RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017

rear derailleur adjustment

On shimano deore, when adjusting the index (after high and low limits are set) i encountered this problem: when inner wire is tight enough to shift from 9 to 8, chain rubs against 1 when on 2; when i loosen iw on 2, so that it doesnt rub 1, the iw tension is not enough to shift 9-8 and it falls off 8 to 9; so i managed to find a shaky compromise (by turning the barrel by 1/4 turns) but it can easily get out of balance again. I also noticed the same issue on altus 7 speed derailleur.

banned
    Sep 2016
    OK, check to make certain your cable is correctly mounted to the derailleur. Where the cable comes out from under the bolt makes a small but important difference. There is a small indentation which the cable needs to follow.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    You're posting in the wrong section, this should be in 'components/wrenching'. It doesn't matter that you're a beginner, it matters that you're asking questions about how to adjust something.

And it sounds like your derailleur hanger isn't properly aligned rather than your cable tension isn't correct.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

banned
    Sep 2016
    ...Also, just a worn derailleur could be the issue. I've noticed that a lot of lower-line derailleurs just don't work as well as they should.

FWIW, it's rare to have a bike where indexing does not require frequent adjustment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    FWIW, it's rare to have a bike where indexing does not require frequent adjustment.
    Define frequent? I do mine once a year as part of my annual overhaul. It's set for the season in most cases.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Obviously NTTL is not familiar with Campagnolo systems. I built up a Chorus bike for a friend about 3-4 years ago and last time I checked it was shifting fine. I've never routinely needed to make adjustments on any of my Campy bikes either.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Cycling induced anoesis
    Seems to me you're trying to dial out chain rub at the front by adjusting your RD. If I'm following you correctly, your methods won't yield the desired result.

Adjust the RD for proper operation, *then* adjust/ fine tune at the FD to minimize chain rub.

Of course, this assumes your RD hanger and/ or frame aren't out of alignment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    and stop cross chaining, it is annoying!
    BANNED

banned
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Obviously NTTL is not familiar with Campagnolo systems. I built up a Chorus bike for a friend about 3-4 years ago and last time I checked it was shifting fine. I've never routinely needed to make adjustments on any of my Campy bikes either.
    Well, then, let me ask you; do none of your bikes EVER "chatter" when in the largest and smallest cogs? Do you NEVER have to overshift just a bit to get it int the next gear? Do you NEVER have an accidental double upshift?

If you can say yes to all 3, then your components system must be superior to every index system I've owned in the last 30 years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    And it sounds like your derailleur hanger isn't properly aligned rather than your cable tension isn't correct.
    What does it mean? Derailleur is fixed to the frame, i cant move it; it's absolutely new; the problem still persists. Could it have anything to do with limits? (usually when adjusting limits i let a small margin of 2-3 quarter turns) I just checked that when i tighten iw so it shifts confidently 9-8, chain hesitates to shift 2-3, it just rattles on 2 and then jumps suddenly on 3.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Well, then, let me ask you; do none of your bikes EVER "chatter" when in the largest and smallest cogs? Do you NEVER have to overshift just a bit to get it int the next gear? Do you NEVER have an accidental double upshift?

If you can say yes to all 3, then your components system must be superior to every index system I've owned in the last 30 years.
    The use of EVER and NEVER is not relevant. Those things can happen for all kinds of reasons but don't mean that your drive train needs adjustment. You specifically said " t's rare to have a bike where indexing does not require frequent adjustment" and we're just pointing out that this is simply not true.

You should back off a little and think about the claims you make. Your personal experience should be put in a greater context of the experience of lots of other people. Otherwise you sound like those who just can't understand why Conti GP 4000s tires are so popular because they had one bad experience with them.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Absolutely not true. I've got 7 bikes in my household (road & MTB) with various derailleur brands and models. I can't remember the last time I've had to adjust indexing on any of them. Probably 2 years and 15,000 cumulative miles.

Well, then, let me ask you; do none of your bikes EVER "chatter" when in the largest and smallest cogs?
    Never

Do you NEVER have to overshift just a bit to get it int the next gear?
    Never

Do you NEVER have an accidental double upshift?
    Never
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    No time rides eroica. Recall the recent double half skip (or whatever it was called 30 years ago) shifting thread. Not sure his experience over the last 30 years includes components made in this century or decade.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikern View Post
    What does it mean? Derailleur is fixed to the frame, i cant move it; it's absolutely new; the problem still persists. Could it have anything to do with limits? (usually when adjusting limits i let a small margin of 2-3 quarter turns) I just checked that when i tighten iw so it shifts confidently 9-8, chain hesitates to shift 2-3, it just rattles on 2 and then jumps suddenly on 3.
    Do a google search. Derailleur hanger alignment. You'll see.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikern View Post
    Derailleur hangers get bent easier than you might think. If the bike ever fell on the drive side or someone bumped the rear derailleur, the hanger can bend. Trust me, I've been there.

Stand your bike up and look at your rear derailleur from behind. Does the derailleur pulley look inline with the chain or does it bow in slightly? Take it to a bike shop where they can possibly bend it back with a special tool. Even if it needs a new hanger, it won't cost you much.

If the derailleur is indeed bolted to the frame and there is no hanger attached, that could be dicey. Mechanic will have to take extra care to bend it back without snapping the frame.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    ...Also, just a worn derailleur could be the issue. I've noticed that a lot of lower-line derailleurs just don't work as well as they should.
    Deore is not low line and they do not wear out that easily. Tourney and Acera are what I would consider "low line". An older derailleur's spring can get a little sticky in time. A quick spritz on the spring with some WD-40 does the trick.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger