Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    TLN
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by noOriginalNames View Post
    Not scared off, just been really busy the last few days. So the consensus is, there is no consensus...

Seriously I appreciate the input. I'm thinking I'm going to start with the shoes and then purchase pedals to match. I'm out of town for the weekend but next week I will have to stop by some local shops and see what they have.

Thanks for the feedback!
    For my 1st bike I went with A324 Pedals. One side mountain, other side - MTB Cleat. Shoe-wise went with Empire VR90 and changed back to Giro Republic. I could notiec that Empire (those are MTB with carbon sole) pretty werid to walk in. I've also noticed that republic are softer and translate less energy. But with republic I'm able to walk some distance (i.e. miles).
    For my current bike I went with road bike pedals and cleats. I won't be using it for commute and will be on the bike most of the time. Now waiting for Sworks 6 shoes and pedals, while riding it with republics.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Some thoughts interspersed with my experiences/ opinions...

- MTB versus road shoes comes down to the choices already mentioned. My SO has Speedplays and likes them, but as far as maintenance, they do require periodic regreasing and the pedal - cleat interface is a bit sensitive to grit, needing cleaning and reapplication of (my choice) Teflon dry lube. I use Shimano Ultegras - zero maintenance after 10 years and still going strong. I have no experience with LOOK's so can't comment.

- Float is generally good, It allows for some latitude in cleat positioning, but still, have your cleats set up by a reputable shop. It matters.

- 'Some' float is good. More isn't necessarily better.

- Like many other cycling related products, this is a highly personal choice. Specialized shoes don't suck. Far from it. But don't take my word for it. Try a bunch of brands, then decide. Be sure to bring cycling specific socks along.

- Maybe *most* importantly, as someone else suggested, don't cheap out on shoes. The longer your rides, the more important a well constructed, well designed shoe will be. And again, proper cleat set up matters.
    Last edited by PJ352; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:00 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Figured I would come back and update you guys. Had a hell of a time finding shoes, tried on every pair in the city it seemed like (apparently I have a very oddly shaped/sized foot) but ended up with a pair of Giro Trans E70 shoes and 105 pedals. Installed them today and went for a ride, no spills after practicing in the field across the street from me. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Figured I would come back and update you guys. Had a hell of a time finding shoes, tried on every pair in the city it seemed like (apparently I have a very oddly shaped/sized foot) but ended up with a pair of Giro Trans E70 shoes and 105 pedals. Installed them today and went for a ride, no spills after practicing in the field across the street from me. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!!
    Welcome to the world of clipless. You will more than likely to grow to really enjoy them. Those pedals you got are great starter pedals and are the same ones I started with on my road bike. I road them for almost 2 years before upgrading. I still say they are great pedals and recommend them people starting out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Sounds like you are on your way. I had the Giro Trans several years back. Liked them so much I replaced them with the Giro Factor. It is worth the investment in time to find shoes that fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    If this is your first road bike, I would wait until you get used to your bike first. Ride it as-is for about 6 months.

If you have never used clipless pedals, I would try mountain bike pedals and shoes first. They are much easier to clip in and out of, and as others have said, mountain bike shoes are easier to walk in as the cleat is recessed. They also have more float which is easier on your knees since it doesn't lock your feet in an exact position.

Inexpensive pedals do the job just fine, but don't go cheap on shoes. My $25 Shimano PD-M520's have given me thousands of miles and have never let me down. More $$ generally gets you lighter weight and not much more.
    A second thumbs up for the Shimano M520 pedals. I've got the better part of 9 years on mine, more than 20 thousand miles on them. No problems. Nice cleat float. Dual sided. Tough as nails.

I wear Specialized shoes mountain bike shoes with SPD cleats..wait till they run on sale and buy last years model, and you can get them for about $85 price range. I like the all black color. I prefer the MTB shoes, because I can walk in them.

I change out the shoe cleats about every four years.

Wait for a sale or two, and you can get a decent set of pedals and shoes for about $120, but certainly less than $150. Shoes and pedals will make you smoother, faster, and give you better feel on the bike. No worries about a foot slipping off.

BUT..... If you've never tried them, make a very conscience effort to unclip at stops. I rode with toe clips and straps for many years. My brain had no problem transitioning to .clipless. I've seen folks come to a stop sign and fail to unclip...and fall over. You feel bad for them, but you also have to snicker. .
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

My radio control aircraft addiction is fed by: theprofilebrotherhood.com

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    within a month, you'll wonder how you ever road your bike without them. Clipless pedals/shoes are right up there with padded lycra shorts as items that are cycling necessities. .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    BUT..... If you've never tried them, make a very conscience effort to unclip at stops.
    Actually, you need to practice until it becomes muscle memory. Otherwise, any emergency stop, or distraction, such as a strange noise that needs immediate attention coming from the bike, means you're going down.

I found riding in a neighborhood with a lot of stop signs and actually stopping at each one helpful.
    It's Mueller Time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12