Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012

Shorts - Not a Lycra Kinda Guy?

Just getting into cycling and I'm about 30 pounds overweight due to inactivity after microfracture knee surgery. I don't think it would matter even if I wasn't overweight.

What cycle short options do I have instead of the lycra cycling shorts?

Even when I was a lean 180 pound runner I would not wear lycra type shorts...they are just not me

Also, if I can't find any locally, where is the best place to purchase them and does anyone offer a free return policy?

Thanks.

TripleB

RoadBikeReview Member
    You should wear some capri pants....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Get bibs and a jersey.

Put on some board shorts.

Profit.

Seriously, don't be one of those weirdo's who walk around showing their bulge off.
    (When I ride my MTB I do this because...it's just not right wearing all lycra on a MTB.)

Man, I'm Awesome
    Mountain bike shorts. Look like regular shorts but with a liner.

I bought a bunch of jogging shorts at Target. Then I got a few pairs of these :
    Amazon.com: Pearl Izumi Men's Liner Short: Clothing

They are short liners. Wear them under anything and turn your whole wardrobe into cycling wear. These are NOT bike shorts, as one reviewer on amazon did not realize until they were on a long ride and everyone could see his junk. They fit a lot nicer than regular bike shorts, not so much compression.

Even though I'm on the road all the time, I ride a touring bike and dress what I call mtn bike casual.
    "I like to ride my bicycle." - Lance Armstrong -

Man, I'm Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLopez View Post
    Get bibs and a jersey.

Put on some board shorts.

Profit.

Seriously, don't be one of those weirdo's who walk around showing their bulge off.
    (When I ride my MTB I do this because...it's just not right wearing all lycra on a MTB.)
    I've been thinking of getting some really wild printed board shorts and cutting out the junk holder and wearing a liner underneath. That would be fun.

Oh man. Just found a cool pair: Guiness Black and Tan shorts.

Name:  Guinness_Stout_CON_Black_Boardshorts1.jpg
Views: 1924
Size:  36.2 KB

RoadBikeReview Member
    I started with spandex shorts under a pair of gym shorts along with 40 extra pounds. If you stick with it you will loose that extra weight, switch to bibs or cycling shorts, and start shaving your legs. Wear what ever makes you feel comfortable.
    Last edited by jchick; 02-10-2013 at 06:59 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    IMO, just get the cycling shorts.

But, you can also get some baggy shorts to wear over them. I think that road shorts are a better liner than the liners in mountain bike shorts. All kinds of shorts work well enough once they're layered over road shorts. I've been curious about board shorts myself. Hiking shorts are fine, I've been known to wear the upper 60% of a pair of Carhartts, whatever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Sometimes I wear jeans (blasphemy!) over lycra shorts. But lycra is most comfortable not because of wind resistance nor sexiness, but because it provides decent padding and doesn't chafe your bottom. You will be so happy when your butt doesn't develop sweat rashes or butt pimples from wearing uncomfortable underwear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    When u ride slowly, any shorts will do. I did a 40 miles ride(was on my bike for 4 hours!) with a couple of beginner rider at a very leisury pace with jeans shorts, very comfortable, no problem

I tried to wear the same jeans shorts on a solo ride at a much more intense pace for one hour, and i started noticing uncomfortable chafing against jeans, lycra under any of your regular shorts as mentioned above is a good idea.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Get proper cycling shorts. You'll get used to it.
    Baggy shorts on the road are plain wrong.
    And shave your legs.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Re: Shorts - Not a Lycra Kinda Guy?

Mountain bike shorts. Basically padded baggies.

Plus all the extra wind resistance will help you lose the weight. ;)

You can find them in big box sports stores like Sports authority and Dick's or online at places like pricepoint.com or performancebike.com. Or even Amazon.

Don't buy a lot. Mine don't even get used for spin class anymore. If you stick with this sport you will become a lycra guy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    So my best bet (ie: offers padding to save my tail, but allows me to be comfortable in what I'm wearing) is to get road cycling shorts and then over them wear whatever type of shorts I'm comfortable in?

As far as shirts, I've got many "dri fit" type of shirts I used for tennis and running. I assume they will be OK? Now that I'm 30 pounds overweight they are no longer loose on me.

Thanks for all the help/input.

TripleB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcg View Post
    I bought a bunch of jogging shorts at Target. Then I got a few pairs of these :
    Amazon.com: Pearl Izumi Men's Liner Short: Clothing
    How does the sizing on these run? ie: if I wear pants with a 34" waist, what size should I order?

Thanks.

TripleB

Man, I'm Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
    How does the sizing on these run? ie: if I wear pants with a 34" waist, what size should I order?

Thanks.

TripleB
    I have the same waist. I ordered the xl and they are a smidge loose. They feel fine, but may get baggy if I lose a few pounds. I will probably order some in large next time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    So my best bet (ie: offers padding to save my tail, but allows me to be comfortable in what I'm wearing) is to get road cycling shorts and then over them wear whatever type of shorts I'm comfortable in?

As far as shirts, I've got many "dri fit" type of shirts I used for tennis and running. I assume they will be OK? Now that I'm 30 pounds overweight they are no longer loose on me.

TripleB
    Thats basically what I do. I am waaaaay overweight because, well life happens and I didn't pay attention. Anyways to keep from having people lose control of their vehciles at the sight of me in Lycra (basically think of trying to cram a whale into a dolphine skin) I wear some MTB shorts over the top and a dri fit shirt. Not the most aerodynamic but it makes for a safer community, visually.
    2004 Trek Fuel 70
    2011 Fuji Roubiax 1.0

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    When I started to ride again, I thought as you do. I bought a pair of MTB shorts, with a liner. I quickly learned to hate the things. The liner is too short in the back, so It feels like it is pulling down. The baggy legs ride up uncomfortably and I constantly have to pull them down while I ride. After a couple of weeks, I bought some "real" cycling shorts and I haven't used the MTB shorts since. You have to get over this cring what others think of your looks and go with what is practical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009

TripleB
    (font and color removed because they annoyed me.)

I think so. The big deal with a purpose-built cycling jersey is that it has a zipper in the front and three pockets in the back. I actually find both of those features very convenient, but if you don't need them, there's no reason that some other athletic shirt won't work fine. It really doesn't even have to be tight. I do prefer fitted clothing because it doesn't do weird stuff in the wind and if I'm doing a discipline in which I dismount and remount a lot or get behind the saddle sometimes, I like that I don't hook the saddle when I'm returning to a seated riding position. So it's up to you to decide if these are even an issue for you, and how important they are compared to how self-conscious you feel dressed up as a superhero.

The purpose of the chamois in a pair of road shorts isn't to pad your butt. Frankly, they don't do a good job of that anyway. It's to prevent chafing. I ride one of my bikes in street clothes all the time, and I'm pretty comfortable. The big difference is that when I'm commuting, I ride my bike for about fifteen minutes and try to remember that it's not a race. When I'm out on a "real" ride, I'm on the bike for a lot longer, and I'm likely to have a few real efforts, so I sweat and the chamois becomes much more important. While I choose a firmer saddle for my "serious" bikes, it's not that big a deal - I can ride those bikes in jeans too, it's really about how long I'm riding and whether or not I get gross and sweaty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    The purpose of the chamois in a pair of road shorts isn't to pad your butt. Frankly, they don't do a good job of that anyway. It's to prevent chafing.
    The purpose of the chamoise is to wick away sweat, which (as AndrwSwtich) points out, has the effect of preventing chaffing.

Just wanted to clarify for the OP.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    I think that's a great question the OP posted for those who aren't comfortable wearing tight clothing. If it keeps you away from riding, I say do what you want that makes you comfortable riding.

For me, i'm not use to wearing tight clothing, but I just said, if everyone else is wearing it, no reason to be self-conscious about it, if anything, I don't feel like an odd one out, but who knows.

But I feel that if you get into more cycling, that it's worth a try, since they design cycling clothing for more than just looks and that there is a huge functional purpose behind them. I think more than likely, you'll probably have to adjust your clothing if you get more serious or ride longer than just for commuting purposes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonG View Post
    The purpose of the chamoise is to wick away sweat, which (as AndrwSwtich) points out, has the effect of preventing chaffing.

Just wanted to clarify for the OP.
    um, no, it isn't.

RoadBikeReview Member

TripleB
    Loose is counterproductive for this type of shirt. When it's loose, all it does is create a pocket of air next to your skin. You want it to fit close to your skin so it can wick and begin evaporating your sweat.

Also, regarding your thread topic... Nobody is a "lycra kind of guy". You have people who are willing to put their silly self conscious insecurities aside for the sake of function and comfort, and you have the guys who haven't done that yet.

You're clearly in the second group. Maybe someday you can join the first group. Nobody cares if you have 30 pounds of extra weight. Wearing loose clothes isn't going to fool anybody anyway. The sooner you get over yourself, the sooner you'll be comfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I used to be in the camp of no to lycra. I now have 4 pair of PI cycling shorts, very glad I made the change. Much more comfortable and appropriate on a road bike.
    Trek Domane 6 Ultegra
    Cannondale Synapse 3 Ultegra Disc
    Fuji Cross Comp
    Trek Dual Sport 8.4 (sold)
    1969 Camaro Pace car - numbers matching frame off resto
    1969 Camaro Coupe

Cycling induced anoesis
    Loose/ baggy/ layering/ liners never worked for me, but obviously works for some.

My advice is to try to overcome whatever notions you have towards Lycra and give either bibs or shorts a try. Similar to what some have offered, I think the longer, faster you ride the more you'll come to appreciate their cycling specific design.

Token Sprinter
    I'd definitely go with a pair of either road shorts or bibs and throw your choice of board shorts/athletic shorts over top. They will be more comfortable and if you ever decide you want to try the lycra look you'll be all ready to go.

When I started riding my mountain bike I never thought I'd be that guy out there in lycra. Then I bought a pair of lycra shorts and was amazed at the level of comfort, better ventilation, and how much less I was getting my shorts caught on the nose of the saddle. I got tired of wearing and washing the same pair of shorts all the time, so I got a pair of bibs next. Even more comfortable than the shorts! No waistband to pinch, no drawstring to fiddle with, and no worries about showing some plumbers crack if the shorts ride down. Nowadays I have a good collection of bibs that I absolutely love and would never go back. In just about a year I went from a no lycra guy to a huge lycra fan. I've even started shaving my guns, but that's a whole different can of worms.
    Amassing Miles - My Little Cycling Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    On long rides, it's tough to beat a great pair of bib shorts.

I briefly tried the baggy shorts. I didn't like how I seemed to slide around on the saddle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast