Old Tunnel Road
    Nov 2004

Are valve cover caps necessary?

Can one ride safely without valve cover caps.? Do the pros use them?
    book antiguaRockridge

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll go first, to answer your three questions in order

1. no
    2. yes
    3 I don't know, but I'd bet not.
    Ubuntu: I am what I am because of who we all are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    JMO, but I think they're necessary insofar that they offer protection to the Presta valve tips.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    You do not need valve covers or the little nuts that go around the valve stem. I throw them out. They just get in the way when you need to change a flat. I don't know if pros use them but even if they do, when they get a flat during a race they just replace the entire wheel anyway. It's faster.

see this thread Valve stem caps

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockridge View Post
    Can one ride safely without valve cover caps.? Do the pros use them?
    you've been a member since 2004 and you need this important issue resolved now...?
    eff all y'all...

Lost in Space...
    only if you are worried about dirt collecting and somehow damaging the valve (more likely with schrader than with presta).

User is infamous around
    Do you need them, no. However be aware that some local ordinances do require them, just like cars and trucks, and if inspected and they aren't there, you could be fined. The likelyhood of that happening is only slightly better than Cthulhu showing up for your group ride, but it is possible (even if not probable).
    I use the retaining ring on the valve stems though, since if they weren't needed, the manufacturer would not spend the money on threading and extra material costs. Besides they don't hurt anything, and not even the most rabid weight weenie could argue that the weight would inhibit your performance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I always use the caps on my mountain bike and commuter bike as they offer some level of protection from the dirt and water that I could possibly go through. My road bike I couldn't say if there is a cap or not, not so worried about it there.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Do you need them, no. However be aware that some local ordinances do require them, just like cars and trucks, and if inspected and they aren't there, you could be fined. The likelyhood of that happening is only slightly better than Cthulhu showing up for your group ride, but it is possible (even if not probable).
    I use the retaining ring on the valve stems though, since if they weren't needed, the manufacturer would not spend the money on threading and extra material costs. Besides they don't hurt anything, and not even the most rabid weight weenie could argue that the weight would inhibit your performance.
    So you're saying you've never seen the many different types of tubes (and tubular tires) that aren't threaded? And what about valve extenders? Have you ever even seen an extender that's threaded on the outside?
    They are in fact capable of causing problems when people overtighten them and pull valves from tubes. All the retaining rings really do is rattle loose and annoy the rider. They are DEFINITELY not needed.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

A wheelist
    In decades of riding and never once having used valve caps or valve nuts on bikes for road, dirt road, gravel road, track, mountain, around town and probably a few other things I've never suffered one iota of an issue from not having them. Chuck 'em.

Oh yeah I do use valve caps for one thing - preventing the nut & stem damaging my rolled up spare tubes in the under saddle bag. Don't leave home without 'em.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    I've never used them in 30 years. I can't imagine why people think they're necessary. Screwing the tip in provides all the protection you'll ever need for both damage and keeping dust, etc. out of the valve.

On the other hand, I can't imagine any problem with using them. Except it just adds to the hassle of airing up the tires - I air mine up almost every ride. Just another thing to have to take off, find a place to set down, lose it, hunt for it, clean it off because it fell in the dirt or mud, etc. Why bother?

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    I've never used them in 30 years. I can't imagine why people think they're necessary. Screwing the tip in provides all the protection you'll ever need for both damage and keeping dust, etc. out of the valve.
    Conversely, I always have (used them for 30 years).

I'll agree they aren't 'necessary', but while the presta tip protects the valve, covers protect the tip. And the added weight doesn't seem to hold me back on the hills much.

Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    Why bother?
    Because it's really no bother.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013

Theoretical Usage for Valve Dust Caps

I can't really think of a good reason to have dust caps over Presta valves. However, with Schrader valves, I can think of at least a couple of reasons. First of all, if you ever have the opportunity to roll thru some type of sedimentary cement-like mud. This mud could dry and get set inside the valve stem and become a real PITA to remove. Also, if you should ever roll thru some type of puddle with a low PH value, the acid would most probably eat right thru the valve seal, while it just sits there in the valve crevice. This could lead to continuous slow leaks, or quite possibly even worse, without a cap.
    Last edited by Zeet; 06-28-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I heard the UCI is going to make valve caps mandatory next year. Something about not riding modified equipment or something like that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    With or without makes no different, but without a cap wheels look cooler. Although do keep a valve cap on the tubes inside your saddle bag. The sharp tip of the presta valve could rub up against the tube and eventually puncture it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I keep a ziplock bag full of valve nuts and caps in case new folks show up to the ride...I quickly install so they underestimate the competition!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    Conversely, I always have (used them for 30 years).

I'll agree they aren't 'necessary', but while the presta tip protects the valve, covers protect the tip. And the added weight doesn't seem to hold me back on the hills much.

Because it's really no bother.
    Well, like I said, it is a bother - a tiny one, yes - if you air up your tires every day and regularly fumble and drop little things!

Fecal indicator
    run one wheel with a cap and the other one without for a year.

make notes after each ride on all issues related to valve caps.

get back to us with your findings.
    eff all y'all...

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    run one wheel with a cap and the other one without for a year.

make notes after each ride on all issues related to valve caps.

get back to us with your findings.
    ^ Post of the week ^
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not necessary at all to use a valve cap on a Presta tube, but you should use one on your spare tube to prevent the valve from damaging it. Those caps weigh nothing so you're not going to notice anything there. Having said that, I use them because I like the finish look they provide...I'm weird!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockridge View Post
    Can one ride safely without valve cover caps.?
    A valve cover should be sufficient. Can't see a reason to put a cap on top of the valve cover.
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"