RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

Windsor Whistler II?

Soo, I'm trying to get into my first road bike. I've been prety close with my LBS since well before. I was born actually(brother use to ride) so naturally I want to buy from him and I will be able to make payment if needed, so far tho the only bike in my size is a Windsor Whistler II. Now I've done some serching and cant find **** on the bike.

To me it looks to be decent quality, but there is a problem, the bike has arrow bars with the shifters at the ends of them and what looks like flipped and chopped drop bars? I'm assuming this means it a trial bike, but it feels pretty good from the little i know. So does anyone have any info on this bike? Also do you think a quick bar change will let the bike work for a noob like me?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Link?

Or a picture...

True time trial bikes usually have somewhat funky geometry. Not all bikes with time trial bars are time trial bikes. So, I don't know if that bike would work well for you.

The standard advice is to ride a few bikes and buy your favorite.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Ill try to snap a picture if I wonder over there tomorrow.

Explain funky geometry, I under stand what they do on a bmx bike but I can see how any of that would matter on a bike that keeps it wheels on the ground haha

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    It would make it difficult for you to set up the bike for both a good riding position for you and good handling. The bike might be too slow or too quick to turn, get weird on descents, that kind of thing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Ya, I just read an article about he differences, but it says the main deal is a trial bike is harder to ride in a group, and trial bikes are better if you don't live in a hilly state( witch I don't) and I don't plan on riding with people since I love the alone time wile on a bike.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by xj bmx View Post
    Ya, I just read an article about he differences, but it says the main deal is a trial bike is harder to ride in a group, and trial bikes are better if you don't live in a hilly state( witch I don't) and I don't plan on riding with people since I love the alone time wile on a bike.
    The positive characteristics of a tri/ TT setup can work against a recreational rider, whether they ride solo or in a group. Namely, a more forward biased, aero position, that's designed to work best when appreciable pressure is applied to the pedals, as is the case during tri's/ TT's.

For most recreational riders, since rides are generally longer in duration, most spend some time cruising.. maintaining their speed, and a true tri bike (with their requisite steep ST angles) doesn't offer them the best riding position.

Without knowing more about the geo of the bike in question, this is about as specific as one can get, but here's an article that points up the differences in setup/ riding position of TT/ road bikes.
    Tri Bike Fit

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Ahh, I see what your saying, so basically if it is a purpose built tri frame it will force me to put more weight on my arms than a standard road bike causing a sooner fatigue?

Hmm, ill see if he will let me ride it for a few days and see from there, since I'm use to almost no pressure on my arms on my 20" that may be a problem.