RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013

shoes, outer edges of feet

going numb, from third toe outer part of foot, wraps around to heel. have been adjusting for magic spot, using candy eggbeaters and bontrager shoes. Have wide eeee foot with skinny heel and l foot size smaller than right. seems worse pedaling into wind or uphill. thx, john

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrowjbe View Post
    going numb, from third toe outer part of foot, wraps around to heel. have been adjusting for magic spot, using candy eggbeaters and bontrager shoes. Have wide eeee foot with skinny heel and l foot size smaller than right. seems worse pedaling into wind or uphill. thx, john
    Could be a number of causes, but for starters (and because you experience more discomfort when pedal pressure increases), I suggest upping your cadence. It's a good idea for several reasons, but in this case it'll serve to minimize pressure on your forefoot.

Other things to consider:
    - Feet swell during rides, so be careful not to over tighten fasteners.
    - use cycling specific socks
    - Cleat adjustment (back) may be helpful, but try upping cadence first
    - Insoles with metatarsal buttons to disperse pressure may be helpful
    - wedges that cant the outer foot down slightly may be required

The above assumes a well designed, well fitting shoe with stiff soles and cleats properly set up/ positioned. I'd be curious what you mean by "have been adjusting for magic spot". Are you doing this set up yourself?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    PJ said it all.

Cleat adjustment and over tightening would be the first things I'd consider.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013

shoes, outer edges of feet

I am adjusting because numb feet are an issue. I tried up, back, side to side, the current position is the least amount of numbness. The foot doctor thinks it may be related to a back issue because it is the same in booth feet. I have had back surgery, but it was cervical, this would be lumbar. I was sold bontrager shoes, probably because I bought from a Trek dealer, but i have wide feet and nothing else came close to being wide enough. I am not overtightening the straps, if anything I leave them loose because I cant stand tight shoes. Grew up in Fl wearing flip flops. I am just learning the nuances and mostly ride alone.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrowjbe View Post
    I am adjusting because numb feet are an issue. I tried up, back, side to side, the current position is the least amount of numbness. The foot doctor thinks it may be related to a back issue because it is the same in booth feet. I have had back surgery, but it was cervical, this would be lumbar. I was sold bontrager shoes, probably because I bought from a Trek dealer, but i have wide feet and nothing else came close to being wide enough. I am not overtightening the straps, if anything I leave them loose because I cant stand tight shoes. Grew up in Fl wearing flip flops. I am just learning the nuances and mostly ride alone.
    Nothing against your dr, but I would advise that you find a reputable LBS for assistance with cleat set up.

Because of your history, I also suggest a shop that offers pro fits, not because you need one, but because they're more apt to be experienced in the use of insoles/ metatarsal buttons and wedges. They should also be able to assess your shoes and fit.

If you decide to continue with the do-it-yourself approach, here's a link to some info on cleat set up (#3). A good fore/ aft starting point is to position the cleats so that ball of foot is slightly ahead of the pedal spindle, but IMO you may benefit from some professional assistance.

No love for Secteur? I love my new 2011 Comp!