RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Raleigh Supercourse as first road bike

After several years of mountain biking I have decided to give the road a try. I've looked at the Specialized Allez and the Secteur. My mountain bike is a Specialized so I've been leaning toward that brand. Prices are pretty much MSRP on them - 10% off 2009s. I have a small bike shop within a mile of my house and they carry Raleigh bikes. I was priced $1200 for an 09 Supercourse by the owner. Is this a good deal and a good bike for a beginner? This guy has been the nicest and most helpful of any shop I have visited. He invited me on all the rides they make from the shop and seems genuinely concerned about my needs and not like a cattle herder like the other shops. Would this be my best bet because of the service I would be getting? Thanks!

Cycling induced anoesis
    I'll tell you upfront that I don't know alot about Raleighs, so take my input with a grain of salt, as they say.

I did a quick comparison in geo (very close) and specs between the Supercourse and the Allez Sport. In doing so, it becomes evident that choosing between the two really is a choice in frame materials. The Raleigh priced at $1,200, being a full CF frameset is spec'd at a noticably lower level than the Allez with alu frame and CF fork. From what you've offered, I'm guessing that the Allez would be discounted for about $1,170.

That given and the fact that fit trumps all else, I'd say visit the shops, get sized and fitted and go for some rides. I think after you do that the decision won't be that difficult, because the bikes personality will come through on your rides, but I'd pay particular attention to how you feel on the bikes.

As far as the importance of service at LBS's is concerned. Sure, an attentive staff/ owner is a definite plus, but being sized/ fitted and ending up with the right bike for you IMO is most important - and wherever that occurs is the place that gets the business. You can always support other shops in other ways after the purchase. You know, for those imminent upgrades and 'stuff'.

EDIT: A couple of additional suggestions...
    Geo similar to the bikes you mentioned:
    http://www.feltracing.com/09-catalog...es/09-z80.aspx

Felt's slightly relaxed geo that might be to your liking:
    http://www.feltracing.com/09-catalog...es/09-z80.aspx
    Last edited by PJ352; 08-06-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    take note as I love Raleighs, and am biased. But they are definitely a lot of bike for the money though they have no "PRO" basis like they did in their yesteryears.

The Supercourse, even the alu frame, is a well designed frame that you can grow into. Especially if you're not sure whether or not you really want to get serious in the sport. But if you do get serious, spending money to upgrade that frame is money well spent. I believe the 2006 to 2007 Supercourse frames are exactly the same as their Team/Prestige models just with a different name and stock components.

But be aware, Raleighs, even very high end ones (eg: the team frame 2008/2009 frameset in yellow) don't resell for very much. So if you're thinking about buying just to "try it out", you might be in for a real loss here. If you are serious, or are sure to stay in it, Raleigh are some of the best buys around, and by this I mean you own a brand name bike as opposed to you know, a noname bike... not that any of us care anyways...
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike