RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

Schwinn Fastback '06 Sport

Hey everyone,

Rather new to this posting and to biking in general. I do stuff on other message boards, and I know sometimes I don't love people to hop on for one post questions (I plan to drop back in the future, but I will be honest in making no guarantees.) I'm young in college and use about 25 out of 24 hours a day ;-) If you want the story, it's below, the basic facts at the bottom.

Basically, I have a mountain bike now. It is quite good for what it is... I'm definitely not giving up. My mom got me a new bike for Christmas... but it was a surprise, and I had no input. Another mountain bike, much heavier, less durable (ie, a store bike). Now, I love her for trying... and I feel a little bad about buying a new bike right out from under her, but... you know how it is. I can use that one for trail stuff I'd imagine.

I'll be using the bike for commuting to classes and across campus daily. Overall... I'll be putting about 5 miles per day on it regularly, with long runs here and again. While I currently do not race... this semester (or if not next) I will be joining a triathlon club... more for fun with mild competition. This is my reason for wanting to go with a road bike. Visited multiple bike stores looking for a hybrid, but I ended up most liking this Scwhinn fastback.

I know that with the name being sold, I've heard not so great things about the quality? The cost is $500, down from $600. I want to put inline brakes on for mid day, quick stop and go traffic. The guy at the bike shop said it was good, and I admit, of all of the stores I went to, I like this guy the most (though I really did not like a partner of his, who tried pointing me to a $700 comfort bike). The store is performance bicycle shop, which I think is a larger chain. Is this a good buy for the uses? Also bing my first Road bike? And also considering that, living in a small dorm, it will be outside for probably 4 more years, subjected to all of mother nature. (I am only in college once... I have the rest of my life to move to an apartment... idk why everyone wants to...).

Thanks for all the help!

Marco

Cat 6 rider
    Quote Originally Posted by itsheavyonmymind
    Hey everyone,

Rather new to this posting and to biking in general. I do stuff on other message boards, and I know sometimes I don't love people to hop on for one post questions (I plan to drop back in the future, but I will be honest in making no guarantees.) I'm young in college and use about 25 out of 24 hours a day ;-) If you want the story, it's below, the basic facts at the bottom.

Basically, I have a mountain bike now. It is quite good for what it is... I'm definitely not giving up. My mom got me a new bike for Christmas... but it was a surprise, and I had no input. Another mountain bike, much heavier, less durable (ie, a store bike). Now, I love her for trying... and I feel a little bad about buying a new bike right out from under her, but... you know how it is. I can use that one for trail stuff I'd imagine.

I'll be using the bike for commuting to classes and across campus daily. Overall... I'll be putting about 5 miles per day on it regularly, with long runs here and again. While I currently do not race... this semester (or if not next) I will be joining a triathlon club... more for fun with mild competition. This is my reason for wanting to go with a road bike. Visited multiple bike stores looking for a hybrid, but I ended up most liking this Scwhinn fastback.

I know that with the name being sold, I've heard not so great things about the quality? The cost is $500, down from $600. I want to put inline brakes on for mid day, quick stop and go traffic. The guy at the bike shop said it was good, and I admit, of all of the stores I went to, I like this guy the most (though I really did not like a partner of his, who tried pointing me to a $700 comfort bike). The store is performance bicycle shop, which I think is a larger chain. Is this a good buy for the uses? Also bing my first Road bike? And also considering that, living in a small dorm, it will be outside for probably 4 more years, subjected to all of mother nature. (I am only in college once... I have the rest of my life to move to an apartment... idk why everyone wants to...).

Thanks for all the help!

Marco
    There are people here who wouldn't dream of riding a bike that cost less than $3000. I bought a Specialized Sequoia with virtually the same configuration last year. I've put almost 4000 miles on it, and with the exception of some teething problems promptly fixed under warranty, it's only needed a couple of tune ups and some new tires. If you like the shop and they're offering a warranty consider it.

Since it's going to be an outdoor bike, keep it clean and lubricated- all exposed metal covered with Boeshield or something similar (Edit- nothing on the brake surfaces), under shelter- you don't want any bike in the rain and sun all the time, and locked. The outside and used for school angle also make me think that a less expensive bike is a better choice than some carbon fiber dream machine. I doubt you'll need to upgrade the brakes. With skinny high pressure tires more gripping power isn't needed. You'll probably be able to lock them and will need to work on technique and to think ahead. The best emergency stopping technique is not to avoid having to make one.

However, if you take it to competitions, be aware that it's not really a Tri bike, and more than a few people will sneer at the Schwinn name. Blow 'em off the road and that'll wipe the smiles from their faces.
    To the troll mobile, away...