Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

New To Road Biking - Need Suggestions!

Hello,

My name is David and I recently have gained interest in road biking. I am not new to bikes, I am just new to road bikes. I have been mountain biking for about two years now and enjoy it. I would just like to add another similar hobby to the list.

I am on a budget and plan on purchasing a used bike either locally or online (If anyone can suggest a few websites for used bikes, please post!). I am looking to spend anywhere up to about $650-700ish. But would like to spend less than that for a used road bike!

(I do understand, you get what you pay for. I am just on a tight budget at the moment as a student and plan to just find a nice used (or new) road bike for my budget)

I found this Felt on my local Craigslist and I would like to hear the pro's and con's about this particular bike. I would also appreciate it if anyone could point me in the correct direction on other bikes as well!

Felt Z100 - Found on Memphis's Craigslist.
    Felt Bike

Thank you,

- David
    Last edited by purp_le28; 06-09-2013 at 07:40 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I am also from the Memphis, TN area if anyone on this forum relates to my area.

wyrd bi ful rd
    Go to your local LBS and try out a few bikes for size. Sizing if very different for road bikes.

Some manufacturer sites are able to size a bike for you but that is a rough guide and should be backed up with an actual demo. Granted that a ride around the car park may not give you much but it will at least set you on your way. If possible try to take the bike out for a longer distance.

Cycling induced anoesis
    First thing to do is pin down your sizing requirements. Not by frame size (they vary by manufacturers and models), but by geo measurements. You can do this by opting for a standard fitting at your LBS for around $50, but some will give you a cursory fitting free of charge.

When there's no intent to buy, I don't believe in using a LBS's inventory to test ride and size, and doing so can actually mislead you into thinking you take a certain size, which may well not be the case when you start looking online or elsewhere.

As far as options of where to buy check your area for bike coops, check classifieds in community newspapers, CL and even LBS's selling used. Keep your search local so that you can test ride the bikes of interest and also ask the seller to have your bike of choice checked out by a LBS. Another reason to work with the LBS on sizing... so that you can tap them as a resource as your search continues.

Re: the Felt, it's hard to tell much from pics, but if you think it's close to your size, check it out. To guard against making a mistake, I suggest following the above guidelines before committing to the purchase.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    I bought my first used road bike off Craigslist back in the spring after years on an MTB. In addition to what everybody else here has said, you should try to make yourself familiar with the levels of road bike components from the different manufacturers. It helps when you're comparing bikes to know that a bike with Shimano Ultegra or SRAM Force has a higher level of components than a bike with Shimano Tiagra or SRAM Apex, etc.

I put together a sort of checklist. I knew the size I wanted and the minimum level of components. Then, I watched ads online until something popped up that met the requirements. It took about a week, but I think I got a little lucky.

Also, you should figure in the cost of replacing a few parts on a used bike. Tires that are more than a few years old should be swapped out. Pedals are an individual preference, you might need a new set. Handlebar tape is likely worn out. You might want a second set of basic tools, definitely get a high-pressure pump

A set of road shoes will help eventually. They're much stiffer than MTB shoes. But that can wait a while. Good luck.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Thank you for all suggestions and input! I am currently at work so I can't type too much. I will post again when I get home on a computer to thank you all and ask some more questions!

If this road bike happens to be my size (I plan on getting measured tomorrow) then what are your thoughts on this?

Raleigh R 500 for sale

I can possible talk him down less than $500. What should I offer? It is about 5 years old.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    .whoops. Edit
    Last edited by purp_le28; 06-09-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Cycling induced anoesis
    I'm skeptical that Raleigh is 5 years old. I'm thinking more like 10 plus.

2002 Raleigh R500 - BikePedia

And since the seller implies casual use, I'm also skeptical that his wife rode it with that saddle to bar drop and pretty aggressive stem set up.

Lastly, if I'm even close on this, the bike is way overpriced. MSRP'd for $880, so maybe offer somewhere around $100. But honestly, I'd pass on it altogether.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah, that guy is trying to take someone for a ride. Pass on that one for sure....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks guys. Obviously I am a rookie. If I find anything else locally I will post it in here for you all to give me advice!

Thanks for the honesty

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Looking on Craigslist, I feel like every road bike I find is a rip off. Here are a few more I have came upon. Opinions?

What CM is a medium frame?
    Giant OCR C3 Bike / Bicycle

Felt Z100 road bike

Giant Defy Road Bike

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by purp_le28 View Post
    Looking on Craigslist, I feel like every road bike I find is a rip off. Here are a few more I have came upon. Opinions?

What CM is a medium frame?
    Giant OCR C3 Bike / Bicycle

Felt Z100 road bike

Giant Defy Road Bike
    My opinions... When buying used (with no warranty) I advise against CF frames. They can fail differently that alu or steel and require special equipment to detect (hidden) problems.

Judging by pics alone, the Felt looks ok, but you don't yet know your sizing requirements, so it may (or may not) fit you. Same advice applies.. before committing to the purchase have a reputable shop assess the bike and fit.

I checked out the link to Hub City. They have a couple of new bikes on their website within your price range and obviously sell used. I think they're a better bet than buying from a private seller, because you'll get some sizing/ fit assistance and possibly a warranty buying used.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I agree. Warranty is a big deal when it comes to paying for something that cost this much.

Before any bike purchase is made, I will go get fitted for the correct sizing. At the moment I am just browsing around to get an idea of what to look for in the close future.

Hub City is about an hour away from my house, so I will give them a visit on a weekend that I have time. But for now I will look online or local.

What are your opinions on Jamis bikes? Honestly, I am not too familiar with road bike companies so please bear with me.

JAMIS BICYCLES

JAMIS BICYCLES

Cycling induced anoesis
    What are your opinions on Jamis bikes? Honestly, I am not too familiar with road bike companies so please bear with me.

JAMIS BICYCLES

JAMIS BICYCLES
    Jamis is a first rate company offering first rate products. Their packages oftentimes trump some of the bigger brand offerings.

Because they're a smaller company, smaller shops tend to carry them, which (like most things) brings with it advantages and disadvantages.

I prefer steel to alu, so assuming it suites your intended uses and fits your anatomy, (IMO) the Satellite would make a very nice first road bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I looked around online at brand new Satellite's and it looked as if the cheapest ended up to be $750 shipped or $700 + shipping

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    I looked around online at brand new Satellite's and it looked as if the cheapest ended up to be $750 shipped or $700 + shipping
    Be careful about buying Jamis bikes online. I don't think that they sell bikes online! You might wanna double check that...
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeet View Post
    Be careful about buying Jamis bikes online. I don't think that they sell bikes online! You might wanna double check that...
    I agree. And even if you do find a 'new' Jamis online, don't buy it because Jamis won't acknowledge the internet sale and you'll get no warranty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Gotcha. The websites I did find the Jamis's on did not have an "add to cart" option to I sent them an email!

Cycling induced anoesis
    Gotcha. The websites I did find the Jamis's on did not have an "add to cart" option to I sent them an email!
    Internet researching (to a point) has its place, but bottom line is, at some point you have to get out, get sized/ fitted to bikes that suite your intended use, anatomy and budget, and do some test rides.

Jamis, Felt, Specialized, Giant, Trek, C'dale, Bianchi, Raleigh (the list goes on and on) are all fine, as long as they meet the above criteria. To find the 'right' one takes some hands on time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I agree. I am busy with work tomorrow. When I get time Thursday I'm going to go get measured at a local bike shop and go from there. Thanks fellas.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Last Fall I was looking to add a road bike to my stable. I have been a mtn biker for years. Not knowing if I really was going to like the road thing I did not want to drop big money. So I picked up a used Trek 5200 for $500. My budget was only $400, but the Trek was too good of a deal to pass up. I had been looking at craigslist and found a few things, but dealing with flaky sellers is a pain. Turns out I found this bike on mtbr.com when I asked my local forum for "used bike shops". Those shops were a bust, but it did turn up a local mtn biker selling a used road bike. A day or so later the deal was done I have been quite happy.

The one key to a road bike is fit. If the bike does not fit you how good of deal it is work make any difference. Best place to start is with a seller who is about the same height as you. That does not mean the bike will fit, but it should get you close. Then you need to see if you like the feel/fit before you buy.
    Joe
    Road Bike - Trek 5200 | MTB - 2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Best place to start is with a seller who is about the same height as you. That does not mean the bike will fit, but it should get you close.
    Maybe, maybe not. Some people sell bikes because they don't fit, so that criteria may mislead. Also, proportions matter more than height alone.

My SO is shorter than I am, but when she drives my car, the seat goes back and the rear view mirror goes down. Why? long legs/ short torso.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Went to a local bike shop called Bikes Plus. Got a quick fitment on a Giant Defy 4. He placed me on a medium sized frame which I think for Giant is about 44.5CM.

Now it's time to search for a bike!

Cycling induced anoesis
    Went to a local bike shop called Bikes Plus. Got a quick fitment on a Giant Defy 4. He placed me on a medium sized frame which I think for Giant is about 44.5CM.

Do yourself a favor and forget CM's. They'll do little more than confuse and mislead you. Rather, focus on the geo numbers, which are far more important. Print the Defy's geo chart and take it with you when you shop around for a bike.

Also, at this point, rather than be married to the numbers, I'd consider them a reference or starting point. This will help you weed out the bikes that won't meet your sizing requirements. And as you shop, LBS's will want to size you to their bikes prior to test rides. At least the good ones will.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012

That really isn't going to help you as many of the frames have a different fit based on the geometry. You may be able to ride it but the idea is to be comfortable and most upper end frames aren't sized in small/medium/large. Seriously, if this is your first bike, set a budget and go to a reputable bike shop. I would hate to see you toss your money away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast