RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

New Forte Titan or Used Bontrager Race X Lite

Hi there!

I'm looking to replace my front and I'm trying to choose between a new Titan Forte, which is the house-brand for performance bike, and a used 2005 Race X Lite. I think they're about the same weight (~750g). They're both $60.

My main question is: What sort of life-span do wheels have, and how does their performance vary with age? Will the Bontrager be "worn out"? For cameras, the newer, cheaper model is often way better, but I'm clueless about wheels.

Thanks for your help!
    Eric

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Used wheels are a gamble since you can't see mileage where you get spokes breaking or pulling through the rims. Get the Titans since they are about the same weight and quality.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Given these choices, assuming the Bonty's are of the paired spoke variety, get the Titan's. Those Bonty's have a history of rim cracks at the spoke holes and have since been redesigned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Thanks LC

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I would go with a neuvation instead, they have a great track record http://www.neuvationcycling.com/product195.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    Given these choices, assuming the Bonty's are of the paired spoke variety, get the Titan's. Those Bonty's have a history of rim cracks at the spoke holes and have since been redesigned.
    Yup it is the paired spoke version. Looks like I will stick w/ the Titans!

What is the normal lifespan of a wheel?

Eric

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Engreeks1 View Post
    Yup it is the paired spoke version. Looks like I will stick w/ the Titans!

What is the normal lifespan of a wheel?
    Eric
    Too many variables to answer that. Rim design, spoke count, rider weight, style of riding, road conditions, tire pressures (among other factors) all play a role in determining durability/ longevity.

If durability is your goal, Mavic OpenPro rims/ Shimano Ultegra hubs are hard to beat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    [QUOTE=redlude97;3401767]I would go with a neuvation instead, they have a great track record [QUOTE]

aren't these and the titan basically the same wheel? made by the same factory just a little different look.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They are similar to the Titans but they have a beefier hub and thicker spoke baldes. I wouldn't recommend the Titans if you're over 200 lbs. I was 203 lbs. and started snapping spokes in the rear wheel after owning them 3 weeks. Thanks to Performances stellar customer service, it was replaced without question. That second one failed 10 months later. I have a pair of Neuvation M28s that I've had for three years without problems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I really like traditional 32-spoke 3-cross wheels. For your budget, you can probably get a Tiagra hub and Open Sport rim, which would give you a nice long service life.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    [QUOTE=rteirish;3402405][QUOTE=redlude97;3401767]I would go with a neuvation instead, they have a great track record

aren't these and the titan basically the same wheel? made by the same factory just a little different look.
    They may look similar but do not use the same components as explained below. Many people have had issues with the titans whereas the neuvations have a great rep both here and on other forums. They also come with rim tape preinstalled and a skewer which the fortes do not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm one who didn't get along with a Titan. I'm pretty sure the problem lies in build quality control - very inconsistent. So IMO, both your options suck. And you might want to opt (and wait out if needed) for a better wheel. Hell, I'd take an Open Sport or CXP22 build as a stand-in wheel over either of those.