Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

New in the forums

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  PJ352 
#1 ·
As a matter of introduction,am sort of new to road bikes. (does it count if Ive been riding since very young?)I have crashed more than once,and I do know how to change a tire.Now ,honestly have not been on a group ride since I was 16 ,am now 64.My last bike was stolen and am just getting acclamatrice to clip shoes and gear shifting.
All this said, am enjoining my ride.So far am up to 8 miles round trip. @ avg 11 mph. I weight 232 ,and 5 mth ago weighted 277.
I would like to ride 50-100 miles at some point and bring my speed up to 15-19 miles per hr. Is this realistic. I do not know. One of the reasons am here. Any thoughts,suggestions or comments are most welcome.Thanks for letting me come into your mist. hope to learn something.:)

#2 ·
Hi CM and welcome to RBR!

Kudos on your recent weight loss! Do you have any bike clubs that offer casual rides around where you live? That would be a great motivating factor if you can find others who are at your level.

As far as getting to 50-100 miles at 15-19mph average, it all depends how motivated you are and how much time you have. Work up gradually and be patient. I am in fairly good overall shape, 175lbs. and a 3K mile per year rider who generally does 40-50 miles rides and I average anywhere between 13-15mph depending on how good shape I'm in at the time. If I'm averaging 16-17mph, it's on shorter (15-20 miles) and flatter rides. Just to give you some perspective.

#3 ·
I'll second the kudos for your weight loss.. great work!

As to the goals (50/100 miles, 15/19 MPH avg) my advice is to try your best to ride consistently (daily, if possible), incrementing your riding time by about 10% weekly. If you do that (and feel good doing it) you'll naturally become stronger and ride further, faster.

That said, I think key to staying with the sport is to (literally) enjoy the ride. Pushing too hard/ too fast just sets us up for burnout and injury, so (again) IMO consistency and staying in tune with how you feel will net better results, long term.

Lastly, HOW we ride has a lot to do with how efficient we are on the bike. So 1) make sure your fit is right and you're comfortable on the bike, and 2) read up on pedaling technique and cadence - just these two facets of cycling will help you build endurance.

Good luck, and keep us updated on your progress.

#4 ·
As for joining a club; make certain that it's not a bunch of young 'hotshoes' that'll leave you in their dust miles from nowhere. Your posted specs puts you firmly in the 'newbie-casual' type of ride, the type that usually either includes or ends up at an ice cream retailer, and nearly always has a 'sweep' to deal with those who are having difficulty finishing.

Also, at your age/size, you need to do thorough stretching before you do any sort of strenuous cycling. Keep at it, and you'll do OK. I used to be 263', and today I'm 170 lbs.

#5 ·
As for joining a club; make certain that it's not a bunch of young 'hotshoes' that'll leave you in their dust miles from nowhere.
In other words, a club that describes themselves as a "touring club" rather than a "racing club" is where to look. My club would put you in the C category if you average 11mph. Many clubs consider that the D category. It doesn't matter what it's called as long as they have them. And as No-Time said, make sure they had no-drop rides with a sweep.

Start club rides lower than you think you may be. If it's too slow for you, move up to the next level. That's better than starting too high and becoming discouraged when you are left in the dust.

#6 ·
thank you so much for your advise. I was lucky enough to get a good fitting. am very comfortable on my bike. Doing some exercises for strength on my back,neck and legs.The gentleman who did my fitting is 70 and gave me some good tips.+I have lost a lot of weight and need to make sure I build some muscle and not loose some. Am so glad I found this forum.your advise,is well taken. I found good advise and concern from the least expected places .Am focusing a lot on my pedaling approach. Purchased a cheapo Computer ,no cadence. Might have to go and get something more suitable. trying to get out as much as I can ,on a daily basis.

#8 ·
I have lost a lot of weight and need to make sure I build some muscle and not loose some.
Aerobic exercises such as cycling while dieting will accomplish that, so stay the course.. you're on the right track.

Purchased a cheapo Computer ,no cadence. Might have to go and get something more suitable.
You could count out your pedal strokes for 15 seconds, then multiply by 4, but for around $30 you could get a basic, wired computer with cadence like the one below. Nashbar has 20-25% off sales often.

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_135654_-1___204661

#7 ·
:thumbsup: 170 lbs? you r my hero. I dont eat ice cream,but know what you mean.
Actually,would like to get to 180-190 lbs in the next 4-6 mths. I tend to forget about stretching.Need to make it a best practice. I have looked around for clubs,for the mast all I see is evidence of they going to leave my bud behind . no prob. Something will come up.Just got invite to a casual tour in April .will keep you all posted on my progress .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.