RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017

New to more serious biking

Im 54 and had spinal fusion surgery in 2015, can't jog anymore, so decided on biking. I almost bought a Diamondback 29er, but decided on a 2014 Fuji Special Police Mountain Bike 26 instead. I am interested on everyone's take on it quality wise. Thanks in advance.
     photo 20170904_094053_zps2yschcnc.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by CrotchityNewBiker View Post
    Im 54 and had spinal fusion surgery in 2015, can't jog anymore, so decided on biking. I almost bought a Diamondback 29er, but decided on a 2014 Fuji Special Police Mountain Bike 26 instead. I am interested on everyone's take on it quality wise.
    This is a road bike forum. You probably will have better luck posting this on an MTB forum, like mtbr.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, quality-wise, Diamondback= inexpensive chain-store bike, and Fuji=inexpensive online-order bike. 26" wheels are smaller than 29'ers, so if you are short, go for the 26, if you are tall, go for the 29. But whichever you get, don't expect to impress anybody on this site with either bike.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017
    Wow, presumptive and arrogant is spot on. Reminder- I'm 54 so I don't care what anyone thinks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Seriously, neither of those bikes are serious, they are more casual.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrotchityNewBiker View Post
    Wow, presumptive and arrogant is spot on. Reminder- I'm 54 so I don't care what anyone thinks
    No Time Toulouse=Presumptive and Arrogant. Just so you know. He's already been banned once, so take him with a grain of salt.

Anyway, I'll give you my take. Both of these are mountain bikes, so I am wondering, are you buying this bike for mostly off-road riding, or a mix of roads and trails?

Keep in mind that if you will be spending most of your time on narrower trails, the 26" wheels will be better as they will have a shorter turning radius. However, if you will be spending most of your time on roads or wider carriage trails/rail trails, the 29er will work fine.

I also should ask how much riding you expect to be doing? Diamond back is generally an entry-level brand, Fuji is a little better quality. If you will be doing less than say 500 miles per year, either of these will be adequate. Once you become more serious, you will want something better.

And what Kerry Irons said is true. You will get more responses on the sister site www.mtbr.com .

Good luck!

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Well, quality-wise, Diamondback= inexpensive chain-store bike,
    You really don't know what you're talking about.

https://ride.diamondback.com/teams

and Fuji=inexpensive online-order bike.
    Fuji Bikes | Find a Retailer

Fuji Bikes | Athletes and Teams

Fuji Bikes | SL 1.1
    $7500 is really inexpensive.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

gazing from the shadows
    That bike is fine. It would be fine for a starting on the trails riding as an MTB... for a year or two. But that's not what you will be doing.

For the road, you have a bike that will last for a very long time with simple maintenance. You may decide you want something a bit different if you stick with road cycling, but there is absolutely nothing on that bike that will stop you from riding short rides, or all day rides, or anything in between. It should last as long as you are willing to ride it.

Other than getting the fit right (perhaps a new stem to change position, given your back; maybe a new saddle... butt depending), you won't NEED to do anything to it. You might want to, but you would be better off saving money for a new bike, if desired, down the road. That's my suggestion

I could pick at it, of course. Not a fan of mechanical discs, for example. But things like that won't matter at this point.

Enjoy!

(BTW, here is the spec for that year... and an example on a very deep discount https://www.botach.com/fuji-2014-pol...-wheels-white/ )
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    (BTW, here is the spec for that year... and an example on a very deep discount https://www.botach.com/fuji-2014-pol...-wheels-white/ )

For a bike of that price, it's not badly specced. For $500, I would have expected an entry-level Dart suspension rather than the better Recon. Except for the Deore rear derailleur, the rest of the drivetrain is entry-level, but still solid Shimano, not a cheapo brand.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    You really don't know what you're talking about.

https://ride.diamondback.com/teams

Fuji Bikes | Find a Retailer

Fuji Bikes | Athletes and Teams

Fuji Bikes | SL 1.1
    $7500 is really inexpensive.
    I doubt he's looking at those.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I doubt he's looking at those.....
    That's irrelevant. YOU said those BRANDS weren't good quality. Which is utter BS.
    And YOU said Fuji was online order. Which again... BS.
    Last edited by tlg; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:13 AM.