Thread: Quality Shorts?

RoadBikeReview Member

Quality Shorts?

I hear quality shorts would help the saddle soreness. Looking at Nashbar (20% off right now). or some other site I see all these names that mean little to me. What are some good brands I can't tell what's the good stuff?

Also if I wear a 38 Waste in Jeans does that translate to xxl or xxxl. I have seen different size charts but that may be brand specific. Thanks

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Depending on the type of soreness, they can greatly help. There are many good brands, however what fits one person well doesn't necessarily fit another well at all. Also a size in one brand may fit good, but the same size in another brand may not fit.

I strongly suggest not buying your first pair of shorts online. Go to a store and try them on if at all possible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Just about every brand makes both high and low end so just picking a brand isn't really the way to go.

Yes, different brands have different sizeing charts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Just about every brand makes both high and low end so just picking a brand isn't really the way to go.

Yes, different brands have different sizeing charts.
    Yup...in a Pearl Izumi, I'm a M...in castelli, I'm a L when it comes to shorts/bibs (6' tall. 170lbs)

...I'll just add that a comfortable kit makes any ride better...

RoadBikeReview Member
    On another note, I would get bibs, not shorts. I'm guessing with a 38 inch waste, you might have a little bit of a belly. The ties around the waste might irritate your belly during rides. Just an idea. Whatever fits into your budget though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    And even within brands, there are different fits based on the particular line. In PI I believe the Attack series has a slightly more relaxed fit than the Elite and P.R.O. lines.

Would recommend getting a pair at the LBS first, hopefully they have a couple of brands and styles you can try. Bibs and shorts are one place where even as cheap as I am, I suggest spending a bit more than you "want" to. But what works for me (Louis Garneau Equipe bibs are my favorite so far) may not work for your body dimensions and seat.

Once you have a couple of good pairs of bike shorts/bibs, you'll wonder why you ever bothered wear anything different when riding.