Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spandex?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018

Spandex?

Hi first post here. I am a mountain biker primarily but bought a used road bike to ride in winter and maybe in summer as well if I like it. I have several pair of spandex short which I wear under my baggies for MTB. Somehow the baggies almost look out of place on a roadie but I haven't been able to get used to wearing the spandex, wondering what people
    are going to think.

Forever a Student
    You don't have to wear them alone. You can put shorts over them.

Thing is, you go fast on a road bike and the wind is hell. Having shirts and shorts flapping away like mad when I'm speeding along drives me nuts. Drastically slows you down too. Hence the skin tight stuff.
    use a torque wrench

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Road riding with spandex is so much more comfortable and efficient, it's pretty much night and day. Yes, where you live can make a big difference on whether or not you get cat calls (or at least fear you might get cat calls). And I still know a couple of guys who refuse to show up at work without a necktie, and a couple of women I've never seen wear anything but a skirt. And if you just can't get used to parading around in spandex I guess it's okay to weather the discomfort. But I gotta say, if you can liberate yourself from your fashion straitjacket you'll be a much happier road rider.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lycra is the uniform of the day for roadies.

would you wear a tux to go surfing?
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I'm not clear what you're saying. You can't get used to the feel and you wonder what we think, or you can't get used to wondering what people think when they see you wearing them?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    "can't get used to wondering what people think when they see you wearing them?"

I guess I will just try it and use the baggies for my MTB. Almost everybody I see on a road bike including my friends wear Spandex.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well there's your problem. Spandex is for 80's hair metal bands.

Roadies wear Lycra.
    ​Huzzah! I've figured out how to put something in the little box under my posts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    Whoops!

I make Eagles fly
    After you wear it a couple times, you adjust. No more flapping in the wind, just smooth sailing. It’s not like you are riding to social events and if it is a cycling social event, everyone is in gear
    If you don't follow the liberal flock, you are called a troll.

Born Again Biker
    Its funny, this is exactly what I was thinking when I bought my first road bike. At the store, I mentioned that to the owner and he said, just wear it, you'll get used to it. I did, and have not thought about it since. I wear it to spin classes at the gym now. Don't give it a second thought, they are so much more comfortable and you'll look more weird wearing baggy shorts riding a road bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Road riding with spandex is so much more comfortable and efficient, it's pretty much night and day. Yes, where you live can make a big difference on whether or not you get cat calls (or at least fear you might get cat calls).
    At my age, I'm not worried about getting any cat calls. Hair ball vomit is more like it.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Slowski
    Quote Originally Posted by yalerider View Post
    Whoops!
    lol, it's the same. Lycra, Spandex, Elastane are all the same thing. Different brand/trade names, but same polyurethane based elastic material. Latex free - good to know.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    lol, it's the same. Lycra, Spandex, Elastane are all the same thing. Different brand/trade names, but same polyurethane based elastic material. Latex free - good to know.
    Thanks. I was sooooo embarrassed to use the wrong name.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    One word..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaCHH5D74Fs
    Last edited by Lombard; 01-10-2018 at 05:36 AM.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Russian Troll Farmer
    So....if you have "body image issues", sure, go ahead and wear loose shorts. Don't forget the tube socks, though....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    So....if you have "body image issues", sure, go ahead and wear loose shorts. Don't forget the tube socks, though....
    If that's the issue, I suppose it would be possible to carry a pair of light jogging shorts in your jersey pocket that would go on and off in no time. Off the bike, like going into a store or whatever, is really the only time anyone will really see what you're wearing.

Maybe I'm lucky about where I live and ride but a guy wearing spandex in public hasn't been a head turner in many decades.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Come to think of it, nobody asked whether the OP is a he or a she. That might explain a few things.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Or, to be slightly more precise, spandex is the generic term for the fiber in the U.S., called elastane in Britain. Lycra is the brand name used by the original manufacturer. It was invented by DuPont about 50 years ago. They later spun off their textile fiber business (which includes some other names we recognize, such as nylon, cordura, Coolmax, etc.) into a subsidiary called Invista, which is now owned by Koch Industries.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    I live in PNW so men wearing knickers seem to be the norm for road biking. Lycra shorts probably don't get a second look.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by yalerider View Post
    I live in PNW so men wearing knickers seem to be the norm for road biking. Lycra shorts probably don't get a second look.
    Black only, if you have concerns. Or if you don't, black only. There are photos that will make it clear why.

As others have said, you get used to it. And a pull on pair of shorts is easy to pack. I have a SUPER light pair of camping pants that convert to shorts. On rare occasion (like an all day ride with a sit down meal in the middle) I might take them for the restaurant in shorts or pant mode, depending on the place.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Black only, if you have concerns. Or if you don't, black only. There are photos that will make it clear why.
    I don't think I've ever seen bike shorts that aren't black at least in the front and back - for obvious reasons. Some have different colors along sides or at leg openings.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen bike shorts that aren't black at least in the front and back - for obvious reasons. Some have different colors along sides or at leg openings.
    Never? http://youngjournalistacademy.com/wp.../07/4-jers.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Not for us mere mortals at least. Pics of pros don't count. We're talking about the rest of the world. In my years of club rides, I've never seen anybody wear something like that. And if you look at all the form fitting spandex shorts sold by JensonUSA, all are black in the front and back panels:

Shorts | Jenson USA

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Not for us mere mortals at least. Pics of pros don't count. We're talking about the rest of the world. In my years of club rides, I've never seen anybody wear something like that. And if you look at all the form fitting spandex shorts sold by JensonUSA, all are black in the front and back panels:

Shorts | Jenson USA
    I have. Consider yourself lucky. You don't want to see it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    I have several pairs of black ones already which I wear under my baggies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast