Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Bianchi Infinito frame sizing question

This is a very informative forum so I thought I'd post my query relating to bianchi frame sizing here. This is my first post here and any inputs are very welcome.

I am 5'11 (180 cm) with an inseam of 32 1/2 inches (82 cm). I presently ride a size 53 Bianchi Camaleonte Duo (pic attached) which is a road oriented hybrid with the seat post elevated to stretch my legs out at the appropriate angle. I do about 15 km every day at an average speed>25kmph and have never found this frame uncomfortable or had any back pain.

I am now thinking of picking up a road bike, and was looking at the C2C infinito. According to frame size calculators online, the appropriate frame size for me would be a 56/57 cm frame. Unfortunately the LBS only has a size 53 in stock but is insisting it will be alright for me. He also claims that Bianchi has no inventory for larger frames this year so he can't order me a larger one.

The 53cm infinito felt vastly uncomfortable for my back when I sat on it. This may of course also be due to my being unused to road bikes in general. What do you guys think? At that price point, I naturally do not want to end up with a wrong sized frame. The LBS raised the seat on the 53 cm on the Infinito enough for me to be able to reach the ground only on tiptoes, but I assume this will also increase the drop to the handlebars (which can be raised only slightly to compensate).

Thanks for the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bianchi Infinito frame sizing question-photo328.jpg  

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    I'm 184 cm and those four cm between us are inseam. I also have long arms (wingspan 191 cm, gorilla factor > 1). I ride a 57cm Infinito, and I would not recommend you to go for a smaller frame than that.
    Last edited by kbwh; 11-28-2010 at 12:53 PM.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    55cm for a agresive fit
    57cm for a comfort fit
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    I'm only a 1/2" taller than you and I ride a 57cm Mono-Q - Bianchi size is related to top tube length. I tried a 55 and it was way too small - if your LBS is suggesting a 53cm I would suggest moving to a different LBS! Personally I think Salsa Lover is spot on - 55 for an aggresive riding style, 57 for comfort. My age pushes me towards the latter!

Stu.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    I think your LBS owner is full of balogna and is trying to sell you a smaller bike than you need. I also think he's full of crap when he says they haven't made any larger frames too. All he would need to do is get up off of his duff and call his Bianchi rep and order one for you.

I'm 5'8" with an inseam of 30". I ride a 55cm Infinito. You're taller than me and have a larger inseam, so I would imagine that you need at least a 57cm frame. If you are unhappy with your LBS and his balogna, call Bianchi's toll free number on their website and ask them if they have a larger frame in your size. Chances are, they do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adjtogo
    I think your LBS owner is full of balogna and is trying to sell you a smaller bike than you need.
    I smell that, too. I applaud you for wanting to stick with Bianchi, but I refuse to buy from an LBS that sizes people wrong to make a quick sale.

Born Again Cyclist
    As usual, lots of good advice in this thread. ‘Salsa Lover’ has nailed right on the head. I agree with the common consensus that your LBS is yanking your chain.

I am 5'10 inches and ride a 55cm Infinito. Most of my height is in my legs which makes my inseam comparable to yours. I feel the 55cm is a good fit for me considering my riding style. I certainly would NOT be going with a smaller frame.
    Last edited by Cruisinscoot; 11-28-2010 at 03:42 PM.
    Infinito - a bike without limits.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the incredibly prompt and helpful responses everyone! Unfortunately walking away from the LBS would also mean walking away from the brand since they are the sole importers and dealers for both Banchi and Cannondale in my country.

I will however be letting them know that I am not going to be helpful and clear their inventory for them by picking up the 53 cm frame, and that if they want my custom they're going to have to order a 57 cm frame for me. Hopefully they will change their tune after that.

@adjtogo, spade2you- perhaps balogna is only to be expected from an italian brand?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Sounds like this has already been solved...but I will mention that I am also 5'11 and I ride a 57. I tested the 55, it would have worked but was slightly more cramped than I would have liked. 53...no way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Hi

Just ordered 59cm Bianchi Infinitio Black and White I currently ride an 928 which is 57cm It always felt a bit small for my size 6'1" 170 lbs My age is also coming in to play and a bad back Hope the 59cm works out Frame should be in from Italy in 4 weeks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    To double check - you can go to:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...LCULATOR_INTRO

and fill out the info....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    i m 1,84m with 89cm inseam. My infinito is 59 and I might had better used a no setback seatpost, i believe 58 (of 928...) would be my perfect fit.

But i went the comfy way, instead of pushing down to 57...

This size was given by bianchi italy when I asked my bianchi distributor asked for me. We asked them before the order... Bianchi sizing is different from other companies. My standard size would be 55-56

I believe your size is 57

also check out this size chart

http://www.evanscycles.com/product_d...zing-chart.pdf

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks AnkleChop and imitsus

According to these charts and fittings i'm ok with the 59 58 would be perfect but they do not make it

Looking forward to riding it

imitsus, your bike looks sweeeeeeet!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vikekev
    Thanks AnkleChop and imitsus

According to these charts and fittings i'm ok with the 59 58 would be perfect but they do not make it

Looking forward to riding it

imitsus, your bike looks sweeeeeeet!
    well, I have to admit, I was answering to the first post, i hadnt read yours .... goofy style...
    thats why I suggested 57....

anyway, thanks for the comment, I ve update it a little with a new 3k carbon stem (oval r900). I like campagnolo a lot, and if I was building it know I would put an 11 speed groupset... I ve also gotten a new camera, and Im planning a sunny day photoshoot....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    FWIW, I ultimately got a 57cm Bianchi infinito, and it suits me perfectly. The bianchi sizing chart posted above would suggest I need a 55cm frame if the inseam measurement is the determining factor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008

I bet you'd be horrified if you rode the 53cm Infinito again

Stu.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Definitely- that thing had an insane amount of drop!

RoadBikeReview Member
    That chart is a load of bull.

Each model varies in geometry. Every fit calculator suggests I am a 57cm Infinito. The chart would have me on a 60cm---big variance. You just can't base a fit on all Bianchi's from one chart.
    "People ask me what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike - busting my ass - six hours a day. What are you on?"
    Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Likewise the Evans chart would suggest a much bigger frame for me than my Mono-Q ........ best way is definately to either be measured or use a tool such as the Competitive Cyclist calculator, then refer to the specific geometries for the bike in question. The geometry for the Infinito is on the Bianchi website: http://www.bianchi.com/global/bikes/...IDMaster=48529

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by skygodmatt
    That chart is a load of bull.

Each model varies in geometry. Every fit calculator suggests I am a 57cm Infinito. The chart would have me on a 60cm---big variance. You just can't base a fit on all Bianchi's from one chart.
    Bianchi sizes differently. THey measure differently. On a fit calc I m for 56 but my bianchi size is 59. Check out the geometries on their web site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Hi there,
    Since this thread is on the topic of sizing and I am now looking for a size to fit me I would ask if anyone out there has similar specs "to me" riding an Infinito. I am 5'6, 30" inseam, 140 lbs.

Adjtogo at 5'8, 30" inseam is similar to me and riding a 57cm, this just seems big to me? I was thinking a 53? maybe I should be looking at a 55 or 57? The way things are looking now there is only a 50cm left (in red) as I am told by the LBS? Maybe they are trying to sell the Madone that they used for fitting purposes as they are a Trek dealer and would rather push Trek's?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Maybe I made a mistake about posting the proper size Infinito I have, or maybe you misread it along the lines somewhere, but I have a 55cm frame, not a 57 cm frame. The bike fits me like a glove once I had it professionally fitted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    oops, you were right adjtogo. I misread the size of your bike with the size you were recomending to the OP. you did say you had a 55cm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Bizman - I'm just over 5'7" with a 29.5" inseam and had a pro-fit on a Sempre 2 weeks ago, although its a racier model than the infinito...sizing is similar like for like.

I was fitted perfectly to a 53 ....there is no way I'd have even considered a 55 for my statistics.

In my experience given that you certainly want some seatpost showing and at least 100mm stem - I cant imagine you needing a 55

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Hey,
    Today I remembered a shop I called a while back that had a 55 & 57 and they still do, both red with Ultegra components. To clear my head I decided to go see the infinito and test ride one if one would fit. Although a 200+ mile round trip I decided what I want now, INFINITO!!!

The 55 was the only one considered. I was professionaly fitted to this bike to make sure it could work before taking it out for a test ride. Can't say enough good about how this guy took 5 hours with me to make sure this bike would fit. He didn't know me and I dind't know him but I am going to buy a bike there. He was really professional, made you feel at home, seemed to want to make things right for you and not just sell bikes. Isn't that the way it should be!

Anyway, I took it out, YES this is it! It felt real good, fast, & responsive, far better than the otherbikes I rode for comparison (atleast in my mind and thats what counts). My fitter still thinks it might be just a bit big. He may be right, but to me it felt pretty good overall! But if a 53 would become available I would want to check that out too.

He is going to talk to his rep and see if he can find a 53 (the rep just found him a 57 in celeste, maybe a 53 in celeste? I'll settle for a red 53 though). I know this is all a long shot but he would rather see me on a 53 giving more options for adjustment in the long run.

He said, after a long ride or after I get used to the bike a while I may start to notice a pain here or there which could mean a stem change (shorter) and with the 55 I could not go any shorter of a stem. The stem is the biggest concern to him with selling me the 55 if I really would need a shoter stem.

I also then tried out a lynskey Ti (he sells these too) size 54 with a 10 sp campognolo "Chorus" components. A nice bike but for me was not as quick as the Infinito. I really liked the campognolo components, this was my first time using them. Now I want them!

Well, thats where I am at with my fit. Preferably a 53 for more adjustment but a 55 could do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast