RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

Upgrading my 7 speed bike to 9 speed.... need help!

Hello, I'm currently upgrading my 7 speed Schwinn Katana to a 9 speed bike and so far, I've put together some parts and pieces. Here's what I have so far and please tell me if they're good or not. The only thing I'm not quite sure of is what cassette and RD to get. There's a lot of hills where I am at and I don't really have a hard time climbing them, except a few.

STI Shifters/Brakes: Shimano 3 x 9 ST-3400 (Purchased)
    Cassette: Uncertain of which to get
    Pedals: Shimano PD-R540 (Planning to get)
    Crankset: Shimano Sora FC-3403 50/39/30T (Purchased)
    Chain: Uncertain which to get. Would like to have a masterlink or anything that doesn't require a chain breaker.
    FD: Shimano FD-3503 Triple
    RD: Shimano Deore RD-M591 LONG

Thank you !
    Last edited by someoneee; 07-02-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    you'll be needing a long cage Rear Derailleur, because you're going with a triple crank

I also question the front derailleur. you bought one for a double.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    you'll be needing a long cage Rear Derailleur, because you're going with a triple crank

I also question the front derailleur. you bought one for a double.
    My mistake, I remember what it was about the FD. I'll be updating the list in a bit, could you tell me if this is okay now ?

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Shimano FD-3503 is a front derailleur

I assume you meant FC-3503 for the crankset, right?
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Shimano FD-3503 is a front derailleur

I assume you meant FC-3503 for the crankset, right?
    Haha, you caught my mistake, fixed. I bought a FC-3403 Sora. Still not sure which cassette to get for hill climbing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Can you put a 9-speed cassette on a 7-speed freehub body? I thought the 8-9-10 bodies were wider.
    Ubuntu: I am what I am because of who we all are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Can you put a 9-speed cassette on a 7-speed freehub body? I thought the 8-9-10 bodies were wider.
    Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Shimano M756/2,M570,M555,M540 freehub body, 8/9sp

This should do the trick I hope ?

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by someoneee View Post
    This should do the trick I hope ?
    It probably will. But after the freehub body transplant, you'll probably need to go to a wider over-the-locknut dimension. If you re-space your hub, you generally need to re-dish the wheel and if you want everything perfect, reset the frame spacing.

Frankly, I never understood the desire to "upgrade" from 7-speed to more "speeds." The effort and expense in doing so is substantial, the gains are small to non-existent. YMMV.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    It probably will. But after the freehub body transplant, you'll probably need to go to a wider over-the-locknut dimension. If you re-space your hub, you generally need to re-dish the wheel and if you want everything perfect, reset the frame spacing.

Frankly, I never understood the desire to "upgrade" from 7-speed to more "speeds." The effort and expense in doing so is substantial, the gains are small to non-existent. YMMV.
    Seems like a P.I.T.A. Looks like I'll be visiting the bike shop instead of going DIY on this. It seems that I haven't received any answers on which cassette to choose though. If you could point me in the right direction, that would be nice

RoadBikeReview Member
    Seems like a P.I.T.A. Looks like I'll be visiting the bike shop instead of going DIY on this. It seems that I haven't received any answers on which cassette to choose though. If you could point me in the right direction, that would be nice
    I think you're misunderstanding some of the advice here, so I'll try to be blunter. It's not just a PITA -- it's not worth it; it's a waste of money; you'll spend more money than the bike is worth, for very little gain in function. You're far better off to just ride the bike as it is, and save your money to buy a better bike in the future if you really want those kinds of upgrades.
    Ubuntu: I am what I am because of who we all are.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    you got a triple crank... it's going to help greatly with the 30T chain ring. I don't know what kind of hills you're dealing with... but on the conservative side... a 11-28

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    you got a triple crank... it's going to help greatly with the 30T chain ring. I don't know what kind of hills you're dealing with... but on the conservative side... a 11-28
    Thank you very much! That was the answer I was looking for. I mean the hills here aren't super steep or anything, but that's just me. I'm looking to go fast down hills too.

Trænger til hjælp
    Bottom bracket.
    Trænger til hjælp

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Looks like this thread was dying and got dredged...

OP, I agree with those who say it's not worth it. So, I hope you haven't plowed in more money in the last week.

Some other things to be aware of - if this isn't a contemporary bike, the rear hub spacing may be weird, and you may be using a freewheel, not a cassette.

If you do have a cassette, if your rear hub isn't a Shimano (and the right Shimano...) swapping freehub bodies may not be doable.