Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Bianchi Via Nirone 7 to Bianchi Impulso

Is it worth upgrading a 2012 Via Nirone 7 Tiagra 10 speed bike to a Bianchi Impulso 105?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    The frame makes up about 15-20% of what the bike "feels" like given you're staying on the same size...your contact points and components make up about 35%.....your wheels/tires are about 45%....those are numbers from my experience and speaking with others about the topic.

If you love your bike as it is upgrade the wheels and tires.....get some super lightweight clinchers or some deep carbon wheels depending on your riding style. Mich Pro3's with lightweight tubes and your bike will feel like a whole new machine without ever changing your fit.

When I ride my Via Nirone to work and take my Oltre out for a spin I only feel the frame difference when I put down more than 400-500 watts.....otherwise the frames are almost identical while cruising. The headtube angle makes the front end twitchy compared to the Via Nirone but the Impulsio is the same as the Via Nirone in the head tube so for you that wouldnt even be an issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Hey, if you already have a 2012 nirone then that would be the biggest waste of money ever, but I'm going to assume you mean Impulso105 over Tiagra nirone as a purchase, and if the extra cash is worth it between the two?

I'd question if you'd notice *that* much difference between the frames, although only riding it yourself would show that, also are you going to ride in anger that much? I certainly wasn't that taken with the Impulso in the end, but that is personal choice and had as much to do with aesthetics than anything else (even though some would say the Impulso is the better looking of the two!) plus I guess I was won over by riding campagnolo on the Nirone.... 105 is obviously an upgrade on the groupset, but other components are pretty much the same everywhere else.

T K
    wasssabi
    looks like to me taller head tube and different tube shapes are what you get with the impulso. I would think they would have different ride characteristics the impulso most likely being more compliant. I was at the shop yesterday looking at both bikes I found the impulso in celeste to be most sexy I want one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    The Impulsion is an ALU version of the Infinito...same angles and head tube heights.....its heavier than the via nirone in order to achieve a more compliant and stiffer ride but not by that much.

Its a better frame than the Via Nirone but honestly 85% of the time you wouldnt know...and the other 15% you might notice the added stiffness, thats about it(you are still better off buying a used carbon frame if you want stiffness).

If you like your Via Nirone then keep it, its an AMAZING bike. I never sold mine after I got my Oltre for the simple reason that I love the hell out of it.

Unless of course someone wants to sell me a carbon mono q in 53cm with the tri-color paint ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Many thanks all for your comments.

Pissedmonkey, yes I already have the Via Nirone 2012 and I'm contemplating upgrading to the Impulso as it is a better frame with 105 components. Maybe I should keep my VN7 and upgrade the shifters/derailleurs to 105 or even Integra. What do you all think?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Get wheels.....VN7s come with **** wheels. Get some 1400G clinchers or some deep carbons for flats and enjoy....it makes a world of difference....your shifting will not

EDIT: Almost forgot, when you get new wheels dont forget good tires/tubes.....get sub 200g tires like Mich Pro3s or Conti GPS and some lightweight tubes under 90g. The difference in your tires alone outweighs almost anything else you change on the bike.

Weight at the end of the wheel is the easiest thing to reduce and probably gives more bang for the buck than any other component upgrade

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by T K View Post
    looks like to me taller head tube and different tube shapes are what you get with the impulso. I would think they would have different ride characteristics the impulso most likely being more compliant. I was at the shop yesterday looking at both bikes I found the impulso in celeste to be most sexy I want one.
    Well that's interesting, the Impulso is certainly not available in celeste in the UK (yet anyway), and as I wanted the veloce the nirone actually won out - and with the carbon seat stays it even costs more than the Impulso veloce would you believe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianchi-67 View Post
    Many thanks all for your comments.

Pissedmonkey, yes I already have the Via Nirone 2012 and I'm contemplating upgrading to the Impulso as it is a better frame with 105 components. Maybe I should keep my VN7 and upgrade the shifters/derailleurs to 105 or even Integra. What do you all think?
    Oh right, well if you have a 2012 and are thinking of upgrading already can I ask why? Are you unhappy with the nirone? If youre not, I'd say you're better to stick with it and upgrade parts if you have the cash to splash.

Wheels wheels wheels......I've got rid of the stock tyres straight away, and will ditch the wheels as soon as I've got enough saved to get a decent set. World of difference.

I've yet to see a review showing the real world riding difference between the Nirone and Impulso, but Bianchi themselves admit the Impulso was made with the looks being more important than performance when it came to their design process, something to take on board at least.

Can you test ride an Impulso? Might answer all you questions (I had exactly the same ones!)
    Last edited by pissedmonkey; 04-10-2012 at 01:40 PM.

T K
    wasssabi
    from what I can tell taking a quick look at the geo charts the via narone and the impulso are exactly the same other than head tube length. in the usa the impulso comes in celeste with 105. I I wished it came with something else besides 105

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    bro. upgrading from alu to alu in this day and age? thats def. a waste. Why not try a different bike brand like ... lets say a cannodale supersix. I own a relatevely recent bianchi infitito, but after a while i got tired of the celeste, and so many othr people had celeste i was like gaaaahhh, not again!!.

So i got cannodale supersix3,2011. Not as comfortable as infinito, but..... way. way . way. way faster. the thing is a cheetah. and preeeetty comfortable as well. try othr brands out, or upgrade to carbon!!!!!!!

T K
    wasssabi
    Quote Originally Posted by hoblxblood View Post
    bro. upgrading from alu to alu in this day and age? thats def. a waste. Why not try a different bike brand like ... lets say a cannodale supersix. I own a relatevely recent bianchi infitito, but after a while i got tired of the celeste, and so many othr people had celeste i was like gaaaahhh, not again!!.

So i got cannodale supersix3,2011. Not as comfortable as infinito, but..... way. way . way. way faster. the thing is a cheetah. and preeeetty comfortable as well. try othr brands out, or upgrade to carbon!!!!!!!
    You can "upgrade" from one aluminum bike to another. In this particular case, maybe not so much.
    And jeez! For the millionth time, just because it's carbon does not mean it is an upgrade.
    I'll take my old Cannondale Caad 5 any day in a race over some new low grade, mushy carbon POS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hoblxblood View Post

I had an Infinito and I've ridden a supersix and the difference is not like you are describing unless the wheelsets were radically different. Depending on the size your infinito should have had a slightly more relaxed seat tube angle which would put you in a less aggressive position over the BB by a few millimeters, and the headtube angle would be less aggressive giving it a straighter/corrective steering feel.

Carbon vs ALU for stiffness is obviously a no brainer but unless you're putting down over 400 watts I HIGHLY doubt you are losing more than 1% to frame flex. In fact I would guess that your wheels flex and lose more power than your frame possibly could under heavy load. If you dont think so take your bike and sprint and feel that squish at the bottom of your pedal stroke (you are probably thinking thats the frame)....now borrow some zip 606's with round spokes and try to feel the squish....betcha its not there ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    well, bianchi infinito is for comfort.hence the `coast to coast`. supersix is more racing type, but with the right wheels and seat it can be almost as comfortable in my opinion. Put about 3000miles on infinito and sold it.

I just thought the cannondle was much faster, more responsive. but not as comfortable. But you get used to it and by changing seat,wheels, comfort can go up as much as you want.
    GoooOOOO ! ... Liquigaaaassss!

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    The Impulso can take 27-28mm tires. Not sure if the VN7 can take much more than 25mm.

As for the geometries, Epic Cycles show the Impulso and VN7 to be the same and the Infinito more aggressive:

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/images/...pulso-geom.jpg
    http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/images/...i-VN7-geom.jpg
    http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/images/...Geometries.gif

I would get some proper wheels and tires for your current bike. Fulcrum Racing 3 is a lot of wheel for all round use, and tires like Conti GP400s, Michelin Pro4Race Service Course, and Vittoria Open Corsa Evo SC (not CX!) are all the bees knees with latex tubes. Get a good floor pump too.
    Last edited by kbwh; 04-11-2012 at 10:56 PM.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The wife is getting the Impulso and we are about the same height so I should be able to ride both the VN7 & the Impulso.

Does anyone know If the Impulso is unisex?

T K
    wasssabi
    The wife is getting the Impulso and we are about the same height so I should be able to ride both the VN7 & the Impulso.

Does anyone know If the Impulso is unisex?
    Well, usually the only diff between mens and womens bikes is womens bikes have a shorter top tube and come in girlie colors. Women tend to have longer legs and shorter torsos and like girlie colors. So your wife may need one size smaller bike than you or just need a shorter stem. That is unless you guys are built the same. Meaning arm leg and torso lenghth. Just get it in Celeste. That would then be unisex.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 to Bianchi Impulso-imageuploadedbytapatalk1334380843.588251.jpgThanks TK. This is what the Impulso Veloce looks like. Not a lot of Celeste

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 to Bianchi Impulso-imageuploadedbytapatalk1334380905.026577.jpgAnd the Impulso 105

T K
    wasssabi
    You must not be in the US. Impulso 105 is Celeste.
    Those are both beauties.
    I don't need an Impulso, but damn it I want one!

T K
    wasssabi
    Here is the one I want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bianchi Via Nirone 7 to Bianchi Impulso-impuslo105celeste.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    We just got back from Evans Cycles and they persuaded us to opt for the VN7 Veloce instead of the Impulso Veloce. Apparently the Impulso was designed and made in China and not an authentic Italian bike. Not sure how true this is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That is a nice looking bike TK.

Yep! I am in the UK and not the US.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Pissedmonkey, please are you able to share a picture of your bike with us? Would love to see your upgraded wheels on the bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Pissedmonkey, please are you able to share a picture of your bike with us? Would love to see your upgraded wheels on the bike
    Good choice in bikes! Will post soon, although I've only done tyres so far, so won't look too different to yours.... I can confirm the veloce via nirone is clearly marked up "made in Italy", and the Impulso is Taiwan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast