RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Where to buy accessories?

I've got $120 in store credit at Performance Bicycle.

I'm in need of... probably new tires (I've just purchased a Roubaix 1.0 with Hutchison tires)

Definitely new riding gear, like bibs, or shorts, and jerseys.

Maybe new shoes and clipless pedals.

A seat post bike rack.

A new helmet

New lights for the front and back.

SO, what should I buy at Performance, and what can I get really good deals online?

Thanks,

Cycling induced anoesis
    I think you'll do fine buying everything listed (and stocked) at Performance, but try before you buy applies to shoes, helmets and cycling apparel.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I'd spend it at Performance. Their elite bibs are my faves. They're really excellent! Their jerseys aren't bad at all & they have plenty of choice. Helmet, shoes, pedals can also be found there. You're $120 won't go real far, but you should be able to pick up a pair of bibs & a couple of jerseys, or a couple of tires, maybe a pair of shoes.

If you need more check the internet for competitive prices. I usually go to Ebay 1st, then Amazon, Pro bike kit, Competitive Cyclist, Bike Tires Direct, not in any special order.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Performance price matches, so if you are going to shop, let Performance know what you find, and make that amount go a little further.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Dave, you think they will price match online stores? I wonder....

Thanks for the advice, I'll use the moneys @ Performance for the clothing. Get the other gear online

-

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Your tires are probably fine. While Hutchinson makes crappy tires too, they also make a lot of nice tires. They're not an OEM-only brand or something.

If your bike will accept a rack that bolts on, IMO those are a lot better.

Buy your helmet and shoes locally. They have to fit well. If locally means your local Performance, that's perfectly fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Good point on the helmet and shoes, absolutely a good point.

The Roubaix won't accept a bolt on, unfortunately. Is there a way to make a bike accept a bolt on that doesn't already? Otherwise, I've gotta go with the seat post rack unfortunately.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    A couple of ways.

You can use P-clamps around the seat stays. Probably not advisable with carbon.

You can use a rack that mounts to the dropout with a quick-release skewer.

My instinct is that that would be a better option than P-clamps on a metal frame too - I think it would be a more secure attachment.

IME, two stays from a rack to the seat stays up top, secured with P-clamps, are better than a single stay secured to the brake mounting bolt at the seatstay bridge.

It's too bad a lot of bikes aren't shipping with eyelets anymore. I can't imagine they add much weight, and they do improve the versatility of a frame quite a lot.