RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012

Tool Kit - What to Look For?

When looking to purchase a 'tool kit' to take along on rides, what are the important items I need to make sure it has?

ie: does this have everything I'd need when riding Amazon.com: Topeak The Mini Plus 18-Function Bicycle Tool: Sports & Outdoors

Sorry for such a newbie question.

TripleB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
    When looking to purchase a 'tool kit' to take along on rides, what are the important items I need to make sure it has?

ie: does this have everything I'd need when riding Amazon.com: Topeak The Mini Plus 18-Function Bicycle Tool: Sports & Outdoors

TripleB

Depends on what your bike needs. That should cover most of it though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... does this have everything I'd need when riding Amazon.com: Topeak The Mini Plus 18-Function Bicycle Tool: Sports & Outdoors
    TripleB
    Hard to say... for the tires I just put on my bicycle... I added a 2nd tire lever because they were so hard to put on. The tires I used last season... the one level I packed was almost optional. I like wrapping a few inches of duct tape around a tire lever too in case I need a boot due to a cut tire.

I don't take any chain repair parts or tools along with me. Maybe I should... as I do ride alone a lot. But then... would I need a master link part as well?

There are other saddle bag threads. And it is a great topic! For me... this is off season and reading about cycling, watching cycling movies, and performing bicycle maintenance is all I can do... as a cyclist.

I just went through my saddle bag last night. After having read a forum post about tire patching I added a tiny piece of sandpaper to my bag. Topeak is a nice brand, but I am not a big fan of the multi-tool items as a rule. And a special case for a tool just takes up extra wasted space... IMHO. So I guess I am saying the tool looks nice... but maybe more than what I'd carry. Although I wouldn't be without my swiss-tech micro-tech pliers ether.

I use a medium sized saddle bag now and refuse to use a larger bag. I could use a small saddle bag but I like to hide a cable lock in the saddle bag. I am retired and sometimes stopping for a coffee makes a great ride... the perfect ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

ie: does this have everything I'd need when riding Topeak-Mini-Plus-18-Function-Bicycle
    I carry a 5 mm allen wrench, my house key with a slot filed in it to serve as a spoke wrench, and two tire levers (for other people's tires - mine come off easily by hand). I have never had a mechanical I could not deal with. Of course that assumes your bike is properly assembled and properly maintained. YMMV

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

TripleB
    No, but it does have most of what you most likely will never need when riding.
    Take along what you need for flat tires. I only bring 'tools' if I want to experiment with bike fit on a ride. Things won't come lose in the middle of a ride if they are tightened properly at home so use your tools there.

I'm assuming you're not talking about touring type rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I have small saddle bag. In it have 2 tire levers, a tube and minipump. For now all my rides are pretty close to home so I can limp home if something really bad happens.

When I mtn bike I carry a full up multi tool, mini pliers, tube, pump, patch kit, spare chain links. In all my years of riding I have had chains break, wheels go slightly out of true, I had rear derailuer cable failure, and had flats. In all I have used only a few of the tools on my kit. The difference between my view on mtn vs road is on the road I am always in range of an emergency phone call and pick-up. On the trails I may be 10 miles from the nearest road. I figure if I crash bad enough to damage the bike on the road I will just call for help as I probably won't be in riding condition anyway. I probably should toss in a 4mm and 5mm allen just in case. I have them and I probably would not hurt.
    Joe
    Road Bike - Trek 5200 | MTB - 2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the Topeak Alien II and like it a lot. The two halves come apart so it is easier to work with. I keep it on my commuter/cyclocross bike as I am less weight concious on it. I also tinker on my bike at work when I have time so it is nice to have a decent arsenal of tools on the go.
    Specialized Allez Comp Apex- '12 56cm
    Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro- '12 56cm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tools are personal. I happen to like the Park MTB3 mini, I think it has the most tools of any mini on the market. Some of the tools I may never use but I've fixed other people's bikes on the road and used some I would never use on any of mine. I also carry a mini pliers, tire irons, QuikStik (removes tires fast), patch kit, tube, spare tire (yup), zip ties, some duct tape, Fiber Spokes, money (in case I run into a ho). I don't carry any spare links because in 40 years of riding I never broke a chain, but even if I did someday I can rejoin the chain minus one or two links and still ride home with most of the gears usable.

That's a lot of stuff but it does all fit into a under the seat bag, but I like to ride some distance from home and don't want to walk. Even though I ride on the road there are some roads where I could be 10 miles from phone service, but I'm one of those guys who will try anything and everything before even remotely consider calling for help.