Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    T K
    wasssabi

Identify and Price (older steel)

Help please.
    I know a guy with a frameset only for sale.(like this one I think) what am I looking at?
    It has the crome fork and stays. I cant remember if the frame was lugged or not. I have seen similar bikes on here with lugs.
    I'm really interested but I know nothing (first vintage steel) and don't want to over pay or get something I can't ride daily if I so choose. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Identify and Price (older steel)-b1.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Lugged vs welded will make a difference in price. The lugged version of the one above would be most likely Columbus SLX or SL tubed and be mid-80's to very early 90's. A lugged version in good condition would probably bring $290-400 on eBay, CL or local sale would be a bit less.

You may move this to the Retro forum, you will get good info there.

T K
    wasssabi
    Just got back from checking it out, er, buying it. It is lugged, I think the sticker on the seat tube said sl. For some reason I'm thinking el. Anyway, cable is internaly routed on chain stay. Forks are threaded and all chrome, not celeste on the crown like I have seen. Was a lot lighter than I thought it would be. Tubes are so thin feeling, I was kinda shocked. Was also surprised it has an English not Italian BB.
    I left the guy a deposit and I'll get her later.
    Never thought I'd get a Bianchi, let alone a Celeste one, but it just spoke to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    looks like an higher end frame, but i can't be sure (i'm not expert). the original component spec as well as the dropouts should help the experts identify the bike.

anyway, it looks beautiful and should ride just as nice. congrats!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    If the frame set was EL-OS you have quite a prize.

T K
    wasssabi
    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    If the frame set was EL-OS you have quite a prize.
    I got her for $250 so lets hope. I'll try to pick it up by the end of the week. Or I may go back tomorrow to take a pic or two.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    EL-OS seems to make sense with the internal routing and full chrome fork. I suspect it is a very nice frame and cannot wait to see pictures of it. What size?

T K
    wasssabi
    Quote Originally Posted by davcruz View Post
    EL-OS seems to make sense with the internal routing and full chrome fork. I suspect it is a very nice frame and cannot wait to see pictures of it. What size?
    Measured to be a 55. A 55 is also stamped on the bottom of the BB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    My TSX is lugged and has that same internal routing and chrome fork. Check the sticker on the seat tube, directly under the top tube junction, if it's still there...

Either way, it sounds like you got a great deal on a lovely frame

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've seen Bianchi's with the rear derailleur internal cable routing in SLX, TSX & EL-OS, so you got a good deal any way you look at it. Anxious to see photos. I have a 55 cm TSX model and love it.

T K
    wasssabi
    The sticker on the seat tube just says EL, no OS. Pics to come in a bit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    I just found this.
    EL Tube set for time trials over even terrain, climbs and triathlon events.Super-lightweight thanks to the reduced thickness of tubing made from the exclusive Nivacrom" steel with a very high yield point.
    Double-butted tubes and oval, butted unicrown fork blades. Nivacrom Steel - Weight: 1670 g
    0.6/0.8

butted

0.8/0.5/0.8

double butted

0.7/0.4/0.7

double butted

0.8/1.2

butted unicrown

2/1.55

butted + helical reinforcements

EL
    OVERSIZE Drawing on the experience with the EL set in the toughest professional competitions, this set features tubes of comparable lightness but with increased diameters for greater rigidity thanks to the use of the exclusive Nivacrom* steel.
    Nivacrom® Steel - Weight: 1800 g
    0.6/0.8

butted

0.7/0.4/0.7

double butted

0.7/0.4/0.7

double butted

1/0.6

butted unicrown

0.6/0.8

butted

2/1.55

butted + helical reinforcements

T K
    wasssabi
    O.K. lets try some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Identify and Price (older steel)-001.jpg   Identify and Price (older steel)-005.jpg   Identify and Price (older steel)-006.jpg   Identify and Price (older steel)-002.jpg   Identify and Price (older steel)-004.jpg  

T K
    wasssabi
    I just noticed looking at that seat tube sticker it says "over" on one side of the bird and "size" on the other.
    Last edited by T K; 03-15-2012 at 09:01 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    EL-OS, I love it and you got a great deal on that frame, Celeste no less! I am always watching for something like that to pop up locally, nothing yet though...

Enjoy the ride, what components you going to use for the build?

T K
    wasssabi
    I think it will be a Shimano mix. He also has a brand new (old stock) Ultegra Octolink crank he said he'd sell me for $120. Been looking on line for some other parts. Need to find a quill stem, headset and some shifters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Cane Creek makes a nice polished threaded headset. I'm still searching for my perfect quill stem. I'd love to find a polished one with a 2-bolt removable faceplate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    gotta go campagnolo on a bike like that. you just gotta. as far as headsets, CK or campag.

nice frame, i'm so jealous.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Woohoo.What a great score for $250. Congrats, keep putting up pics as it comes together.

Here's mine, with my vote for Campagnolo

Photobucket
    Last edited by velomateo; 03-16-2012 at 02:36 PM.

T K
    wasssabi
    Thanks all. I can't wait to get her on the road.
    About Campy, I'm not familiar with it at all. I was a Shimano guy now a Sram guy. I have some Shimano stuff around and I know more about it. But anyway, I think this bike was meant for Shimano because like I said in my first post it has an English not Italian BB, wich is wierd considering the guy said orig owner said he bought it new in Italy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah the english BB is a little curious--I wonder why they'd put an english BB on a lugged 90's italian bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by charlox5 View Post
    Yeah the english BB is a little curious--I wonder why they'd put an english BB on a lugged 90's italian bike.
    My 1996 TSX has an English BB shell too and, according to the interwebs, was originally equipped with Campy Chorus. Go figure...

BikePedia - 1996 Bianchi TSX Complete Bicycle Chorus&Type=bike

T K
    wasssabi
    From what I've read the EL-OS was only sold as a frameset and was used by Biachi sponsored pros. If that were the case I would imagine if a team also had a Shimano deal they would need English BB's. Or if someone was buying as a frameset they may not have wanted Campy.
    Just a guess.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think, by the mid nineties, the English bottom bracket was becoming the standard. You could buy a English thread Campagnolo bottom bracket - they weren't all Italian, just because they were from an Italian company. I believe the English thread bottom brackets were just easier to get from most component manufacturers. My TSX Bianchi also has an English bottom bracket.

T K
    wasssabi
    I see PBK has full Tiagra groups for $460. Includes, cranks, BB, shifters, brakes, frnt and rear der., cass. and chain. All I'll need is a headstet, bars, and either a quill stem adapter(I have extra newer stems) or a quill stem and a seat post. I have all the other parts I need.
    Tiagra in my experience has been plenty good for what I'll be doing on this bike. JRA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast