RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016

Pain Behind the Knee.

I found a saddle that suited me in a more comfortable manner than the OE one my bike came with. I adjusted the height and had at it. Over about 150 miles in a week and developed some decent pain in my right leg, behind the knee at about the top of the calf. Originally I thought it was soreness and expected as I adjusted to riding longer and stronger.

I searched a good number of threads about this. I did not feel it was the height of my seat but then figured maybe 1 leg was a little shorter than the other and it was getting aggravated and overextended. I barely moved the height because the stoke feels great; but I read the seat too far back can cause this issue. Moved the seat forward and bingo. Two 28 mile rides over last two mornings and zero pain or irritation.

This was my first BAMN!! In your face experience with just how a subtle change can make a big difference on a road bike. Kinda scary that a few centimeter change here or there can mean a happy ride or a painful experience.
    Last edited by biscut; 06-08-2017 at 05:33 AM. Reason: right leg not left leg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biscut View Post
    I found a saddle that suited me in a more comfortable manner than the OE one my bike came with. I adjusted the height and had at it. Over about 150 miles in a week and developed some decent pain in my right leg, behind the knee at about the top of the calf. Originally I thought it was soreness and expected as I adjusted to riding longer and stronger.

I searched a good number of threads about this. I did not feel it was the height of my seat but then figured maybe 1 leg was a little shorter than the other and it was getting aggravated and overextended. I barely moved the height because the stoke feels great; but I read the seat too far back can cause this issue. Moved the seat forward and bingo. Two 28 mile rides over last two mornings and zero pain or irritation.

This was my first BAMN!! In your face experience with just how a subtle change can make a big difference on a road bike. Kinda scary that a few centimeter change here or there can mean a happy ride or a painful experience.
    The new saddle may have you sitting further back than the saddle that it replaced, so you may have had your height adjusted right, you needed to set the saddle forward to get your leg extension the same as you had with the old saddle.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    A few CM change... HELLO. I make a big change & use MM's!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by biscut View Post
    Kinda scary that a few centimeter change here or there can mean a happy ride or a painful experience.
    I really hope you meant "a few mm" rather than a few cm. 2.54 cm per inch, don't you know.

At any rate, Bernard Hinault attributes his need for knee surgery to having his saddle height off by 3 mm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    I did mean mm not cm. Hey, km, mile so close right? Just kidding.

The new saddle did have me further back. Changed the angle of my stroke.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    I really hope you meant "a few mm" rather than a few cm. 2.54 cm per inch, don't you know.

At any rate, Bernard Hinault attributes his need for knee surgery to having his saddle height off by 3 mm.
    Every once in a while I'll hop on my bike without bike shorts. The difference there can't be much or any more than 3mm, I think, compared to wearing a chamois like the other 99.9% but I can definitely feel a big difference. It feels like my seatpost is down like an inch and I 'feel' a different knee angle at the bottom for sure.

No point here other than to say I definitely believe Hinault could be right.

Frog Whisperer
    I find that hyper extending the knee antagonizes the tendon behind the knee, ymmv.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."