Thread: New Rider!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018

Talking New Rider!

Hello everyone!

I am a mountain bike rider who decided to switch over to road cycling. Out of my 3 years of mountain biking, I spent 2 of them on my Stumpjumper. I loved that bike, but I decided to sell it yesterday to get a road bike instead. I actually sold the bike in <2 hours on Pink Bike! I decided to switch because I just don't mountain bike enough to keep my bike. I want to pile on the miles, but I can't always pull it off on my mountain bike while on the trails.

I picked up a used Specialized Tricross Sport to try out some road cycling and I loved it too much! At 5'11", I realized that I was too small for this bike. My Tricross is 58cm and according to the Specialized fitting chart, this bike should fit. Well, I didn't know any better and I put it up for sale due to fitment issues.

I am going to take delivery of my 2018 Giant Defy Advanced 2 in a couple of hours. I took it for a ride yesterday and loved it too much! I also picked it up for $300 under sticker too.

Right now, I am setting a goal to pile on the miles and lose weight. I am a retired Air Force aircraft maintenance veteran with too many disability issues. Biking is the only thing that makes me feel better about myself. Here in WA, I am really lucky to have a bunch of paved riding trails in my area that stretches for miles. My wife also wants to join me in road cycling and she is excited to share the experience with me.

For now, I am going to be rebellious and wear mountain biking gear on my road bike until I find some bibs and jerseys to wear. I also plan to use my Shimano Torbal shoes and SPD M-520 pedals on this bike for the time being as well. I road flats on my mountain bike, but I also tried clipless out on the side.

Well, enough here! I just wanted to say hi. Please feel free to tease me about my mountain biking background or share any friendly tips as you see fit!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have fun. Wear whatever you're comfortable wearing. Losing weight and getting strong and fit and feeling good and having fun are worthy goals; miles, those are just numbers, but use whatever motivates you to get out and ride hard. It's nice that your wife wants to come along.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Do what you need to do to enjoy riding. Don’t worry about what others think. It’s all about having fun.

I make Eagles fly
    I love MTB riding but my road bike gets most use. I still do it all, I figure why not. I also just retired from the Air Force, the aches and pains from being a crew chief kinda sucks at times, but getting out and enjoying trumps the pain. Look into the your Team RWB If you want to run into other active veterans, we have groups everywhere.

Enjoy, pedal and keep going.

I did run into a retired avionics troop the others day, 83 years old and puts in a few hundred miles a week. Was wearing an Air Force cycling jersey and stopped when I was changing a tire. I hope to be like that guy.
    If you don't follow the liberal flock, you are called a troll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrasmak View Post
    I love MTB riding but my road bike gets most use. I still do it all, I figure why not. I also just retired from the Air Force, the aches and pains from being a crew chief kinda sucks at times, but getting out and enjoying trumps the pain. Look into the your Team RWB If you want to run into other active veterans, we have groups everywhere.

Enjoy, pedal and keep going.

I did run into a retired avionics troop the others day, 83 years old and puts in a few hundred miles a week. Was wearing an Air Force cycling jersey and stopped when I was changing a tire. I hope to be like that guy.
    Awesome stuff! It seems to me that military veterans prefer road cycling. I know quite a few who choose to cycle on the road rather than mountain bike. This might sound a little embarrassing, but I was looking at my Tricross yesterday and realized that it's a 56cm bike, not a 58. It doesn't fit right though.

I compared specs with my Defy and it seems that the Tricross is a bit longer. Either way, I prefer my Defy for all of my cycling needs. I may turn my Tricross into a commuter seeing my college campus is only 3 miles away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi Jet,

Welcome to the world of road biking! And welcome to RBR! I started road biking over 12 years ago and it literally changed my life! It's awesome that you're getting your wife to ride with you too.

If you are 5'11", a size 56 does sound like the right size for you. I am 5'10" and ride a 56. Though keep in mind that different bikes of the same size have difference geometries, so one size 56 bike could fit like a glove and another could feel like a torture device.

There is nothing wrong with wearing mountain bike gear on your road bike. And there is certainly nothing wrong with using mountain shoes and SPD M-520 pedals. I, as well as many of my fellow roadies use mountain shoes and pedals. They are easy to clip in and out of, have a good float and are adjustable. The shoes have recessed cleats which makes walking easier, not to mention that you don't sound like a horse when you go into a public place, LOL! I am actually using SPD M-530 pedals now as they have a slight platform which in my case, helps to prevent a numb spot on my foot.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Hi Jet,

Welcome to the world of road biking! And welcome to RBR! I started road biking over 12 years ago and it literally changed my life! It's awesome that you're getting your wife to ride with you too.

If you are 5'11", a size 56 does sound like the right size for you. I am 5'10" and ride a 56. Though keep in mind that different bikes of the same size have difference geometries, so one size 56 bike could fit like a glove and another could feel like a torture device.

There is nothing wrong with wearing mountain bike gear on your road bike. And there is certainly nothing wrong with using mountain shoes and SPD M-520 pedals. I, as well as many of my fellow roadies use mountain shoes and pedals. They are easy to clip in and out of, have a good float and are adjustable. The shoes have recessed cleats which makes walking easier, not to mention that you don't sound like a horse when you go into a public place, LOL! I am actually using SPD M-530 pedals now as they have a slight platform which in my case, helps to prevent a numb spot on my foot.
    Great info, thanks for sharing! My wife and I might look for an entry level bike this weekend. I have a feeling she may want a fitness bike due to the mountain bike style handlebar.

I also read up on more info regarding my Giant bike. I guess it uses some kind of Compact Road Design technology that helps with fitting the bike to you and creates a better riding experience. This tech could be the reason why my Tricross felt so large in comparison.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlast View Post
    Great info, thanks for sharing! My wife and I might look for an entry level bike this weekend. I have a feeling she may want a fitness bike due to the mountain bike style handlebar.

I also read up on more info regarding my Giant bike. I guess it uses some kind of Compact Road Design technology that helps with fitting the bike to you and creates a better riding experience. This tech could be the reason why my Tricross felt so large in comparison.
    If your wife wants straight or riser bars, she may want a hybrid bike. The Cannondale Quick is a good one to check out.

If you're interested, try to find those two bikes on their websites. Go to the section on geometry. There are two critical measurements that will tell you a lot more than an arbitrary size like 56 or Medium. Look for STACK and REACH. If you compare these two bikes, you will see they are different in these two measurements.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I started around 2011 and it is by far my favorite fitness activity. Like others have said, do what works for you for now and enjoy yourself above everything else. It's a great way to get fit, explore, and have some fun. Welcome and looking forward to hearing about your progress. Enjoy new bike day too!

Oh and you can often find decent bibs and jerseys on closeout on competitivecyclist.com and chain reaction cycles, etc. I recommend going cheap until you are certain about your sizing and brand preferences once you get to that point, if you ever do.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Jetblast...anyone who knows WTF is going on won't care what you wear or look like. The fact you're out there riding, developing relations, etc..is the important part.

My only advise to you if you want to lose weight is this: You gain fitness on the bike and lose weight in the kitchen. Most over eat when they increase miles on the bike generally because they don't eat enough on the bike and are so hungry when they get back they overeat (initially and throughout the day). I highly recommend a calorie counting app to track cals in v. cals out and get a handle on portion size.

I make Eagles fly
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlast View Post
    Awesome stuff! It seems to me that military veterans prefer road cycling. I know quite a few who choose to cycle on the road rather than mountain bike. This might sound a little embarrassing, but I was looking at my Tricross yesterday and realized that it's a 56cm bike, not a 58. It doesn't fit right though.

I compared specs with my Defy and it seems that the Tricross is a bit longer. Either way, I prefer my Defy for all of my cycling needs. I may turn my Tricross into a commuter seeing my college campus is only 3 miles away.
    It’s a good mix and many do both. I enjoy Mountain better, but the trailhead for road starts in my driveway without a 20 mile drive
    If you don't follow the liberal flock, you are called a troll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    Jetblast...anyone who knows WTF is going on won't care what you wear or look like. The fact you're out there riding, developing relations, etc..is the important part.

My only advise to you if you want to lose weight is this: You gain fitness on the bike and lose weight in the kitchen. Most over eat when they increase miles on the bike generally because they don't eat enough on the bike and are so hungry when they get back they overeat (initially and throughout the day). I highly recommend a calorie counting app to track cals in v. cals out and get a handle on portion size.
    Thanks for the info. My wife doesn't allow much junk food in the house and makes me eat vegetables with virtually every meal. Today, I rode 17 miles with about 900ft of climbing and I was smart enough to bring a couple of CLIF bars with me. I can see how cycling can sap your energy quick while out on the road. I know mountain biking used to wear me down after a few miles and having at least 1 CLIF bar in between sessions made a difference in my ability to keep riding.