RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Pearl Izumi Gavia Jacket and Gloves

Has anyone tried the new Pearl Izumi Gavia gloves and jacket? They are the newest winter items from PI (wind and waterproof). I just received these two items today and will let you know what I think after my Thanksgiving morning ride.

Dennis
    "If you can keep your head when all around are losing theirs...then you obviously haven't realized the severity of the situation"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    I love them - the tights also!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Pearl Izumi Gavia Gloves

I did my first ride yesterday with the PI Gavia gloves. Temp was around 35 degrees when I left the house. I made sure my hands were warm when I put on the gloves. I had UnderArmour glove liners underneath as well. My hands were cold! Almost to the point of turning around and terminating the ride. I took off the UnderArmour liners and put on a pair of Trek glove liners. My hands were still cold. These Gavia gloves look great, but did not work very well for me with temps in the thirties. I am not so sure of their AmFib windproof ability. It seems that when I put on the Trek liners, my hands felt better, but got cold again when I started moving.

The Gavia jacket was great!

Dennis
    "If you can keep your head when all around are losing theirs...then you obviously haven't realized the severity of the situation"

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    IME, cycling specific gloves are not warm enough for me. The only exception might be the "lobster claw" style gloves. I've never tried those. My suggestion is to get thee to your local ski/outdoor/hunting store, try some gloves on and buy'em there. Last year I bought some Grandoe gloves from www.sierratradingpost.com. They have primaloft lining & are water & wind proof. Mine came with 2 extra sets or removable liners. For me they're good until around 20* F. Colder than that & I wear a pair of Gortex mittens that I've had for a lot of years. There's nothing, absolutely nothing warmer than mittens.
    Don't believe everything you think.

RoadBikeReview's Member
    Sep 2005
    Try lobster claw gloves. They'll keep you very warm. I think the Gavias are not really designed for anything below 40 degrees - most single-fingered gloves seem to become somewhat non-functional at low temperatures.
    I have great luck with the PI AmFib lobster gloves, in high winds and low temperatures (23F, 30mph winds, and my hands felt great)
    -estone2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    I've been thinking of trying the PI "Gavia Plus" bibs (the only place I've seen them for sale is direct from the PI website). Supposedly these use a new "Amphib Plus" material that's supposed to be more stretchy than Amphib. Hopefully they will be less restrictive than the amphib tights I've tried on.

As for jackets so far I've been getting by with regular lightweight cycling jackets (e.g. PI Zephyrr) with wind-resistant fleece layers underneath. This is usually good for me down to 30F or so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have been trying out one of the jackets the last couple of weeks. It is definitely more of a cool weather jacket than not. I have PI Barrier gear that is more substantial against cold conditions. What I like about it though is that it is really light weight by comparison, and breathes a lot more, especially via the material along the underside/arm portion of the sleeves. It isn't quite as good as a jacket with pit zips, but it is pretty close. The back is kind of dumpy, and not as form fitting as I would like, but it probably makes the jersey style pockets more accessible and usable. I do think that it would make a great outer layer where you could control your core temp based upon how much you put underneath it. Can't speak about how it would hold up in the wet. I can't see it being anything that I would describe as Amhib Plus though.

I have not tried the gloves but if the material is similar in function and with similar weight, I could definitely see them as being good down to about 40 as well. My PI Amphib finger gloves are overkill until about there.

I have a pair of Amphib tights that work great, but they are a bit bulky and inflexible. If the Gavia tights are a little more forgiving, that would be an improvement, but if the fabric breathes as well they might not be as warm.

Hope this helps. ;)
    The legs feed the wolf.