RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

New Road Cyclist Gear and Accessories

Hello Everyone,

I'm quite new to the whole road cycling arena, and none of my friends do road cycling.

I just wanted to ask if people typically carry a heavy D-lock with them. I usually cycle alone, and will at times need to stop off to go relieve myself or get a drink. Given that we pay a premium just to save 2lbs off our bike that it would seem contradictory to carry around a heavy D-lock. I've heard the cable locks are pretty much useless. I'm just wondering what everyone else does. And does everyone also carry an entire arsenal of emergency equipment... pumps, tubes, tools, flat repair, first aid....etc.

And before anyone tells me... I already know that shaving 10lbs off my belly would do wonders instead of thinking about equipment weight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I don't carry a lock, but don't stop where my bike is really out of reach either and that includes a few century rides. I carry snacks and water bottles to cover the ride, and find a place to relieve myself off the road somewhere without any problems.
    Trek Domane 5.2
    Cannondale Synapse 3 Ultegra Disc
    Fuji Cross Comp
    Trek Dual Sport 8.4 (sold)
    1969 Camaro Pace car - numbers matching frame off resto
    1969 Camaro Coupe

Cycling induced anoesis
    I never leave my bike, so don't carry a lock - and know next to nothing about them, so will leave that to another member.

I don't consider carrying a flat repair kit (and essentials) "an arsenal", nor do I think of them as emergency items. IME flats are pretty much inevitable, so it's best to be prepared and practice the mechanics of the repair (removing/ reinstalling tires/ tubes) before you have to.

If you want to travel light (I do), get a mini-wedge saddle bag, tube, patch kit, tire levers and CO2/ cartridges, then learn (at home) how to use it. Two tubes, a multi-tool (and just about anything else) will necessitate a larger bag.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    No lock needed as I do not leave my bike unattended. The list of items carried is tube, tire boot, tire lever, co2 for short rides (15miles and under) for longer rides I begin to add multiple tubes, co2, multi- tool, chain pin /quick link. I try to be more self reliant the farther from home I go. Always some cash as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I hardly ride alone so I don't carry a lock at all, as someone is able to keep an eye on my bike. I do have an under-seat bag which I stock with spare tube, CO2 pump/cartridge, tire lever, multi-tool, quick-link, and simple first aid kit (bandages, ibuprofen, alcohol wipes - I figure anything requiring more than that you'll probably be attended to by the EMT), also a few extra bucks and ID. I also ended up getting a mini frame pump which serves as a backup as I've seen some of my friends mess up trying to use their co2 pump. We all carry the same things in our bags so if someone ends up with multiple flats someone will volunteer their tube or co2....but I guess if you ride solo often you may decide to double up on certain things. We do try to be 'as light as possible' but if you ride solo, the cost of not carrying the extra say 200g of tube/etc could mean walking/carrying the entire 16-18lb bike back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    OP, I carry pretty much everything you listed in that one line. I carry a pump, a flat repair kit, a spare tube, a multi-tool, and I carry first aid stuff as well. Having said all that, do not put anything in your pack that you do not know how to use. I also carry small zip-ties, my phone, 20-30 dollars and my health card (Canadian).

For first aid I carry quick-clot, gauze, medical tape, polysporin with lidocaine, alcohol pads, and a CPR mask/gloves set. Again, don't throw on anything you don't know how to use.
    ----------------------------------------

I try to never forget where I started.

Hold on I'm watching this
    Earphones to listen to your music and helmet for when you crash. No lock.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jfd986 View Post
    Again, don't throw on anything you don't know how to use.
    I only partially agree. Even though they may not know howto use it, if they have a problem and have the tools often times someone else can fix it. But you don't need to go crazy I agree.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I sometimes carry a lock. I have a small cable lock I keep attached to my commuter bike. They are not ideal and I would not leave it long with it. But if you run in to grab your lunch it's better than nothing. Someone who wants to steal your bike can get through any lock. This at least keeps the random person from just walking off. Also keep it in public view. Thieves don't usually want to bust out the bolt cutters in the middle of a visible sidewalk.

As for ehat I carry, I would rather be prepared. I carry 2 CO2 and a mini pump as well as a tube plus patches. I have burned through 2 and the tire re-flatted. Needed the patch and pumps. Multi tool, some cash, tire levers, bandaids and alcohol wipes, superglue and an energy gel in case I run out and start bonking. I keep the tube in an old sock as a tire boot to keep things in the bag from rubbing a hole. Also keep part of an old tube in case I need to fill a tire hole. All this fits in a small bag (except the pump which is on the frame) if you pack smart.
    Specialized Allez Comp Apex- '12 56cm
    Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro- '12 56cm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Jersey pockets work well for some things too - I normally carry a tube in a box, and my patch kit in the box in my back jersey pockets.
    Trek Domane 5.2
    Cannondale Synapse 3 Ultegra Disc
    Fuji Cross Comp
    Trek Dual Sport 8.4 (sold)
    1969 Camaro Pace car - numbers matching frame off resto
    1969 Camaro Coupe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the advice. I wasn't quite sure of the road biking culture and what people typically did. A long time ago when I rode on my mountain bike, I'd just carry everything. Of course that was on a cheap mountain bike as well where I never thought much about the weight.

Road biking seems much more additive than mountain biking IMHO. Just need to get back into shape and gain some muscles and endurance.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
    And does everyone also carry an entire arsenal of emergency equipment... pumps, tubes, tools, flat repair
    It's a fact, if you ride often/far enough you will eventually get a flat.
    So ask yourself... how long are your rides and how far are you willing to walk?

If your rides are only 5mi around town, maybe walking isn't a big deal to you. If your rides are 50+mi out in the country... well that's a long walk.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    It's a fact, if you ride often/far enough you will eventually get a flat.
    So ask yourself... how long are your rides and how far are you willing to walk?

If your rides are only 5mi around town, maybe walking isn't a big deal to you. If your rides are 50+mi out in the country... well that's a long walk.
    Even a 1 mile walk in most road shoes is quite uncomfortable. Also not great for the shoes. If you ride in MTB shoes that are walkable then it could be ride dependent I guess. I have taken my shoes off and walked/jogged barefoot for a little over a mile before. But I don't ride without a spare tube/pump/patch kit.
    Specialized Allez Comp Apex- '12 56cm
    Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro- '12 56cm