RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Some basic help for a new rider

hello everybody

This is my first post here so please be nice. Let me start by stating the situation. Skip to the second paragraph if you don't want to here my life story haha.

I am in Highschool and are a keen rower, recently (since rowing season has finished) I have been looking for a form of cross training, my friends who all have road bikes have suggested road riding, so I gave it a go and totally enjoyed it! I have been on 4 rides now and am still enjoying it, borrowing everything I need from my friends on these rides. My big brother is also a keen or very keen cyclist and he has lent me his bike until I can save up for my own . It's his old LOOK and its about 10 years old or so (He is a lot older than me). He has given me the correct cleats for the pedals on this bike and now all I need to do is to buy some shoes which I am planning on doing tomorrow.

Here is were the questions come in. So I am going to my LBS to buy some nicks and some shoes. Since I have always been riding with friends on there bikes, they have always been there with spare tires ext, in case if a puncture but since I am now able to ride on my own, I don't know what to do if something like this happens. so my question to you guys is what are the basic things to buy (like a puncture kit and what goes in these), how I should go around the basics of riding (fitting the bike to my size ext. Although I am pretty close to the same height of my bro), is there anything I should watch out for in a bike this old, some general tips and anything else you think i need to know about riding on my own (I know the rules of the road signalling ext.)

Sorry for the extremely long question and I'm sure I would benefit from any help given.

THANKS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hudoe View Post
    hello everybody

This is my first post here so please be nice. Let me start by stating the situation. Skip to the second paragraph if you don't want to here my life story haha.

I am in Highschool and are a keen rower, recently (since rowing season has finished) I have been looking for a form of cross training, my friends who all have road bikes have suggested road riding, so I gave it a go and totally enjoyed it! I have been on 4 rides now and am still enjoying it, borrowing everything I need from my friends on these rides. My big brother is also a keen or very keen cyclist and he has lent me his bike until I can save up for my own . It's his old LOOK and its about 10 years old or so (He is a lot older than me). He has given me the correct cleats for the pedals on this bike and now all I need to do is to buy some shoes which I am planning on doing tomorrow.

Here is were the questions come in. So I am going to my LBS to buy some nicks and some shoes. Since I have always been riding with friends on there bikes, they have always been there with spare tires ext, in case if a puncture but since I am now able to ride on my own, I don't know what to do if something like this happens. so my question to you guys is what are the basic things to buy (like a puncture kit and what goes in these), how I should go around the basics of riding (fitting the bike to my size ext. Although I am pretty close to the same height of my bro), is there anything I should watch out for in a bike this old, some general tips and anything else you think i need to know about riding on my own (I know the rules of the road signalling ext.)

Sorry for the extremely long question and I'm sure I would benefit from any help given.

THANKS
    I recommend a patch kit, mini pump,tube, tire levers, and multitool. As for a proper bike fitting I suggest the LBS as they have the expert for setting you up properly. Before every ride check your tires for any defects and proper tire pressure. Also ensure your brakes are adjusted to your hands and are working properly. Look over your drivetrain and do your best to keep your chain lubed and clean. You can also take this bike to your LBS to have a more thorough inspection. Ride safely and YouTube has some good vids on bike maintenance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Google is your friend, you can find lots of info on fitting and bike basics and well beyond the basics. I assume if you are a kid on a budget some of the advice one reads on forums might be expensive and learning about bike maintenance at least should be well within the abilities of a motivated highschooler. As I tell my kids, use the internet for good and not just evil.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Tops on my list of "essentials" is a helmet, so (if need be) set aside some funds for that. Except for the full face models, all road helmets meet the same standards, so no need to break the bank on this. Below is my list of the remainder of the items. Tailor it to your needs/ environment.

If you're going to your LBS to buy shoes, etc., ask about getting a mechanical and fit assessment done on your brother's LOOK. Your cleat set up being an integral part of bike fit (and is generally included with a shoe purchase), this can all be accomplished in one trip and (IMO) represents a worthwhile investment.

Essentials:
    Wedge saddle bag - medium (Topeak/ Specialized are two good brands)
    Tire levers
    Spare tube
    Patch kit
    Piece of old tube or 1$ bill to use as a 'boot'
    Innovations Ultraflate Plus CO2 inflator
    2-3 12-16g unthreaded carts (I get the 12g's by the box at Walmart)
    Multitool w/ chain breaker
    mini-pump (if you don't trust CO2 alone)

Not essential, but nice to have:
    Road ID
    Lights
    Rag/ paper towels
    Latex gloves
    A second tube, if it'll fit. And some members have suggested individual packets of waterless soap (Gojo, or similar).

A wheelist
    And when you've absorbed everyone's comments and decided on what to carry (here's my stuff from my site) make sure you absolutely know how to use it before you venture out (change tubes a few times as practice!). Nothing worse than having the stuff but not the knowledge.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.