MCF
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006

Shimano 540's vs. Quattro SL for first clipless system?

My wife just got her first pair of biking shoes (Sidi Mountain Bike Shoes) and I am debating whether to use a pair of Shimano 540 SPD pedals and new cleats I have or a pair of Quattro SL and new cleats I have...any thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Quattro

While, I haven't ridden the quattro, I think my crank bros. pedals are much easier to get in and out of than my spd cleats. If she has never used clipless before I vote for anything crank bros. Just my preference, after having started out w/ spd.

I ride in circles..
    I ride Quattro SL pedals. I love them. They're simple to use.. no adjustments because they're not needed. I ride regular Eggs on my full squish... Mallet 2's on my SS.. and Quattro's on my road bike.. I figure that trying something else is a waste of effort if I love what I already have.

With the Quattro cleats you can still walk too.. without fear of ruining your cleat.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Why not try them both and let her decide. I use to ride the quattros but changed to the shimano system and I like it better. My wife tried both and likes her quattros. She likes how they guide you to the clips. Personal preference.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.