entry Scott speedster s50 and Tricross expert (never ride) in for a dedicated road bike got these both used. Went to local shop tried the caad10 w/105 and the specialized allez comp w/105 both about $1500. Liked the allez over the bumps and just seemed more smooth to ride. Might get the rushes groupset since it saves me about $400 for the same bike just a glossy paint scheme with red and blue compared to the flat black which I really like...oh well.

Side note they are going to order a Allez Sprint with tiagra for me to try $12-1300. I see the sprint has a shorter headtube etc so I'll be in a big debate once I try that one out this coming weekend.

Any suggestions on the 2 or 3 Allez's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cycling induced anoesis
    Unless there's a compelling reason to go with more aggressive geo, I'd suggest staying with the Allez (versus sprint), but not knowing your road riding history, that's just a suggestion.

As to models, IMO the Allez E5 Elite gets you all the bike you'll need and saves you some coin in the process.

Bottom line, ride, then decide.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    Unless there's a compelling reason to go with more aggressive geo, I'd suggest staying with the Allez (versus sprint), but not knowing your road riding history, that's just a suggestion.

As to models, IMO the Allez E5 Elite gets you all the bike you'll need and saves you some coin in the process.

Bottom line, ride, then decide.
    Well the Allez Comp w/105 I really liked, but after research I found out it's a 2015 and they are asking $1500 still. The red/blue with tiagra is a 14 w/tiagra. Not sure if with bikes you can ask a lower price due to older models or not. I know in 17 I do not see a comp model of the Allez. With the sprint I can get it new for 1200ish and not sure if they will charge to put it together also.

They offered to order one so I can try. I plan to ride some distance and I'd like some good speed as well. From what I've read the sprint isn't that bad for longer rides. Maybe if I get into it some more maybe do some crit races....maybe.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Bike pricing (both new and used) varies by region, but it's fairly common for leftover models to be discounted - generally around 20% IME. Sounds like this LBS is tight with pricing.

Yes, you can negotiate pricing (the worst you'll here is 'no') and yes, bikes are assembled and tuned prior to delivery. A standard fitting is included as well.

Which brings up an important point... shop for shops along with bikes. Reputable shops promote test rides and the importance of fit. A deal isn't a deal unless the bike fits well.

The suggestions I gave previously were based on current model year offerings. Most here on RBR seem to consider 105 as the bottom end of a good groupset, but IMO Tiagra will suite your needs very well. Day to day, given the terrain you ride and your fitness level, gearing will matter more.

As to bikes suitable for longer rides, it depends on a number of factors and who you ask. Given most OEM setups, it's generally easier to lower bars than raise them, so I wouldn't be too concerned with getting a more aggressive geo to start. But it's your money and your decision.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Not sure if they do an actual professional fitting at this shop, but I do know of one that does. They did allow me to take the bikes and ride them for 20min around the block which was nice. I like the 105 and the frame color on the Comp for an extra 300 plus its a year newer as well. Bike shop suggested that the difference I would notice between the 105 and tiagra would be weight of course the gearing.

I did test a caad10 105 which did feel faster just not as smooth of a ride compared to the Allez comp. With all this said feels like its in the middle off all of these.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Unless someone's experienced a previous injury or has some anatomical issue, a standard fitting is fine. If you decide to opt for a pro fit, you can do that after logging some miles on the bike.

Tire construction, size and pressures can have a discernable effect on ride quality, so if the CAAD was to your liking, consider test riding it and the Allez with equalized pressures, then decide.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Caad was good just liked the Allez better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Everything PJ352 has said is spot on, especially this below.

Which brings up an important point... shop for shops along with bikes. Reputable shops promote test rides and the importance of fit. A deal isn't a deal unless the bike fits well.
    Unless someone's experienced a previous injury or has some anatomical issue, a standard fitting is fine.
    A standard fitting being where they put you and your new bike on the trainer, watch you pedal and make adjustments to dial in your fit just right. These types of fittings usually are done free with a bike purchase. If you bring in a bike that wasn't purchased at their shop, it's not unfair for them to charge $100-200.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    I've checked every local shop as in within 45min. Unfortunately I only found 1 that actually carries the bikes I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Everything PJ352 has said is spot on, especially this below.