Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Squirrel Exterminator Needed

721 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Teuthis 
#1 ·
Hi, all. Need some help here, so first, the deets: '15 Fuji Sportif 2.3; 700 x 25c clinchers at 85/95psi f/r; descending gawdawful cracked and chipsealed switchbacks at 5% to 7% around 30 to 40mph. The problem: a curious vague feeling off the brakes and a squirrely wiggley feeling when braking.

K, before you ask: I'm a new rider, 5'10", 155lbs (hence the lower tire pressures, but I've tried higher pressures too); I descend in the drops, braking before the corner with both front and rear; my wheels are true; my headset's tight; and the bike feels good on all my other routes. Scooting my butt forward to load the front wheel more helps a bit, but nonetheless, my feeling is less than confident.

So is it me? The bike? The coarse chipseal (Rimrock Road over the Colorado National Monument, for those who're familiar)?

Thanks in advance for your learned squirrel education.

#2 ·
If it's a shimmy you're describing (and it seems to be), could be any number of things, or a combination...

- Fork/ frame misaligned
- wheel(s) misaligned
- loose skewers
- loose hub bearings
- loose headset (yeah, I know you said it wasn't, but it still *might* be)
- poor f/r weight distribution

You say it doesn't present itself on other roads, but remember, the faster you go, the more likely these things manifest themselves.

The reason I mentioned the headset is because (as an example) I know mine is worn and in need of replacement, but it isn't loose. Yet, on the downhill (when braking) I feel a slight shimmy/ vibration.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info, PJ. After reading your reply, I (re)checked the headset and hubs. They feel tight, and as the bike is only a few months old, wear seems less likely. Misalignment is possible. I don't know how to check that, and I'd be unhappy were it the case, as the bike is new and never crashed. I'm leaning (no pun intended) to weight distribution; perhaps what I think is forward enough isn't.

Clarification: The feeling is less like shimmy and more like the sloppy feel of a nearly-flat tire. What's most unnerving is that as I'm approaching the corner and starting to brake, the sloppy feeling appears and scares me enough to transfer more braking to the rear, which is less effective and a bad idea anyway.

#4 · (Edited)
There are "do it yourself" methods to check frame alignment, but it's best done on a rack.

The fork can be checked by sight - make sure the wheel sits centered, and straight. Also check that when the bars/ stem is centered, the wheel faces straight ahead.

Too little frontal weight can make a bike feel sketchy in turns, so take steps to make sure your frame meets your sizing requirements - and you have been fitted. Assuming you purchased from an LBS, they would have gone through this process.

Lastly, generally speaking, you shouldn't have to reposition yourself fore/ aft on your bike because you're turning or braking.

EDIT: There's nothing wrong with using both brakes as you approach a turn, but in a turn coast through it, then accelerate out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.