RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017

Red face Starting Cycling, Have a couple of questions (need to find a buddy)

Hi,
    I'm new to cycling, although I owned a mountain bike a few years back i haven't ridden one in a while but i wanted get back into it so I'm think of buying the raleigh criterium (https://www.raleigh.co.uk/criterium-15770) can someone tell me if this is a good bike, I don't know how far i'll go with this but i'm thinking of entering races in the future if i'm able to. Is there a good local cycle shop where I can buy a road cycle for around under 500 or is this the best one i can get for that price?

my second question is how should i start out? right now im 75kg and I work out but I wouldn't call my self fit since i run out of stamina really quickly, so how long should i ride? how much time should i spend every day? and how would i start training.

and lastly, is anyone to willing to go cycling with me? I live in North East London.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, for, what, $650, it's not a bad deal, but you might get more in a used bike for that price. Shimano Claris is kinda cheap, and the wheels are an unknown. I'd bet you could get a lightly-used 105-level bike for about the same price. I certainly wouldn't suggest that this bike you are looking at is 'competitive', but starting out on a full-race bike would be a mistake.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Well, for, what, $650, it's not a bad deal, but you might get more in a used bike for that price. Shimano Claris is kinda cheap, and the wheels are an unknown. I'd bet you could get a lightly-used 105-level bike for about the same price. I certainly wouldn't suggest that this bike you are looking at is 'competitive', but starting out on a full-race bike would be a mistake.
    Would a 2017 Specialized Allez Road bike be better? Its 400 USED, so its just 50 cheaper than the raleigh since i can get a student discount on their website. it has the Shimano Claris gears as well.

I agree you with you that i don't need a full-race bike right now but I want to be able to upgrade the gear set in the future, I wouldn't mind spending money on buying the parts but I don't want to spend like 1k on a bike right now when im just starting out.

Hi
    May 2010
    Seconded on the used route. You can often get move value for your money.. just be sure the frame size fits you, that's the main thing.