Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006

What to do with energy gel wrapper?

I did a search but could not find what I was looking for.

What do you do with your energy gel wrapper after you have finished the gel? I don't want to throw it on the side of the road and I don't want to put it in my jersey pocket and get that sticky stuff on it/me.

Just curious what you guys do with yours.

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just leave them in my jersey pocket.

I started using Hammer Gel. You just pour the gel in a flask and have no trash to worry about.

You're Not the Boss of Me
    Jersey pocket. If you don't want to deal with the waste, don't ride with gels. Seriously, that stuff is highly water soluble (that's why it is good fast carbs) so what's the big deal if a little gets on a jersey pocket?
    JESUS IS COMING

... look busy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    As others have said, put it in your pocket. Makes a nice tire boot if you happen to get a cut tire.
    "Get it anyway. Nothing we do on a bicycle has the slightest connection to 'worth it'." -danl1
    "Steel is not made of magic" -Argentius
    "There's a possibility the moon will fall from the sky killing but a small kitten on impact with the earth tomorrow." -Rogger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Another option........

I use the jersey pocket but often have my cell phone, arm warmers, etc. in my pockets and if I dont' want to get this stuff all sticky, I just fold the wrapper over itself 2-3 times and stick it between my handlebars and cables (just to the side of the stem. It fits nicely there (at least on my set-up) and I can just squirt the handlebar off later and throw away the wrapper at my next stop.

gastarbeiter
    similar to MJCBH: i'll roll out ALL of the goo, then roll it up and stick it inbetween the velcro straps of my saddle bag. other times i just toss it into a sewer grate. flame away if you wish.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    At first I thought the gel might stain my jersey. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Also, thanks to everyone at this forum for all the great information. It really helps us new guys.

NeoRetroGrouch
    Quote Originally Posted by s2000red
    I did a search but could not find what I was looking for.

What do you do with your energy gel wrapper after you have finished the gel? I don't want to throw it on the side of the road and I don't want to put it in my jersey pocket and get that sticky stuff on it/me.

Just curious what you guys do with yours.

Thanks
    I just stick it (and the little piece that tears off) under the "cuff" of my shorts. - TF
    "Don't those guys know they're old?!!"
    Me, off the back, at my first 50+ road race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by botto
    similar to MJCBH: i'll roll out ALL of the goo, then roll it up and stick it inbetween the velcro straps of my saddle bag. other times i just toss it into a sewer grate. flame away if you wish.
    Where I am (california) "sewer" grates are for storm drainage, not sewage. They go right into the streams. Throwing trash down there is the same as throwing it into a stream.

I find that if I get most of the gel out and fold the wrapper up so the opening is on the inside it doesn't leak. I just put the used wrappers into the same jersey pocket that I use for food.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I stick the empty GU wrappers into an empty cliff bar wrapper. And if I haven't eaten a cliff bar, I stick the empty GU wrappers into my jersey pocket. It's not cool to litter.

Downhill Juggernaut
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTurtle
    I just stick it (and the little piece that tears off) under the "cuff" of my shorts. - TF
    Ditto here. I roll them up and tuck them up into under my shorts on the top of my thigh.
    If running were a person I would try to sabotage their life so that they were poor and drunk and living in the gutter pulling half smoked cigarettes from ashtrays in front of the Target. - Joe Daddio

Not to mention that when storm grates and draining systems get clogged, it screws everything up. What would possibly lead someone to believe that it is okay to throw trash into a storm grate?
    JESUS IS COMING

... look busy

S2H
    wut?
    Swallow it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Small ziplock bag works well. Put in trash, push the air out and zip shut and into the back jersey pocket.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I'm only about half-roadie & wear my CamelBak any time I'm riding. I keep fuel in the top pocket of the CamelBak & can reach it over my shoulder.

All my trash (Clif Bar wrappers, GU packets, beer bottles) goes up one leg of my shorts. After a few seconds, you don't realize it's there anymore.

tdh
    On the road, I'm a Fred. On the trails, I'm a Barney. I oughta move to Bedrock.

gastarbeiter
    Quote Originally Posted by jtolleson
    What would possibly lead someone to believe that it is okay to throw trash into a storm grate?
    read my OP.

i wrote nothing about it being 'ok to throw things into sewer grates', i just wrote that i sometimes did it.

donuts?
    a$$ho.le
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

read my OP.

i wrote nothing about it being 'ok to throw things into sewer grates', i just wrote that i sometimes did it.

Oh, I see. You "do it," and announce it on the internet, but you weren't suggesting you thought it was okay. Well, I guess then we can all agree you are just a jerk.
    JESUS IS COMING

... look busy

S2H
    wut?
    Oh, I see. You "do it," and announce it on the internet, but you weren't suggesting you thought it was okay. Well, I guess then we can all agree you are just a jerk.
    owned.

gastarbeiter
    Whatever floats your boat, babe.
    Last edited by botto; 10-02-2006 at 12:47 PM.

S2H
    wut?
    Aww damn, it's on like Donkey Kong.

gastarbeiter
    Quote Originally Posted by asciibaron
    a$$ho.le

tofurkey hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H
    Ditto here. I roll them up and tuck them up into under my shorts on the top of my thigh.
    just put it in your jersey. yeah, sometimes little bits of goo will get on your jersey. i tried the under the bibs thing, but if any goo is left, i'd rather have warm sticky goo on the back of my jersey than on the inside of my thigh...NTTAWWT
    i know i painted you a prettier picture, baby...my fiction beats the hell out of my truth

Downhill Juggernaut
    Quote Originally Posted by ampastoral
    just put it in your jersey. yeah, sometimes little bits of goo will get on your jersey. i tried the under the bibs thing, but if any goo is left, i'd rather have warm sticky goo on the back of my jersey than on the inside of my thigh...NTTAWWT
    I haven't had any problems yet. I roll them up with the cut end first so it doesn't leak on me. I did stick them in the jersey pocket in the beginning, but I always managed getting it on my hands when I reached back there for something else, once made the mistake of putting it in the same pocket as my cellphone (goo in the ear is no fun). On the legs is pretty bullet proof for me.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Purposeful littering sucks. It's an elitist attitude that states the person thinks they are above the needs/wants/desires of everyone and everything else... kind of like art snobs.
    If running were a person I would try to sabotage their life so that they were poor and drunk and living in the gutter pulling half smoked cigarettes from ashtrays in front of the Target. - Joe Daddio

donuts?

you just made him cry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQcKt...elated&search=
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast