Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Grasshoppa
    Apr 2011

Where do you position your genitals? Seriously

I've been road cycling for two years now. Each Saturday I ride with a local club for about 50-100 miles and then shorter rides during he week.
    Since I started I've tried different placements of my genitals while riding. It seems like everyone sort of does it differently. Ive looked through this forum and haven't seen much talk about this.

I used to make room for my genitals to go sideways or down and to the left while standing. Then while riding they would be in a compact bunch, moving around in relations to my legs, they would occassionally chaife or move around causing discomfort or a need for adjustment. This needed to change.

For the last 5 months or so I've found a better placement for my twig and berries and I'm curious, is this new way for me the standard for everyone else?
    I now put my bib on, nude of course, pull the shorts up till the chamois is snug against my taint (for lack of a better word) while flipping my entire scrotum, testicles, and penis directly up towards my belly button. My penis changes lengths in general, during riding as well, so for me keeping my penis stretched directly upwards with one testical on either side of where the chamois meets my taint is the most comfortable. When on and up, my
    genitals stay in place this way and ride comfort is superb as my tesitcles are never
    crushed and the tip of my penis not chaifed by the up and down motions closer to my
    legs.
    It was a real area of confusion for me when I first started riding with a padded cycling shorts, I think this should be addressed.
    What is your experience with your genitals in cycling shorts? Do you have suggestions?

Thanks

Not a rocket surgeon.
    What?

Just get a saddle with a cutout and drop them through the slot.
    It works fine untill you fall off.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    Learn to sit properly. That is place your sitbones on the right place at the rear, keep the lower back as perpendicular as possible and curve your spine.

Add a good and well fitting bibs, so they hold the package in place.

You'll have then air between your genitals and saddle.

If you can't curve your spine enough, then train to do so, try to reach your toes with your fingertips while keeping your legs straight,

Finally if you can't curve your back, you could try to tilt the saddle nose down, or maybe try a saddle with a valley like the fizik alliante or a saddle with a generous cutout.
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

Music Man
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamal-B View Post
    I've been road cycling for two years now. Each Saturday I ride with a local club for about 50-100 miles and then shorter rides during he week.
    Since I started I've tried different placements of my genitals while riding. It seems like everyone sort of does it differently. Ive looked through this forum and haven't seen much talk about this.

I used to make room for my genitals to go sideways or down and to the left while standing. Then while riding they would be in a compact bunch, moving around in relations to my legs, they would occassionally chaife or move around causing discomfort or a need for adjustment. This needed to change.

For the last 5 months or so I've found a better placement for my twig and berries and I'm curious, is this new way for me the standard for everyone else?
    I now put my bib on, nude of course, pull the shorts up till the chamois is snug against my taint (for lack of a better word) while flipping my entire scrotum, testicles, and penis directly up towards my belly button. My penis changes lengths in general, during riding as well, so for me keeping my penis stretched directly upwards with one testical on either side of where the chamois meets my taint is the most comfortable. When on and up, my
    genitals stay in place this way and ride comfort is superb as my tesitcles are never
    crushed and the tip of my penis not chaifed by the up and down motions closer to my
    legs.
    It was a real area of confusion for me when I first started riding with a padded cycling shorts, I think this should be addressed.
    What is your experience with your genitals in cycling shorts? Do you have suggestions?

Thanks
    Buying bib shorts that will hold everything in place is the first step in the comfort process. Next is finding a saddle you like. Maybe the one you have isn't right for you. I use a Selle Italia Turbomatic with the cutout. I also use Bag Balm to help prevent chafing. There are times whe things do shift around, and I'll do the same as you, point junior towards the top to prevent further chafing. I keep my area below shaven, so I'm not getting "root rash" from pubic hair.

Bikes, Guns & Metal...
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_Lover View Post
    Learn to sit properly. That is place your sitbones on the right place at the rear, keep the lower back as perpendicular as possible and curve your spine.

Add a good and well fitting bibs, so they hold the package in place.

You'll have then air between your genitals and saddle.

If you can't curve your spine enough, then train to do so, try to reach your toes with your fingertips while keeping your legs straight,

Finally if you can't curve your back, you could try to tilt the saddle nose down, or maybe try a saddle with a valley like the fizik alliante or a saddle with a generous cutout.
    +1

For some odd reason I recently purchased a short that I thought made my penis numb and I was blaming it on the shorts but now after a few tips from fellow cyclist now I ride on the saddle with a better form and I have had no problems any more.

Cycling induced anoesis

I now put my bib on, nude of course, pull the shorts up till the chamois is snug against my taint (for lack of a better word) while flipping my entire scrotum, testicles, and penis directly up towards my belly button. My penis changes lengths in general, during riding as well, so for me keeping my penis stretched directly upwards with one testical on either side of where the chamois meets my taint is the most comfortable. When on and up, my genitals stay in place this way and ride comfort is superb as my tesitcles are never crushed and the tip of my penis not chaifed by the up and down motions closer to my legs.

Do you have suggestions?

Thanks
    What you're describing pretty much mirrors my pre-ride prep as well.

From your post I get the sense this is more a 'discovery' on your part and informational, rather than seeking 'corrective' advice. If so, I don't see this as a bike related fit issue, so you obviously want to avoid making adjustments to (or swapping out) your saddle.

As far as the bib versus shorts comments, IME 'well designed/ well made' matter more than the type, so specific to this topic, I don't see either choice making a difference. What you describe pre-ride, will.

As always, YMMV.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_Lover View Post

I usually suggest focusing on the hips, not the spine, but good advice.

Basically, the hips should remain relatively vertical when you lean to the bars, so the sit bones are pressing straight down on the saddle. The spine above the hips cants forward, the rest of the spine should be relatively straight, given a proper fit. This also keeps pressure off the hands. And it keeps the bits a little higher relative to the saddle.

It is very hard to describe, but easy to feel. It is also something that is much more difficult to do when you first try to do it. After a few rides of paying attention, it becomes the habit.

As for the bits, I have good bibs. On occasion I find a bit of an issue, with older bibs, and then I do go to the vertical positioning. Usually that is not an issue, but when it is it does help, ime.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Adventure Seeker
    I thought it was a personal preference. I do like it where the chamois is larger and overlaps to reduce chafing. As you can tell by the famous pic below, it really is a preference.
    I have a single track mind

banned
    Jul 2011
    Will go against the grain here. If you are moving around that much either (a) get tighter shorts/bib or (b) wear compression shorts underneath.

I choose b. I know most disagree but there is some research (last months Bicycling) about this reducing soreness and recovery. Also it just feels better to me plus allows me to maybe wear lesser expensive shorts without a difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    legs.
    Thanks for sharing. I always let them hang down and to the left. I never noticed until I was riding the Tandem with my wife and she told me that I leaned the bike to the right while riding, and I think this is the cause. I'll give that a try and see if it helps me ride staighter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    mr. happy points up and towards my left shoulder.

hth
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    High and tight.....like a running back carrying a football

Grasshoppa
    Apr 2011
    That photo speaks volumes, but it does seem that a high percentage of those gents put there gents like many of us have described here- high and tight. Nice info people, I don't feel alone in this being a real topic of consideration.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

An old song

legs.

Thanks
    All of which brings to mind an old camp song:

"Do your **** hang low, do they wobble too and fro?
    Can you tie them in a knot, can you tie them in a bow?
    Can you throw them over your shoulder like a Continental soldier?
    Do your **** hang low?"

Lemur-ing
    Sorry, I just thought the first post, while a real question I know, to be really funny and it made me laugh. So, thanks for the laugh.

Seriously though - like others said, you need to sit properly because people underestimate (well, some at least) how proper saddle position helps relieve discomfort in the back, hips, etc etc.

And of course, a saddle that suits you best too. Some prefer a gel saddle. Some don't.

Other than that, it sounds like you got it figured out with the specifics. Just keep cycling!
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

Anti-Hero
    Flagpole.

...at least, that's what I notice.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    Flagpole.

...at least, that's what I notice.

If it is works for the pros, then it works for me, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where do you position your genitals? Seriously-flagpole-1.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Ah, pics of smushed peckers.

WTF?

RoadBikeReview Member
    My wife holds them...no problem at all...

Do people really think about this that much???

Try different positions. Find one that works. DON'T tell everyone else about it.

And seriously...."twig and berries"?..... are we 9 years old here or what?
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Get one of these. No squeezing, no chafing. Wear an ordinary, unpadded nylon swimming suit. And never worry about your twig and berries. I've got 7000 miles of experience.

moonsaddle.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trek2.3 View Post
    Get one of these. No squeezing, no chafing. Wear an ordinary, unpadded nylon swimming suit. And never worry about your twig and berries. I've got 7000 miles of experience.

moonsaddle.com

LOL! That's a good joke. I almost fell for it. But then I realized that no one who is sane would a) ride that saddle anywhere in public b) wear a swim suit while riding a bike.

Actually, I wish there WERE people who rode that saddle while wearing a swimsuit so I could point at them and laugh.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    This thread was so full of win it was just resurrected on MTBR!
    http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...ml#post9749212

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    My wife holds them...no problem at all...
    Priceless.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wait, when your schlong hangs to one side you have to lean the bike the other way?
    Them thars some bragging rights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast