RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

The right bike for me

Hello all -- I'm looking to purchase my first bike, but I'm a college student, so money is definitely going to be an issue. I'm not looking to spend over $250, and I have some requirements that can hopefully be met. I'm totally inexperienced with any of the technical aspects of cycling, so forgive my poor jargon.

1) I don't want one of those thin-wheeled bikes, they make me nervous. Also, however, I don't want one that has extremely thick wheels with those stick-outy rubber pieces.

2) Tying into the last comment -- I do not plan to ride this bike on any sort of rough terrain -- the roughest I will go is a patch of grass in central park.

3) I want bike geared to women.

4) I want as comfortable a seat as possible (preferably a banana seat, but that's gonna be tough)

5) I definitely need handlebar brakes (as opposed to wheel brakes).

6) Finally, and by no means less important, I want the bike to have the ability to accelerate to a fairly high speed.

Any and all suggestions welcome! THANK YOU ALL!
    Last edited by DecafPoetess; 06-19-2005 at 10:39 PM.

Cycling Boob
    i was going to suggest a cruiser but you said you didn't want bikes with too thick wheels.

the thing is what you're looking for hasn't been in production yet. if you want to be able to accelerate quickly without that much effort, youre looking at a road bike. but all your other requirements point to cruisers/ mountain bikes.

maybe cyclocross? and just change the wheels?

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    The catagory of bike you are looking for is called Hybrid or Comfort bikes. Many companies including Trek, Giant and Specialized sell them. Here is an example of the Trek

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

a Freds Fred
    For the amount of money you can spend, your best bet is to find a nice used mountain bike and put slick tires on it for riding on the road. The speed will depend on you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    For the amount of money you can spend, your best bet is to find a nice used mountain bike and put slick tires on it for riding on the road. The speed will depend on you.
    USED?! Aw, NUTS! I don't wanna get a used bike

Gone for a bike ride ....

Comfort bike

I'd second the comfort bike. Go to a local bike shop (LBS) near you and try one. They should be willing to let you do a test ride. Prices for a new one should be slightly over $250.

Good luck.
    ---- Perfection is our goal, but excellence is tolerated. ----

Palm trees & sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by DecafPoetess
    Outside of a Walmart special, your selection of new bikes at the price point you specified will be very limited.

banned
    "DecafPoetess" -- I love this handle! *G*

Next . . . 'cause you're a college student. It's "brakes." Those things which stop you are brakes. Those things you stop for are 'breaks." The former is nominal. The latter is adjectival transitive, but structualism is graduate stuff . . . *LMAO*

If I don't tell you, your profs. are going to slap you up side the head. I missed 100% on an English exam because I wrote "their" instead of "there." They's picayune little peckerwoods . . . **G**

$250 won't get you much in a bike unless you pare down on features. Shifters run up the price. Name brand components run up the price.

You can't get a "fast" bike and a "comfortable" bike in the same bike. Fast means the bike is going to be stiff, small tires, narrow saddle and unforgiving. Comfortable is going to be a cushy saddle, fat tires, less rigid frame, lower gears -- or one gear. You can't get both, not really.

So, from one poet to another here . . . and a long time bike rider (like racing and riding since 1962) . . . English prof., Romantic, all that stuff. Stop and smell the roses. You can do that. I have 5 bikes. This is one of my most favorite. (That double superlative is poetic license!)

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2005/...serclassic.jsp

MSRP is about $250. You should be able to get your LBS to let you walk out the door for about $200.

It's gorgeous . . . all alum frame, alum cranks, wheel hubs, rims. It won't rust, and it's sooooooooooo cushy. Big fat tires which are cushy, but NOT knobby. Huge, cushy saddle. This bike will easily carry your books, put on a basket or rear carrier and it will haul your groceries.

But mostly, waxing poetical here . . . It's got one nice low gear, and is super comfortable. You sit on this baby and you don't want to go fast! *G* Great bike for campus and around town . . . so long as town is pretty flat.

A bit of oil on the chain and it's taken care of. Nothing to go out of adjustment. And it's a classic style.

Trust me . . . You'll fall in love with this bike! I have five expensive bikes. This one is my sweetie pie. Down side is that it's a target for theft on campus.

My campus bike was a USED Schwinn middleweight, cantilever frame like this cruiser. Three speed, wire basket for the books. It was re-painted flat-black primer and mud-fence ugly, but charming in it's own right. Nice bikes on campus get stolen. That's a sad fact.

You a lit major? I've been known to mentor lit majors.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by RodeRash; 06-19-2005 at 10:42 PM.

classiquesklassieker
    I think that somehow a few comments are still in order here.

1) I don't want one of those thin-wheeled bikes, they make me nervous. Also, however, I don't want one that has extremely thick wheels with those stick-outy rubber pieces.
    No problem! Plenty of options available for you.

2) Tying into the last comment -- I do not plan to ride this bike on any sort of rough terrain -- the roughest I will go is a patch of grass in central park.
    In that case, don't get knobby tires. Get slicker tires. Otherwise you're just carrying around unneeded weight and wasting your energy trying to push tires with high resistance.

3) I want bike geared to women.
    Are you sure about this one? Women frames with the angled top tube so that one can step off the bike without lifting one's foot too high is a pain to transport, and in general have low resell value. Unless you're planning on often wearing long skirts while riding, I would reconsider this requirement.

Now, many bikes today have women-specific components such as seats, handlebars, etc. I would be very skeptical about any price increase due to these special components. Not that they are not useful, but I think that somehow marketing has taken over and made a run with this concept.

4) I want as comfortable a seat as possible (preferably a banana seat, but that's gonna be tough)
    The cushiest seats may not be the most comfortable. For one, the cushiness means a lot of springiness between your bottom and the seat, which can induce chaffing in the long run. For example, I can't ride on a cushy bicycle seat for more than 20 miles at a time.

5) I definitely need handlebar brakes (as opposed to wheel brakes).
    That's a good idea.

6) Finally, and by no means less important, I want the bike to have the ability to accelerate to a fairly high speed.
    Sounds like your best bet, as others have mentioned, is what is usually called a "comfort" or "hybrid" bike. I would look for one that uses 700c wheels, since you said that you will not be riding on any rough terrains anyway.

Hoopy Frood

Scrape together another $20

and get with Rollo

- khill

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    If you don't want a used bike, then you should up your budget. If you go buy a walmart special, you will either 1) stop riding it immidiately as you find riding sucks on a bike that is of poor quality and assembled improperly, or 2) will end up spending twice your budget after the walmart bike breaks and is replaced.

If you want new the Rollo looks to be about the best deal going.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeRash
    So, from one poet to another here . . . and a long time bike rider (like racing and riding since 1962) . . . English prof., Romantic, all that stuff. Stop and smell the roses. You can do that. I have 5 bikes. This is one of my most favorite. (That double superlative is poetic license!)

It's got one nice low gear, and is super comfortable.
    Perhaps while you are mentoring in english you should watch your own. Last I checked, "It's got" is not proper english. I believe it should read "It has." But then what do I know, I suffered through public schools from Kindergarten until I received my Doctrate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    But then what do I know, I suffered through public schools from Kindergarten until I received my Doctrate.

You've been robbed! Go back immediately and get a doctorate!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Oops, typo. I should really figure out how to use the spell check on this thing.