Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old bike

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    I'd get a fit program to confirm this, but if you want to sit up, the larger bike will get the handlebars up higher. That will put more body weight on the back wheel, and get it off the front wheel. You'll be able to handle the slightly more stretch without pain in the shoulders and hands, than if the bars are lower, as they would be on a smaller frame, unless you get one of those crazy tilted up stems. The lower the bars, the more weight is rotated onto the front wheel.
    I'll respectfully disagree with almost all of this.

Raising (or lowering) bars raises/ lowers the center of gravity, but doesn't change f/r weight distribution. Moving the rider or saddle fore/ aft yes, but not *just* changing saddle to bar drop.

I do agree that a riders anatomy, flexibility and riding style should be considered when adjusting saddle to bar drop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    I'll respectfully disagree with almost all of this.

Raising (or lowering) bars raises/ lowers the center of gravity, but doesn't change f/r weight distribution. Moving the rider or saddle fore/ aft yes, but not *just* changing saddle to bar drop.

I do agree that a riders anatomy, flexibility and riding style should be considered when adjusting saddle to bar drop.
    Just checked OP's height, and have to agree, 58cm would fit better than 60cm. The 58 also has less reach to get used to from riding the MTB.

I've witnessed many a rider who got fitted by the LBS gurus on too small a frame, hardly ever on too big a frame, except with women who have shorter upper bodies and require less reach on the same size bike a guy of the same height would fit.

Wrench Science has a fit program that does a couple of different fits, depending on the riding that will follow. They recommend "the Eddy fit" for touring and endurance, the fit Eddy Merckx rode. The stem is about 2 inches shorter than the saddle. This is a slightly higher stack height compared to the 3-4 inch drops popular with most racers today, but not all of them.

Set the saddle at the right height for the legs and see how dropped the stem is. As said, stem lengths are proportional to frame sizes. This maintains good fore-aft balance, crucial to a well handling bike.

And you're right, reach is independent of bar drop. Except try riding in the drops for a half hour, and you'll feel it on your neck and arms, due to what I've always believed was more weight that has to be supported by the lower back and arms. Sitting at a 45 degree angle distributes the weight nicely along the back and arms. Maybe its the head slightly rotated back. The head weighs a lot! It'll affect balance leaning forward or sitting up.

Agree, the 58cm frame is the safest choice for a 6 ft. guy. It could be fine tuned by pushing the saddle back and a longer stem, or vice versa, and still be within the ballpark.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12