RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Newbie fit question/Mongoose Cipressa?

I'm a long time mountain biker looking to do some road riding for cheap- already spent too much money on the mountain bikes!

Nashbar.com has a Mongoose Cipressa that looks nice enought and fits the buget @$600.

Anybody have other suggestions? I have no problem buying used. Feel free to send me your offers for used road bikes for sale in the Atlanta GA area!

Now the fit question:

I'm 5'7" and 1/2. I ride an 09 Cannondale Rush 3 Medium and find it very comfortable with factory stem (it's pretty short).

The Mongoose Cipressa has a top tube of 53.9cm in small, 56 in Medium. Seat tube is 47.5 small, 50 medium. Would either of these be a good fit?

Would love to go to my LBS but cost is an issue. Their bikes start at $1k.

Thanks!

Poseur
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhandthebiker
    Would love to go to my LBS but cost is an issue. Their bikes start at $1k.
    There is only one bike shop in the Atlanta area?

You don't say what kind of road riding you want to do. Commuting, touring, racing? That makes a difference. I know there's at least one Performance shop in the Atlanta area. I would suggest you go there and see what they have. Performance sells GT bikes and they have quite a few that less than $1,000 and currently on sale according to the Performance website.
    Last edited by GerryR; 01-11-2009 at 06:33 PM.
    I like cats, I just can't finish a whole one by myself.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Just because you visit a LBS doesn't mean you have to spend $1K there.

Pick a LBS, wander around, maybe sit on a couple of road bikes - talk with an employee about a possible fitting. You might be able to work a deal. And some shops carry used bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check out Performance. Their website has a GT comparably priced to the Mongoose Cipressa I'm interestred in.

I don't intend to race, commute, or do 100+ mile rides. I want to explore the less populated roads around Cobb county GA. I know I want a double drivetrain and will use clipless.

Still looking for fit advice for the Mongoose. Any thougts on this bike? Small or medium? Does anybody have experience with this bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Cycling induced anoesis
    I looked quickly at the specs of both bikes, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I'd go with the Mongoose. The GT has Sora shifters (thumb shifter used to shift to a smaller cog) which will get the job done, but the Mongoose upgrades to Tiagra (works like 105/ Ultegra...)

Because you're a noob (to road riding) and I think fit is so important, I hedge on giving sizing advice, but will say that the geo of the Mongoose has a longish TT, so for your height (and seeing as you're gonna be new to the road riding position) I think the small is the best bet. If on the off chance you feel a little cramped (in reach), you can always get a longer stem.

All that said, I think in the long run a fitting a a LBS is a good investment. After that's done, you'll have a much better idea on your fit requirements.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Thank you very much! Exactly the advice I was looking for!

Cycling induced anoesis
    Thank you very much! Exactly the advice I was looking for!
    I just hope it's the right advice.
    If you go for it, don't forget to use the coupon code for the 15% off (both Performance and Nashbar are offering it).
    Good luck!
    Last edited by PJ352; 01-12-2009 at 08:42 AM.