RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016

Wink Recommend A Head Covering Please

Newbie looking for some direction.

With 3 younger kids it's hard for me get my time in. I started getting up at 430am a few times a week to get a 20 mile ride in before work. I'm in New Yorkistan and it's now oppressively humid. it's been wetter than usual. Temps rising as well. I'm getting these runs in on a bike path and not wearing a helmet (yes I know, thanks).

I'm a baldie and would like a hat for the sun and to keep sweat from my eyes. Would like some recommendations. I tried a Giro cycling cap, cool as shitz....but no way it fit my big, thick melon Musta been "Asian" sized.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The answer you will get here is:
    "WEAR A HELMET!"

Don't leave your kids behind with a brain-damaged, or dead, Dad.

A helmet protects you in case of OTHER bad drivers; you may be Chuck Norris of the Bike, but other riders and drivers are not. Also, there are plenty of stories of squirrels and other varmints getting in the spokes, and mayhem caused by dogs.

I have fallen two different times while going very slow. Once, I was slowly approaching an intersection where I planned to let the cars all go before I crossed the street. I slowly rode through a slimy puddle, and my front wheel slipped right out. Another time, it had rained and a muddy puddle hid a deep hole where a sidewalk section had been torn out for some reason - I thought I would slowly go through the hole, assuming it could only be a few inches deep. Well, the front wheel kept going down until I did the end-over.

People may unknowingly or purposefully throw things your way, and you may flinch big time. Etc. Etc. Plenty of anecdotes.

So, Pops, get in the Helmet Habit.

Under the helmet, to avoid the dripping sweat, you can wear almost any type of headband that is artificial fiber - nylon, polyester, orlon, etc.

Look at "Nashbar," at "Headgear."

I am on the Gulf Coast, and we know how to sweat here. I have to wear a headband or doo-rag style head covering way far down, over eyebrows, just above eyes.

But that absorbs the sweat and it won't get into your eyes.

To go cheap, you can look in the drug store where they have head bands for women - I don't know what they call them - they are usually polyester, and will work just like a headband. You might see a 3-pack for $2. You can get bold prints or solid colors if you want to be manly.

My fav has been a Pearl Izumi "Transfer Light" head band.

You can wear head bands and head coverings under your helmet.

(Nearly) all bike helmets meet the SAME toughness standard, regardless of price. Also, the foam in all of them decays / degrades at the same rate. So, you can go cheap and still be safe.

Higher cost gets you better fit, better fit adjustments, lighter weight, better ventilation, etc. But about the same protection from a $20 Walmark helmet as a $150 bike shop helmet.

Most models come sized, S, M, L, XL. Just figure out what fits well. Plenty of web pages regarding how to know if it is fitting right - it needs to be fitting right in order to offer protection!

Opinions differ, but the foam padding is supposed to be good for a year. So, replace after a while. Also, if you ever rap your head in a fall, even lightly, while wearing the helmet, they say the integrity of the helmet is gone, and you should replace it.

Road cyclists tend to avoid the brim thing on the front of the helmet, lest they be mistaken for a mountain biker. I am a Fred so I don't care - the brim gives me something to mount a light on.

Now, the only thing you need to figure out is whether to have sunglasses stems inside or outside the helmet straps! [huge controversy in the cycling world.]

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006

a real member's member
    i wear clement cycling caps. yellow holds up best through fading and sweat. and yellow is more easily seen. they're under $15 on ebay.

i used to wear the campy ones, but they fade too easily. the black ones look cool new, but are the worst after about a month when they turn a splotchy grey.
    Last edited by blackfrancois; 06-19-2017 at 02:05 PM.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I sweat like Mike Tyson at a spelling bee.

I wear a HALO sweat band, and take one or two with me, changing them out about every 45 minutes. They keep sweat outta my eyes. Cost about $14. Fit well under the helmet too.
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Thank you for the replies. The advice is sound and commentary is compelling. I'm moving in the right direction. I ditched ATV's and moved to bikes. Any mtb or road I'm in the peanut protector....Down Hill is always full face. I'm sure I'll move to the melon cover in some time. I'm from New England...Live Free or Die! Maybe a little 2 stubborn tooo. I'll work on it

I figured you guys would have good links and advice for the sweat factor. I don't know how some of you ride in that really hot nasty so much. It takes a toll on you. That heavy, dense air is hard to breathe well.

Anything you can do about rain? Once it starts coming hard my shades get too blurry to see out of and it's just as bad with bare eyes when it's forceful. RainX for shades?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I am also a heavy sweater. I wear a helmet and have tried a few different products with similar results.

Headsweats makes some nice under the helmet sweat caps. They are my go-to.

This is the Headsweats "Shorty".

It fits my 7 5/8" head comfortably. If it's too small, you can get the 'Classic', which has ties in the back instead of the elastic.
    Last edited by Migen21; 06-19-2017 at 05:52 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biscut View Post
    Thank you for the replies. The advice is sound and commentary is compelling. I'm moving in the right direction. I ditched ATV's and moved to bikes. Any mtb or road I'm in the peanut protector....Down Hill is always full face. I'm sure I'll move to the melon cover in some time. I'm from New England...Live Free or Die! Maybe a little 2 stubborn tooo. I'll work on it

I figured you guys would have good links and advice for the sweat factor. I don't know how some of you ride in that really hot nasty so much. It takes a toll on you. That heavy, dense air is hard to breathe well.

Anything you can do about rain? Once it starts coming hard my shades get too blurry to see out of and it's just as bad with bare eyes when it's forceful. RainX for shades?
    Our raindrops are so big you can pretty much just swerve and avoid them.

We don't have those fine, misty rains.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    To protect your head from heat and injuries in case of accidents, you may try looking for a helmet like a SPEG UV-Pro Cycling Head Cooling Helmet Liner.

RoadBikeReview Member
    #1 - ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET WHILE RIDING! NO EXCEPTIONS! It doesn't have to be fancy as even the cheap ones will protect you. The important thing is finding one that is comfortable. Don't buy online. Go somewhere that you can try them on. Many heads are shaped different, helmets are too.

#2 - As for a head covering, I wear a skull cap beanie:

https://tinyurl.com/y8aa6ah2

Only $14 on Amazon. I own many of these and got them mainly because my head sweats profusely.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2017
    As a fellow baldie, I go with bandanas. I buy the large 27"x27" size on Amazon... Six pack for $25. Variety of colors, and the size allows me to cover as much or as little of my head as I want. They do keep the sweat out of my eyes for the most part.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Descender
    Oct 2005
    I am a baldy as well and wear headcap on every ride ~ 200 miles / week.
    They function to both wick away sweat and give sun protection. I use the headsweats as mentioned above in another post. Must have about 15 of them. Also use synthetic caps by Giro for a little added eye protection from the sun.
    My recommendation would be to avoid cotton, (very poor wicking material), and go with modern synthetic fabrics.
    BUy a few differnt ones and try them before deciding on your best option.