Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    27

    Shimano Road Racing and Road Touring Pedals

    Are the cleats the same for both these pedal types?

    I'm new to clipless, so I was thinking about getting the Shimano PD-A530 first then later on deciding if I want to go to a full clipless pedal. Just wondering if the shoes/cleats I get can be used on both.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12,228
    Quote Originally Posted by milspecs View Post
    Are the cleats the same for both these pedal types?

    I'm new to clipless, so I was thinking about getting the Shimano PD-A530 first then later on deciding if I want to go to a full clipless pedal. Just wondering if the shoes/cleats I get can be used on both.

    Thanks
    Nope. Shimano road pedals (EX: 105, Ultegra) take SPD-SL (3 hole) cleats. The pedals you referenced take SPD (2 hole) cleats.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    27
    Ok, but are the cleats that you attach to the bottom of the shoes interchangeable? Not sure if that makes any sense...

  4. #4
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12,228
    Quote Originally Posted by milspecs View Post
    Ok, but are the cleats that you attach to the bottom of the shoes interchangeable? Not sure if that makes any sense...
    I think I understand what you're saying. You're asking if the 2 bolt cleats will fit the 3 hole soles of shoes, correct?

    If I have that right, no, they don't match up. But there are shoes that are compatible with (and accept) both SPD and SPD-SL cleats, so when visiting shops, tell them your plans and they should be able to guide you to the models that'll accept both types of cleats.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    27
    Thanks! That's what I was trying to say.

    I didn't want to have to buy two pairs of shoes. Thanks again

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    23
    I might have misunderstood - but you won't want to be changing the cleats on the shoes each time you go out... although you may be able to fix either type of cleat into them.

    I have been fiddling round with my SPD-SL cleats since getting them (2 weeks ago) trying to find the right position, so wouldn't want to then swap them around. I'm finding them trickier to use than my MTB SPD pedals and cleats.

  7. #7
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12,228
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby1 View Post
    I might have misunderstood - but you won't want to be changing the cleats on the shoes each time you go out... although you may be able to fix either type of cleat into them.

    I have been fiddling round with my SPD-SL cleats since getting them (2 weeks ago) trying to find the right position, so wouldn't want to then swap them around. I'm finding them trickier to use than my MTB SPD pedals and cleats.
    I suggest visiting your LBS for assistance. It's important to get (any) cleat set up right, or they can cause some serious discomfort.

    As an alternative, if (for whatever reason) you're going the do-it-yourself route, we can provide some basic set up instructions/ guides.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby1 View Post
    I might have misunderstood - but you won't want to be changing the cleats on the shoes each time you go out... although you may be able to fix either type of cleat into them.

    I have been fiddling round with my SPD-SL cleats since getting them (2 weeks ago) trying to find the right position, so wouldn't want to then swap them around. I'm finding them trickier to use than my MTB SPD pedals and cleats.
    The plan is to get some shimano road touring pedals and some shoes that can use both types of cleats. That way if I decide to go full clipless, I don't have to buy another pair of shoes. Just the spd-sl pedals. Which I'm assuming are cheaper than shoes

  9. #9
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12,228
    Quote Originally Posted by milspecs View Post
    The plan is to get some shimano road touring pedals and some shoes that can use both types of cleats. That way if I decide to go full clipless, I don't have to buy another pair of shoes. Just the spd-sl pedals. Which I'm assuming are cheaper than shoes
    That's a fine plan, but as ruby1 mentioned, you don't want to swap cleats between shoes. Setup is fairly precise, so once they're set you want to leave them alone. Constant reinstalls/ readjustments would become burdensome.

    Shimano's SPD-SL pedals range in price from about $40 to around $350 (or so) as do shoes, so either can be more or less than the other. Since Shimano's 5700 (105) pedals can be found for around $55, you should do ok.

    If you're on the fence on which way to go with a pedal system, here's some info you may find helpful:
    Bike 101-Clipless Pedals

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    That's a fine plan, but as ruby1 mentioned, you don't want to swap cleats between shoes. Setup is fairly precise, so once they're set you want to leave them alone. Constant reinstalls/ readjustments would become burdensome.

    Shimano's SPD-SL pedals range in price from about $40 to around $350 (or so) as do shoes, so either can be more or less than the other. Since Shimano's 5700 (105) pedals can be found for around $55, you should do ok.

    If you're on the fence on which way to go with a pedal system, here's some info you may find helpful:
    Bike 101-Clipless Pedals
    Err what I'm trying to say is I'll only switch cleats once. If I decide to go full clipless, I won't be using the spd pedals anymore. Just the spd-sl pedals

  11. #11
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12,228
    Quote Originally Posted by milspecs View Post
    Err what I'm trying to say is I'll only switch cleats once. If I decide to go full clipless, I won't be using the spd pedals anymore. Just the spd-sl pedals
    Ok, that leaves just one last bit of advice from me. That being, don't cheap out on shoes. Visit shops, try some on (with cycling socks) focusing on the brands/ models that fit/ feel the best and have stiff soles. Models with metatarsal buttons are a plus, IMO/E.

    You can get good quality Shimano 5700 (105) pedals for ~$60.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    27
    Damn, there are cycling socks??!

    What would be considered cheap? Most of the shoes here (South Korea) seem to start at $120

  13. #13
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Reputation: PJ352's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    12,228
    Quote Originally Posted by milspecs View Post
    Damn, there are cycling socks??!

    What would be considered cheap? Most of the shoes here (South Korea) seem to start at $120
    My Specialized Elites were ~$120 back in '08, so they're probably around $150 now. But note that I said "don't cheap out on shoes", meaning, get comfortable, well designed shoes with stiff soles. If you can find them cheap, all the more power to you!

    Yes, there are cycling socks. Fortunately, they're relatively inexpensive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook