RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Stretching for greater saddle comfort?

I've been having some saddle comfort issues. Mainly that my part behind my genitals takes up most of my weight. So I was looking at Fizik's spine concept stuff, and some old videos of Armstrong's riding position, and figured lack of flexibility was the cause of my saddle pains. I decided to stretch out my back, hamstrings, and gluteus to try to get my pelvis to rotate backwards and put more weight on my sit bones. So far it has been helping me a lot. I don't know if what I'm doing is correct, but I'm more comfortable.

Militant commuter
    If it works for you, fantastic! Stretching is a good idea no matter what...a flexible rider is a stronger rider, and also a more comfortable one.

Still, if your discomfort continues, you should look into your overall position on the bike. A professional fitting is expensive, but totally worth it.
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I recommend a professional fitting too... I had some problems with the girly area on my century attempt and scheduled a fitting afterwards to solve the problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    do you guys prefer dynamic stretching or static??? i am new to biking and i normally dont strech.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I stretch after my ride, and do static stretches.

If I were to stretch before my ride, I'd do dynamic stretches but be conservative about my range of motion. I'm generally fine with a warmup that's just riding. Better yet, I sometimes do ramps (start at low power, maintain a good spin, click up through the gears and get a good spin at each one, maybe click up one or two times and sprint out of the saddle, soft-pedal down to a low speed again, repeat) before a race. I usually don't bother with a structured warmup for a training ride, and I usually ride my bike to workouts and don't feel I need additional warmup. Really, the structured warmup is just for a cold start when I want to ride at high intensity from the beginning of the event.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    I roll out with a foam roller and lacrosse balls. I do this whether I'm hitting weights at the crossfit gym or riding my bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Foam roller and Lacrosse balls are amazing for stretching and recovery after working out.

I was having similar discomfort after riding, and I ended up getting a better seat. After I was fitted to the bike, I was still having some issues, although not nearly as bad. Once I upgraded my seat I have had no problems, this is just my experience, and am by no means an experienced rider.

Beau