RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012

Question: 11 speed crank with 10 speed drive train

If I were to get a 11 speed Shimano 105 crank set, would it work with my existing 10 speed drive train (Dura Ace 7900)?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    If I were to get a 11 speed Shimano 105 crank set, would it work with my existing 10 speed drive train (Dura Ace 7900)?
    11 speed Shimano RS500 with 10 speed Ultegra 6600 10 speed Rd and Ultegra 6500 9 speed fd..
    Works flawlessly (configuration is 10 speed cassette)

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    It even works the other way - 10-speed crank with 11-speed drive train.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Awesome!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Kinda redundant question since it's a matter of the wideth of the chain not the wideth of chainwheels

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Lives2Ride View Post
    Kinda redundant question since it's a matter of the wideth of the chain not the wideth of chainwheels
    Not redundant.

The width between chainrings matters as well. As speeds have increased, chains have narrowed, as has distance between rings.

6-speed, 7-speed, 8-speed, 9-speed, 10-speed, 11-speed?

There's no problem with the OP's scenario....

RoadBikeReview Member
    The spacing between the cogs has decreased, but the spacing between the chainrings hasn't decreased from 10-speed to 11-speed.

And to split hairs a bit more, the O.D. of the chains has been reducing, but the I.D. is still 3/32" - making chains "reverse compatible", e.g. an 11-speed chain will work on a 10-speed cassette and chainring, but not the other way around.
    Last edited by OldZaskar; 04-27-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    The spacing between the cogs has decreased, but the spacing between the chainrings hasn't decreased from 10-speed to 11-speed.

And to split hairs a bit more, the O.D. of the chains has been reducing, but the I.D. is still 3/32" - making chains "reverse compatible", e.g. an 11-speed chain will work on a 10-speed cassette and chainring, but not the other way around.
    To clarify, I was speaking generally - I agree on both counts.

My point was that both chain width and chainring spacing matter, so... not redundant.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    To clarify, I was speaking generally - I agree on both counts.

My point was that both chain width and chainring spacing matter, so... not redundant.
    Yep... meant to say I agreed with you on that. Far from redundant.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not redundant.

The width between chainrings matters as well. As speeds have increased, chains have narrowed, as has distance between rings.

6-speed, 7-speed, 8-speed, 9-speed, 10-speed, 11-speed?

There's no problem with the OP's scenario....

Interesting. I always thought the teeth on the chain rings became narrower as chains got narrower. Apparently not.

And sorry to thread jack, but would a 10-speed chain work with an 7/8-speed crankset?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    - Chainrings have not gotten closer together as cog count has gone up
    - The I.D. (inside dimension) of chains has not gotten narrower
    - The O.D. (outside dimension) of chains has gotten narrower - the pins are shorter and, in later (10, 11) chains, the plates are thinner
    - You can use a "higher count" chain on a "lower count" drive train - to a point. The outside of the plates are key in shifting. Using an 11-speed chain on a 10-speed drive train will be fine, but using an 11-speed chain on an 9-speed drivetrain, shifting would suffer.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Interesting. I always thought the teeth on the chain rings became narrower as chains got narrower. Apparently not.

And sorry to thread jack, but would a 10-speed chain work with an 7/8-speed crankset?
    I think my wording in the post you reference caused some confusion, so to clarify - as OD of chains has narrowed, chainring teeth have been remachined slightly right to accommodate them.

The link I posted states "These chainrings have the teeth slightly farther to the right than the older chainrings to work a little better with the narrower chains. There is no difference whatever in the crank spiders."

No difference in spiders means no difference in spacing.

Similar to what OldZaskar posted and to answer your question, I'd go back one gen on chains (9 spd for 7-8 spd drivetrains/ 10 spd for 9...), so shifting would probably suffer in your scenario. Plus, from a durability/ cost standpoint, I see no payback.

Here's more info on the history of chains:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycl...ns/Chain_sizes
    Last edited by PJ352; 05-01-2017 at 11:07 AM. Reason: typo....

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think my wording in the post you reference caused some confusion, so to clarify - as OD of chains has narrowed, chainring teeth have been remachined slightly right too accommodate them.

The link I posted states "These chainrings have the teeth slightly farther to the right than the older chainrings to work a little better with the narrower chains. There is no difference whatever in the crank spiders."

No difference in spiders means no difference in spacing.

Similar to what OldZaskar posted and to answer your question, I'd go back one gen on chains (9 spd for 7-8 spd drivetrains/ 10 spd for 9...), so shifting would probably suffer in your scenario. Plus, from a durability/ cost standpoint, I see no payback.

Here's more info on the history of chains:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycl...ns/Chain_sizes

OK, thanks PJ352. The reason I am looking into this is that I'm looking for a square taper crankset with touring type gearing to work with a 10-speed drivetrain. The only thing I've come up with is a Sugino crankset which is marketed as 7/8-speed. If front shifting is a little clunky, I can deal with that. If it will mean more frequent chain drops, that's a deal breaker.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    OK, thanks PJ352. The reason I am looking into this is that I'm looking for a square taper crankset with touring type gearing to work with a 10-speed drivetrain. The only thing I've come up with is a Sugino crankset which is marketed as 7/8-speed. If front shifting is a little clunky, I can deal with that. If it will mean more frequent chain drops, that's a deal breaker.
    Just curious why you're staying with square taper. BB's are cheap and assuming the frame has a BSA (or similar) BB shell you have lots of choices... Hollowtech ii for one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just curious why you're staying with square taper. BB's are cheap and assuming the frame has a BSA (or similar) BB shell you have lots of choices... Hollowtech ii for one.

I tried a Hollowtech II crankset and BB. I never could get it to play nice. No matter how I experimented with the adapters, shifting was horrible. Dangerous ghost shifting was almost constant.

-- Warren Buffett