Thread: Ride

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018

Ride

Okay. So, I got my first group ride coming up in a couple of weeks. Looking like around 200+ people. I have never, ever rode with that amount of people. Largest has probably been 8 people at one time and that is not very often. So................. I don't want to be "that guy" out there if possible. I'm sure I will be at times. The ride will start people off in stages, I will be towards the rear. LOL. Anyways, got some suggestions or basic "rules" I need to follow? Thanks in advance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Even though there may be 200+ riders, the group will spread out pretty quickly, especially with a staggered start. Pay attention to the ride director announcements and follow them. If you don't have a group of friends that you are riding with, you may find yourself solo. When approaching other riders, pass on the left and announce your presence. Don't hook up with a group/paceline without asking and the proper place would be In the rear (my opinion). Enjoy the ride. Take advantage of the rest stops and thank the volunteers working them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd echo what floralagator said.

How long/tough is the ride?

200 isn't all that big of a ride. (be glad it isn't a few thousand)
    Staggered start will keep the congestion down. When you line up to start, just hang towards the back and don't try to be first. There will likely be some who want to hammer it from the get go and you don't want them all weaving around you.
    The first 5 or so miles you'll be around other riders, but after that, it's likely that everyone will be strung out and you won't see that many riders at once. Maybe you'll find other riders of similar speed and strike up conversation and join them.

Avoid pacelines. Sounds like you probably don't have experience with them and wouldn't want to join with strangers.
    If you're riding solo, stay to the right and expect others to fly by without warning.
    When passing others, give them plenty of clearance, you never know who's going to suddenly weave. Announce "on your left" as you pass.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Neophyte
    Communication, try not to half-wheel, be really aware but not tense.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    The ride is 60 miles. For most on here probably not a challenge at all. Me... well most I have ever went is 65. I comfortable that I will make it. One question. What is exactly a paceline? I plan on hanging in the back. Not out to win just finish and enjoy the day.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Never coast in a paceline.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant331 View Post
    One question. What is exactly a paceline?
    a loose definition is that a paceline is a group of riders working together to maintain a high speed.

the lead rider helps block the wind for those behind him. after a certain amount of effort at the front, the lead rider drops off to the rear and the process repeats...this keeps a fresh set of legs at the front and allows the group to keep traveling at a sustained pace for long periods of time.

https://www.wordnik.com/words/paceline

not all pacelines are created equally tho...some are well-organized and efficient, others are a rolling CF with people creating gaps by coasting, not holding their line, braking and generally creating chaos.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    60 mi is nothing to scoff at. But you've done 65 before so you kinda know what you're getting into.

A paceline is a group of riders in line to increase their speed or work less by benefit of drafting. If you're not familiar with it, definitely not something to be learning with strangers.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    A paceline is a group of riders in line to increase their speed or work less by benefit of drafting. If you're not familiar with it, definitely not something to be learning with strangers.
    Okay got it. I won't be in a paceline. Like I said. Just going out to learn and enjoy the ride. Thanks.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    What are you drinking today?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    So when you're in a paceline, and the riders in front of you slow down, you just keep pedaling and crash into them?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Okay got it. I won't be in a paceline. Like I said. Just going out to learn and enjoy the ride. Thanks.
    I have been riding for quite some time and I will tell you that I would never paceline (or draft) unless I know all the riders very well. All you need is for one inept rider to eff it up and you have a pileup.

Staying near the rear is probably a good idea. I do that on group rides I'm not leading anyway as I have to listen to less chit chat that way.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    What are you drinking today?
    Today? How is today different from other days?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    So when you're in a paceline, and the riders in front of you slow down, you just keep pedaling and crash into them?
    Or hit the brakes and have the ones behind you run up your backside? Sometimes I wonder if he actually has ever ridden a bike.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Today? How is today different from other days?
    Today we drink our coffee reclin...oh wait, not Passover.

Nothing to see here, move along, nothing to see.

EEC
    ExChef

-----------------------------------------
    2014 SuperSix Evo 6
    2012 CAAD 10 5
    2011 GF/Trek Cobia
    1983 Fuji Monterrey (Project)

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein

Red Rider, American Diabetes Association's New England Classic Tour de Cure 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017. Doing it again in 2018!

Together we can help eliminate diabetes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Toulouse meant "stay with the flow, but soft pedal, not coast," right? . Often the draft is sucking rider right along and he just better be in the right gear when he has to pedal again, so he doesn't slow down finding the right cadence. Very disturbing. Talk about half wheeling!

OP, when you find others going about the same intensity, groups do split up that way, don't think there's any harm in working together. . If you can't stick with a group, drop off, recover, and catch the next group!

So don't start the ride in the back. Start in the first third. Then you'll finish the ride with others, not all by your lonesome. You're participating in an event. Be proud. Show your stuff. You can always drop off; nobody will even notice.

These planned group events are competitions. The strongest riders at the front are the most disciplined, so lesser mortals never see them. Behind them the weaker riders or those who blew it all out in the first 10 miles, are a bit less disciplined, as they're falling apart, dehydrated, didn't eat that Powerbar, or legs are locked up and their peripheral vision is shot. You gotta watch out for these guys, like others said above.

But hell, why finish last? Have respect, yeah, but you joined the ride. Enjoy it.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 05-13-2018 at 08:47 AM.

Neophyte
    Also just because it's your first ride of this kind, don't assume you are the most inexperienced (or just plain reckless) rider out there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Also just because it's your first ride of this kind, don't assume you are the most inexperienced (or just plain reckless) rider out there.
    ^This.^

This is why I never ride in events like this anymore. There are too many clueless riders out there who think their skills are better than they really are. Almost 20 years ago, I did one of these events. There were at least three pile-ups that I can recall seeing. Never again. I prefer small groups or riding alone.

Road Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    ^This.^

This is why I never ride in events like this anymore. There are too many clueless riders out there who think their skills are better than they really are. Almost 20 years ago, I did one of these events. There were at least three pile-ups that I can recall seeing. Never again. I prefer small groups or riding alone.
    Respectfully disagree.. These rides can be a lot of fun but do not take them too serious, its a ride not a race... First , Being with 200 other riders is gives you a great chance to see what the other folks are riding, gauge skill sets, make a few new friends and enjoy the day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Ride is done.. Wow. First real "group" ride and it was a experience. Like all things had its good and bad. Started out in the back. ugh. I guess it was my natural tendency, but tried to keep up the first five miles. Then realized I needed to ride my ride. I wasn't the slowest out there, definitely not the fastest. Hooked up with another rider and we seemed to "click" and just paced each other. Ran into some serious saddle comfort issues. Tried to manage that as best as I could. Last ten miles was rough. Averaged (according to Strava) around 14.3 mph. About my usual pace. Should have rested and filled up more at the rest stop. I got in a hurry to get back out there. Definitely a learning experience for me. That being said... I will do more group rides like this. Sorry for all the babbling.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Coming a day late and a dollar short. My advice: Keep a frame pump in hand in case you have to jam it in somebody's spokes for some reason.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Sounds like you had a good time and learned a few things. Thats the whole point. Good for you - I enjoyed reading through your thread - it took me back to where I was 6 years ago. I hope you continue to enjoy the sport as much as I have - it has changed my life.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Ride is done.. Wow. First real "group" ride and it was a experience. Like all things had its good and bad. Started out in the back. ugh. I guess it was my natural tendency, but tried to keep up the first five miles. Then realized I needed to ride my ride. I wasn't the slowest out there, definitely not the fastest. Hooked up with another rider and we seemed to "click" and just paced each other. Ran into some serious saddle comfort issues. Tried to manage that as best as I could. Last ten miles was rough. Averaged (according to Strava) around 14.3 mph. About my usual pace. Should have rested and filled up more at the rest stop. I got in a hurry to get back out there. Definitely a learning experience for me. That being said... I will do more group rides like this. Sorry for all the babbling.
    Group rides are a ton of fun but at least for me only a few times a year. Make sure your equipment is working well . Unlike the friend I rode with who's bike sucked the rear mech into the spokes locking up his rear wheel in the first 3/4 of a mile. All while near the front of 200ish riders with me on his rear wheel.