RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

New guy with an old bike

Hello, I am new to road biking and new to this forum. Last year my dad came across a road bike, we didnt know much about it but he put new tubes, tires, and cables on and took it out with some friends. It didnt stick much with him so it sat through most of the summer and the winter. This spring I decided I would give it a go, I cleanded it up and threw some plastic walmart mtb pedals on it I have gone on a couple rides now, one was around 22 miles and the other about 20. It is sure a lot of fun and a good way to get outside and clear your mind.

The bike is a Motobecane Sprintour and after looking at pictures on google we are thinking its a mid 70's model. The shift levers are mounted on the frame below your knees. It seems like a good bike to start on for what I am doing with it. If anyone knows much about these older bikes and has some tips it would be cool.
    Last edited by salvin36; 04-27-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Given the age of the bike, you might want to take a couple of pics and post in the retro-classic forum. Some members that frequent that area know a lot about these older bikes.

Just curious, do any of the components say Shimano 600 on them?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Alright, I will take some pictures and make a thread in that section as well.

Both the Front and rear shifters say shimanoo 600, what does that mean?

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by salvin36 View Post
    Alright, I will take some pictures and make a thread in that section as well.

Both the Front and rear shifters say shimanoo 600, what does that mean?
    I'm no expert, but it might date the bike to around the late 70's... around 1978. If so, it'll have non-indexed shifting and 5-6 cogs at the rear (can't remember exactly which).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Awesome, I really enjoy riding it. I trued the wheels today and took it out for a ride and that seemed to make a big difference. Here are some pics I just took.

sigh... I need 10 posts

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by salvin36 View Post
    Awesome, I really enjoy riding it. I trued the wheels today and took it out for a ride and that seemed to make a big difference. Here are some pics I just took.

sigh... I need 10 posts
    Just go tell 7 members they have nice bikes and you'll be there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Haha good thinkin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Here we go

Cycling induced anoesis
    Nice lugged steel frame. And it looks to be in very good condition. Judging from the saddle height, the bike's too big for you?

I suggest posting these pics in the retro forum, but I don't think I'm far off on the age. If it were my bike, I'd take some time to tear it down, clean, lube, replace the worn parts and reassemble.

Great bike!! Thanks for posting the pics.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    The bike is certainly tall, I am about 5'11" but the height seems to be very close where it is. I would actually like to raise the seat about a half inch but the seat post is stuck in the frame.

Also, I did start a thread in the retro section.